WHY are these MIA? Neil Young, Van Morrison

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
after all these years these 2 classic Warner/Reprise titles are still using the same 1985+ - LP masters.

They need remastering, now:

Neil Young/Everybody knows this is nowhere
Van Morrison: Astral Weeks

anyone have the inside news about these?
All the rest of Morrisons CDs have been remastered except the 2 WB titles;
And Ive read that Young is a techno/audio buff, yet here we are with the same 20 year old 'lo-fi' CDs of that title and several others.

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
this is a big surprise! I remember getting the CD ages ago and being shocked at how shit it sounded. I was hoping that his catalog would get a remastered upgrade whenever "Archives" comes out, but it looks like "Archives" is pretty much shelved based on the "Live At The Filmore East".

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds

Which other WB title hasn't been remastered? I've never seen a new master of His Band And The Street Choir, nor have I seen one for Moondance. Are there newer masters for either of those two?

(That said, His Band And The Street Choir is exceptionally faithful to my original vinyl issue of it, for better or for worse.)

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I forget the other titles name, but it has what appears to be Vietnamese farmers in a rice field looking up at US B-52's(?);
Apparently these are the only 2 discs Warners kept-the rest went to Ploygram Universal, id im not mistaken

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I've never seen it -- as far as I know, there are four that are still the original Warner CD versions -- Astral Weeks, Moondance, His Band And The Street Choir and Hard Nose The Highway. Are those the first four non-Bang solo albums?

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I have to ask: Why is a remaster of Moondance necessary? The existing CD is a very fine example of clean, natural recording. The only flaw is, IMO, a rather unnatural sound to the vocals, but that can probably be attributed to mic technology in the late 60s/early 70s. The acoustic guitars sound great, bass guitar is punchy, and the percussion has a wonderful snap with a very natural sound...

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I don't think there is a need for it, no. And as I noted, His Band and the Street Choir is very faithful to the vinyl.

I was just trying to answer the question of which Van albums had been reissued with new masters. Of all of the albums I bought and then re-bought, I'd say that the biggest improvement was ...It's Too Late To Stop Now...

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

Oh, I see. I guess my reading comprehension has gone out the window while I'm trying to work at the same time

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
getting back here a little late, but Polygram (UM) bought some of the earlier Van Morrison WB titles, Warners keeping just 3, and have remastered the whole catalog, incuding restoring the covers.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els