Why are you upgrading your SVS?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnnyHK, Jan 18, 2002.

1. JohnnyHK

JohnnyHK Stunt Coordinator

I'm wrestling with my own decision with which SVS to get. The current leader is the 20-39pc. My room is 11x23x7.5 (1900 ft3), but one of the 23' walls opens up into a larger area. My only concern with the 20-39pc is that it might bottom out during peak bass sequences, even though I'm not likely to ever listen at full reference levels.

As a result, I'd love to hear the reasons why folks are upgrading their existing SVS to either the plus line or just buying a second. Are you bottoming, and if so at what listening level and roomsize? You get the idea. I think this could help a lot of new buyers like myself get a better feel for things.

Thanks!

John

2. JoelO

JoelO Stunt Coordinator

I have the 20-39CS running w/ Carver 280W amp. My room size is 14'x19'x8' w/ 2 openings on the back side walls of 6' & 3' each. I can't tell how loud I was playing my movie, coz my receiver doesn't have -xx for volume, but I suspect it's about -10 to -15 below reference (just a guess though). I just sold the 20-39CS and getting the 20-39CS+ w/ S1000, coz my sub was bottoming when playing TPM THX intro, Iron Giant & Toy Story. Normally I don't watch my movie that loud, but I just like the idea of having the capability of doing so.. [​IMG]
    Joel

3. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

My room size is only 12’ x 14’ and I had DUAL 20-39 CS’s in there powered by two 240-Watt Parasound Mono Amps.

I NEVER once bottomed out the subs even on the Phantom Menace or Toy Story 2.

I just couldn’t pass up the limited time upgrade deal that SVS was offering.

After selling the subs & Amps I’m upgrading to the PLUS series with a 1000 Watt Amp it’s only costing me about 150 bucks.

Usually upgrades cost an arm and a leg, but this one was a no-brainer.

The only drawback is right now its Friday night and I’m reading the Forum instead of watching a movie.

My system is currently Sub-less and will remain OFF until the new guys show up on my doorstep.

Shawn S

PS……JohnnyHK, I think your room layout screams for DUAL SVS’s.

It sounds like you have a LOT of air to move there.

E-Mail Tom/Ron with the specs and I think they will agree.

4. JohnnyHK

Anyone else? [​IMG]

5. KevinHunt

KevinHunt Stunt Coordinator

I just sold dual 16-46CS subs and a Samson S700 that I used in a 2800 cubic foot room that opened into the guess bedroom, dining are, kitchen and entry way. All totalled, well over 4000 cub. ft. by my estimates. Never bottomed them once on any DVD including TPM, TS2, U571, Haunting, etc.. Like Shawn, I couldn't pass up the offer to current customers on the CS+ line. Now I have dual 46CS+s and S1000 on the way, and yes I'm bassless as well until I take delivery. [​IMG]

6. David Giles

David Giles Stunt Coordinator

John,

I've had a very interesting (and happy) experience with SVS. Back in November, I ordered a 16-46PC. My HT room is about 1,500 ft3, and the 16-46PC filled it wonderfully. But one time it did bottom on me during the intro of Toy Story 2. That was however before I had it properly calibrated. After calibrating, it never bottomed on me again, but if I was REALLY cranking it, it could sound a little "strained". During normal listening (10 or so dB's below reference-still LOUD) it sounded great, but Joel pretty much nailed it when he said "Normally I don't watch my movie that loud, but I just like the idea of having the capability of doing so.."

So after agonizing over it, I decided to stretch my budget a little further and sent the 16-46PC back and ordered a CS_Ultra with a B-stock Samson 700. The CS_Ultra was awesome, and it never bottomed on me. For that matter, I don't think I ever heard it even "straining". I was a happy clam, with the only caveat being that I might have possibly liked to add a second CS_U in the future. I'm hoping to build a larger HT room in the near future, and the extra capacity would be nice to have.

BUT THEN, Ron and Tom decided to offer the 20% discount to previous SVS customers on the new CS+ line. That planted the seeds of upgrade-itis. I'm normally not a frequent upgrader, as I've kept my main speakers for over twelve years, and just recently upgraded my twelve year old receiver. But SVS bass is addictive and you find yourself wanting all the performance you can possibly afford. Just out of curiosity, I calculated my cost to purchase a dual 16-46CS+/Samson 1000 package. I realized that if I could sell my CS_Ultra/S700 for $1,000, then I'd only have to cough up another $279 plus shipping for the dual 16-46CS+/S1000 package. The DUAL 16-46CS+'s powered by the 500 watt/channel S1000 should SIGNIFICANTLY outperform my single Ultra/S700, AND would give me pretty close to the same performance as adding a second CS_Ultra (a $959 upgrade) to my single CS_Ultra/S700. Like Shawn said, I thought it was a no-brainer. And I got about 15 salivating buyers wanting the Ultra/S700 within just a few hours of posting it for sale.

I guess technically, you could say I "downgraded". The CS+ line is a small step below the Ultra. But for around $340 more (including shipping!), I'll be getting DUAL 16-46CS+'s with significantly more output AND slightly better extension than I had with the Ultra. I've severly blown my budget for bass, but I'm pretty sure I'll be satisfied for a LONG time with the twins. Of course right this minute I'm without bass, and once you've grown used to high quality subwoof-age, going without is MISERABLE! I threw in Pearl Harbor the other day just for the heck of it, and nearly cried.

Now as to whether the 20-39PC will be adequate for you, it's hard to say. It will definitely blow you away. It has more output than the 16-46PC I had, but your room is a little larger too. Of course placement and calibration are VERY important, but if you try to play the intro to TPM or the first ten minutes or so of Toy Story 2 at or near reference levels, it's quite possible you MAY bottom the 20-39PC. But since you said you're not likely to ever listen at full reference levels, I'm betting you won't have any problem.

David

7. JohnnyHK

[​IMG] Guys, thank you so much for taking the time to relay your experiences. It's extremly helpful!