What's new

Why are these thrillers not already on blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
ed76bc37_marathon-man-poster.jpeg
I can't be the only one that brings a power drill when they go to the bar, grabs some random customer and just for fun jerks them back in their seat, pulls open their mouth and fires up the drill close to their ear a couple times, and then asks with a German accent "Is it safe?" I mean I know that can't just be me doing that...
38aa9637_PARALLAXVIEW.jpeg
So, I think I should just make clear that "parallax" means the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions...I've always felt people were intimidated by this movie because of that word...there now you can enjoy it.
54926f25_the-china-syndrome.jpeg
No, it's not about the fact that after you eat Chinese food you feel hungry again an hour later.
aa43278e_NightMoves.jpeg
Bob Seger had nothing to do with this film.
75cb4bca_Dayofthedolphin.jpeg
Starkist offered a lot of money to sponsor this film if they would change the title to Day of the Tuna and feature a trained tuna named Charlie. George C. Scott threatened to walk off the film as he said he had no intention of being a corporate spokesman selling tuna to the masses. On Mike Nichols first day on the set he found Scott had painted "Sorry, Charlie!" in big red letters on his trailer.
9fc48c1a_LongGoodbye.jpeg
Yes, Schwarzenegger takes off his clothes in this film and no, he was not asked to do so. In fact he was not even supposed to be in the film but nobody had the guts to ask him to leave. It was Schwarzenegger walking around nude on the set and bothering the other actors that caused Elliott Gould to coin the phrase "It's alright with me." which Altman then asked him to use in the film.

Rob Mac

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rob
That's the dilemma I could never understand. Shows like Friends, Seinfeld, Big Bang Theory, Simpsons etc. are on television 10 times every day to watch for free, and yet these are the discs people buy and demand, leaving classic films to languish in the vaults. Such is life.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Since those "free" versions of those shows are edited for syndication, I fully understand why fans buy the discs.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
The Day of the Jackal is another one. I think the 70s was a great decade for thrillers and they are so poorly represented on blu-ray it is sort of ridiculous. Obviously films like these remain a huge influence today and the recent selection of Argo as best picture shows they certainly have an audience. Winter Kills is another one that really should be on blu-ray.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
I would think that somebody...be it Twilight Time or Olive or Criterion...somebody would grab these to release on blu-ray.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Noach Kowalski said:
Great list. I'd like to add one more
3ae6f229_day_of_the_jackal_ver1.jpeg
Fortunately, the DVD is really good. Otherwise the waiting would be unbearable.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Let's look at this. First, who has rights in the US for these titles:

Paramount (presumably now licensed to Warner)

Marathon Man
The Parallax View
Breakdown

Warner

Night Moves

StudioCanal (presumably licensed to Lionsgate)

The Day of the Dolphin

Sony (presumably eligible to be licensed to Criterion/Image/Mill Creek/Twilight Time)

The China Syndrome

MGM

The Long Goodbye

Universal

The Day of the Jackal

Now let's look at the situations...

Warner/Paramount - The "problem" with Warner is that their catalog is enormous, so for every 2-3 titles they release people can think of 20-30 that are not released. Who really knows how high on their priority lists these four titles are?

StudioCanal - SC has been spotty at best with bringing their titles to the US via their deal with Lionsgate. Considering the numerous more prestigious art house titles in their library yet to get released one would assume that The Day of the Dolphin probably isn't a priority.

Sony - They have been licensing out pretty much all their catalog titles. The China Syndrome seems like an obvious Twilight Time candidate to me.

MGM - They've been licensing more lately, namely to Shout Factory. The Long Goodbye has often been rumored to be licensed to Criterion, however. Only time will tell.

Universal - They've been releasing more, but they seem to be still getting through their "A-list" catalog titles. I don't see The Day of the Jackal as being part of that "A-List" group.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Yes, it's Beatty, all divvied up.

Brandon hit the nail on the head. Studio disinterest is a culprit. But an all-regions MARATHON MAN will be available from Amazon France on April 24.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I should also mention that these thrillers need a BLU release also.

Klute - WB
Wait Until Dark - WB

I would also love a blu for The Long Goodbye and I have to mention it because it is a great film to watch as a double feature, The Late Show (Produced by by Robert Altman - Directed by Robert Benton)

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
YearOfTheDragon-1985-MGM-one.jpg

Attachments

• BlackSunday-1977-half.jpg
    BlackSunday-1977-half.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 246
  • BlackWindmill-1974-CIC-BritishOne.jpg
    BlackWindmill-1974-CIC-BritishOne.jpg
    278.8 KB · Views: 517
  • CharleyVarrick-1973-Universal-one.jpg
    CharleyVarrick-1973-Universal-one.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 298
  • Conversation-1970-Paramount-one.jpg
    Conversation-1970-Paramount-one.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 292
  • HotRock-1972-Fox-one.jpg
    HotRock-1972-Fox-one.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 249
  • SevenUps-1974-Fox-half.jpg
    SevenUps-1974-Fox-half.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 449
  • WalkingTall-1973-Paramount-one.jpg
    WalkingTall-1973-Paramount-one.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 430
  • StateOfSiege.jpg
    StateOfSiege.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 243

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
All impeccable additions, as I expect from Richard--W.

I'd buy just about everything mentioned in this thread so far.

And, add these, all part of what I like to call "sunshine noir":

cutter_and_bone_HP00117_L.jpg
mikes_murder_DA00135_L.jpg

american_gigolo_NZ02841_L.jpg

Richard--W said:
The thriller I would like most to see on blu-ray, the most timely, relevant and dicey, is Costa-Gavras' STATE OF SEIGE, released in the USA in 1973 to unanimous acclaim.

attachicon.gif
StateOfSiege.jpg

I would also add POINT BLANK (1967), KLUTE (1971) and THE YAKUZA (1975) to the list of excellent thrillers deserving a blu-ray release.

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif
HotRock-1972-Fox-one.jpg

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
All of the WALKING TALL films are already available via Shout Factory!.
Richard--W said:
The thriller I would like most to see on blu-ray, the most timely, relevant and dicey, is Costa-Gavras' STATE OF SEIGE, released in the USA in 1973 to unanimous acclaim.

attachicon.gif
StateOfSiege.jpg

I would also add POINT BLANK (1967), KLUTE (1971) and THE YAKUZA (1975) to the list of excellent thrillers deserving a blu-ray release.

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif
HotRock-1972-Fox-one.jpg

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks