Why are Yamaha receivers considered bright?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by VinhT, Jan 14, 2004.

1. VinhT

VinhT Second Unit

I just read a recent review of a Yamaha RX-V640 at http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...3-part-1.html. The receiver was described as bright, which would seem to imply exaggerated top-end response. However, the frequency response graphs shown for the amplifier were pretty much ruler flat. So what makes Yamaha receivers bright when they measure flat just like all other receivers?

2. John S

John S Producer

What makes tone?? Many factors....

I mean even speaker wire can change the tone of any given setup, you tell us?????

3. Jamie Doucette

Jamie Doucette Stunt Coordinator

The "brightness" is a stigma that Yamaha can't seem to shake. I haven't found any Yamaha receiver to be bright for the past few models, yet people still claim that they are.

I found that review a little odd as on the first page it says:

Maybe I read it wrong or missed something.

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

LOL... I don't know, what makes Denon "warm"[​IMG]. Do not get caught up in warm vs' bright. When I hear reviews about a receiver being bright I consider it as meaning it is detailed. Which to me is a positive thing. If you heard the 640 and like the sound then buy it...that simple.

5. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

I have the RX-V630 and I don't think it sounds bright at all. I love the sound of Yamaha's, but I'd hardly classify them as bright, especially the newer ones.

6. RobCar

RobCar Stunt Coordinator

Detailed, yes. Bright, no. And of course, speakers have a lot to do with it. In my case (I have Bostons), the matchup is great. I tend to characterize the sound as smooth.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I can even add that I had an older model, the RX-V793, and I did not find it bright either. Quite neutral in fact.

8. keir

keir Stunt Coordinator

theres a lot of debate about amplifier sound. the only scientific tests i've heard about show they all sound the same with very few exceptions. i wouldnt believe that the yamaha is brighter than other amps.

9. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I agree with Jamie that the last few model years have not been bright, but I did have an RXV-795 four or five years ago and I would describe it as on the bright side of neutral.

Interestingly, it seems like Denon has gone the other way, opening up their top end up a bit the last few years from models before that were warmer sounding than their Yamaha counterparts.

DJ

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

I've read of several tests that when using double-blind testing (DBT), ANY sound reproduction component that exhibits flat-frequency response is considered bright when compared to other components that don't have flat-frequency responses. This is especially true when listening at lower volume levels (that pesky Fletcher-Munson curve again).

It's easy to design an electronic circuit (power & preamps especially) that has a slightly drooping high-end response to give it a smoother character. And there are other ways of slightly "blurring" the signal to soften the resulting sound that don't show up on a frequency spectrum chart. There is nothing wrong or unethical with any of this--it's the same thing as a cook seasoning a certain food at a particular restaurant to make it fit that business' culinary philosophy.

I have absolutely no doubt in my mind my Pioneer reciever has a slightly warmer sound than my present Technics SA-DA8 receiver; same with my Pioneer CD player vs. my Technics CD player. The differences are subtle, but they are there (especially with the CD players). 1's and 0's may be the same, but ANALOG circuits can be a whole other animal!

I think this is why Yamaha uses that slogan "Natural Sound", because providing a flat response is the best way--as far as accuracy is concerned--to reproduce music. This is one reason why most professional studio monitors are considered as sounding bright--the engineer needs to hear as accurately as possible what is being put on that tape or hard drive, because colored sound won't help him adjust equalization or other parameters needed to produce whatever final sound he & the artist are trying to create.

LJ

11. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

It really boils down to what sound more appealing to each individual. I have just purchased my second Yamaha digital receiver and have always liked their sound. With this receiver I have also used Paradigm Monitor speakers. I like the details I hear from this combination.

12. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Or, perhaps, they have no 'sound' at all.

13. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

I don't find my RX-V496 to be bright either, but certinally detailed.

14. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Producer
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I own a Yamaha RX-V995 and seriously do not consider it to be a bright sounding at all. I would agree that it is detailed but not bright. And I am using Altec Voice Of The Theater A7 speakers with my yamaha. So if Yamaha was a bright sounding reciever I am sure that it would come threw with the speakers I am using [​IMG]

While my Yamaha has done a great job I am hoping to upgrade it to a Denon AVR-3805 or a prepro. All depends on whats available in the bank especially after I get a projector.

15. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

LanceJ- Makes sense! I need to remember that little tidbit.

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Lance, I'm curious as to what you meant by this statement?
    Are we talking a straight playback or 'enhanced'?

17. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Chu: Straight. A little out-of-phasiness here, a dab of a specific harmonic distortion there, can do the trick. These aren't really high-tech secrets--just skim through a few books on solid-state amp design, especially one written by an objectivist engineer. Pay particular attention to the parts where he describes problems with certain types of gain stages.......

LJ