Why are TV shows DVD are more likely to be poor quality?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by DustinLC, Aug 13, 2003.

1. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

I'm talking about shows that look better on tv than on DVD.

Just bought Xena season I and have no plan at to buy anymore Xena season set. I've been watching it on Oxygen on my Direct TV and I thought it was really bad. So bad that I waited until the release of the DVDs. Turns out the DVDs don't even look as good as on Oxygen. Sure it was blurred on Oxygen but that's better than noticeable pixals and all sort of artifacts.

My other season set is Sex in the City season 1. That's also another one where the broadcast is better than the DVDs.

I know there are plenty of exceptions and I just happen to pick the bad ones, but I don't think I'm going to be waiting anymore.

I'm currently making my own Sienfeld and Married With Children DVDs on my DVD recorder. Initially, I was going to wait.

2. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

I have yet to find a TV show on DVD that looks worse than what I see on TV. I've seen the Xena episodes on Oxygen and have borrowed a friend's copy of the Xena DVDs and I honestly can't see how you've formed your opinion.

Even the Little House On the Prairie DVDs (with transfers that leave much to be desired) look better than than they did when I watched them on TBS years ago.

I think you're just looking for perfection from these sets, which isn't entirely TOO much to ask. However, when you consider the volume of the material (anywhere from 10-20 hours for a TV season) compared that of a single film (1.5-2 hours), you're going to notice a lot more flaws due to the sheer time and cost involved in the remastering.

P.S. - Bootlegging Seinfeld and Married...? [​IMG]

3. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Dane...recording broadcast TV is not bootlegging.

4. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Well, technically, no. But when the same shows are out on DVD, they'll be just as worthless as a bootleg.

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

What you need to remember is that most of the shows we're talking about were shot on 16mm, with almost no money, bad lighting etc. Then mastered on analog videotape over a decade ago. What you're probably seeing on Xena, if it's anything like Highlander, is film grain.

6. DustinLC

7. DustinLC

8. Joey Gunz

Joey Gunz Second Unit

I own the following TV shows on DVD: "Buffy the Vampire Slayer", "Angel", "Star Trek Deep Space Nine" and "Futurama". And personally, I think they all look much, much better on DVD than they ever did on TV. The quality of the "Futurama" discs are positively amazing. I can't comment on the "Xena" DVDs though because I haven't seen 'em.

9. DustinLC

Like I said, I only own two tv shows and the original TV broadcast was "better" in quality so I'm sure these are more exceptions than the rules, but I guess I don't understand how the broadcast could be better than the DVD. As Jeff has made me realize, perhaps the term "better" is relative when it comes to what you eyes perceive as pleasing.

For example, I would take a poor VHS tape anyday over a poor VCD with huge noticeable distracting pixels.

10. Will_B

Will_B Producer

11. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I recently purchased The Whole Bean box set on DVD and it's similar to what some have said.

The first few episodes were clearly shot with lower grade tube cameras for studio shots and OK portable cameras for outdoor shots. The latter episodes were shot with high quality 16mm film and also great quality Digibeta (probably)

The DVD doesn't show a bad image, but rather shows the warts of the original.

It's rare for a TV show to look perfect on DVD because of the many formats. It's usually shows that are shot and edited on 35mm that look best (like Star Trek: TOS) while the ones that were shot and edited on analog video look mediocre.

12. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter