What's new

Why are these thrillers not already on blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
silentpartner.jpg

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Yeah, never been crazy about either of these films' main U.S. key art. With that STRAIGHT TIME one-sheet, it really seems like WB was legitimately trying to make Hoffman and his film really disappear.

In the better, but still mediocre foreign STRAIGHT TIME poster (used for the DVD cover), the gun that was inserted, by way of pre-Photoshop trickery, into his coat is pretty laughable. Hoffman's Max Dembo isn't necessarily the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's far from stupid enough to walk around on a busy street in broad daylight with a pistol poking out of his jacket. :D
Richard--W said:

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
The China Syndrome has no music score at all, so I wouldn't expect to see it from Twilight Time. Every title I own from them has an isolated score track, which seems to be a specialty of theirs.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Rob W said:
The China Syndrome has no music score at all, so I wouldn't expect to see it from Twilight Time. Every title I own from them has an isolated score track, which seems to be a specialty of theirs.
Indeed the isolated score is part of their m.o., so that may be a deal breaker.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I think Wait Until Dark will be released from the WB archives...but at the rate they are doing them it might be several years :D

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
All great additions to this thread and all thrillers I'd love to see on blu-ray. Seems to be a genre that has been ignored a bit.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Well, so we know that Marathon Man will be available on blu-ray shortly...so at least there is that and when I die, on my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
Brandon Conway said:
Let's look at this. First, who has rights in the US for these titles:

Paramount (presumably now licensed to Warner)

Marathon Man
The Parallax View
Breakdown

Warner

Night Moves

StudioCanal (presumably licensed to Lionsgate)

The Day of the Dolphin

Sony (presumably eligible to be licensed to Criterion/Image/Mill Creek/Twilight Time)

The China Syndrome

MGM

The Long Goodbye

Universal

The Day of the Jackal

Now let's look at the situations...

Warner/Paramount - The "problem" with Warner is that their catalog is enormous, so for every 2-3 titles they release people can think of 20-30 that are not released. Who really knows how high on their priority lists these four titles are?

StudioCanal - SC has been spotty at best with bringing their titles to the US via their deal with Lionsgate. Considering the numerous more prestigious art house titles in their library yet to get released one would assume that The Day of the Dolphin probably isn't a priority.

Sony - They have been licensing out pretty much all their catalog titles. The China Syndrome seems like an obvious Twilight Time candidate to me.

MGM - They've been licensing more lately, namely to Shout Factory. The Long Goodbye has often been rumored to be licensed to Criterion, however. Only time will tell.

Universal - They've been releasing more, but they seem to be still getting through their "A-list" catalog titles. I don't see The Day of the Jackal as being part of that "A-List" group.
A Criterion blu-ray of The Long Goodbye would be wonderful.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Jon Hertzberg said:
Indeed the isolated score is part of their m.o., so that may be a deal breaker.
This is out from Europe, cheap, region-free, and looking better than ever before.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I concur with THE SILENT PARTNER. Chris Plummer is one scary dude in that, and Susannah York more gorgeous than ever. One of Gould's best parts, too. Great thriller!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Richard--W said:
The thriller I would like most to see on blu-ray, the most timely, relevant and dicey, is Costa-Gavras' STATE OF SEIGE, released in the USA in 1973 to unanimous acclaim.
attachicon.gif
StateOfSiege.jpg I would also add POINT BLANK (1967), KLUTE (1971) and THE YAKUZA (1975) to the list of excellent thrillers deserving a blu-ray release.
attachicon.gif
Conversation-1970-Paramount-one.jpg
attachicon.gif
HotRock-1972-Fox-one.jpg
attachicon.gif
CharleyVarrick-1973-Universal-one.jpg
attachicon.gif
SevenUps-1974-Fox-half.jpg
attachicon.gif
WalkingTall-1973-Paramount-one.jpg
attachicon.gif
BlackWindmill-1974-CIC-BritishOne.jpg
attachicon.gif
BlackSunday-1977-half.jpg
The hot rock is a great one! I'd love a blu Ray of it. Watched it again last night!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks