What's new

Why are there so few female members of the HTF? (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
It suddenly occured to me while I was browsing. I very, very rarely see a post from a female member. Why is this? Is there an official count of Male vs. Female members?

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Any answer will net you a stereotype. It's up to you to determine the reason.
The best response will be from female members as to how their female friends regard this hobby. Most of the male communities spouses roll their eyes, especially at the cost.

Julie K

Screenwriter
Maybe you aren't hanging out in the right threads. I do most of my posting anymore in the neverending "Horror/Gore" thread in software.
Well, maybe that's not typical of the average HTF female member...
biggrin.gif

------------------
My DVDs
"Well, that's it then. You must have tripped over the cat."
"Where did it come from? There's nothing up there but ceiling. I love how these animals just fall straight into your hands. I mean, what do they do? Hang upside-down by their claws and wait for people to pass by?"

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Yeah, Julie is one of the ones helping making 23 or so pages of the horror thread. The only problem is she keeps adding movies to my must see list.
biggrin.gif

------------------
photo11.jpg

Adrian Jones

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
quote: Don't you mean Matt Chmiel? :wink:[/quote]
Don't make fun of a guy in a cast, bitch.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."
[Edited last by Matthew Chmiel on October 07, 2001 at 04:33 PM]

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Whether it's perceived as stereotypical or not, the plain fact is that Home Theater (and hi fi Audio) IS heavily dominated by males. People like Julie are the exception.
------------------

PatrickM

Screenwriter
I think it just happens to be one of those things that males like more than females in general. The last time I went to a hometheater demo event at a big HT store there were fewer than 15 women in a place filled with over 130 people. Most were with their significant others and rarely asked questions.
Patrick
------------------
My DVD Collection
Patrick The 69th most popular name for boys according to the Social Security Administration.

Eric Scott

Second Unit
two words: "Steve Christou"
Marianne, I must take issue with that statement. First there is nothing to the rumor that that Steve Christou has filed suit against Mike Myers and Michael McCullers the writers of Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me for using the real life person of Steve Christou as the character Mini Me.
As you know it’s not size that matters, Steve possesses many qualities and skills that the average man could never achieve.
That’s all I have to say for now because Steve is quite capable of defending himself even against 51/2 ft. women!
crazy.gif

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Marianne, preciousss baby, you accidently typed my name in your post, can you like edit it, and change it to Scott, first name Eric, pleeeese, his posts are now officially scarier than mine, I know of three female members that have left the HTF in a hurry after deciphering one of his posts.
crazy.gif

In a bid to attract more female members on the HTF I will post a sig photo of myself, although the forum may close down after a closer look at the photo, it may be worth the risk.
wink.gif

SIGNATURE PHOTO OF SEXIST BASTARD REMOVED AFTER CLOSER EXAMINATION.
[Edited last by Steve Christou on October 08, 2001 at 06:48 AM]

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Eric, there are no truths to the rumor that I'm a 3ft tall sex-crazed leprechaun, I'm 6ft 10inches of hairy machismo, but its not the 6ft that matters, its the 10inches.... :)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I've learned from one of my computer science classes that in electronic forums, females feel intimidated to post because of male dominance. Furthermore, posts that degrade females (I know all of them mean no harm) discourages them from posting or visiting the forum. That is probably why there are so few female posts in the After Hours area where pretty much any topic can be discussed. Also, women might not feel that their posts dealing with women issues would be accepted here with so many men.
Or like Marianne said, it could be Steve Christou. :)
~T

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I remember a T-Shirt thread not too long ago [which I had nothing to do with your honour!] which had sexist overtones, but female members were playing along with it, even posting links to photos of themselves, so I don't think the female members are wimping out of joining because of sexist posts, there are quite a few female members on the HTF, they just post in threads that interest them.
My preciousss Marianne is never shy in posting what she wants to say, and I'm usually the target of her jibes, I don't mind what she says and she knows it, its all a lark really. :)

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Eric, thanks for really trying to help my case, appreciate it.
biggrin.gif

I'll just go and hide under a rock until this blows over.
ps.I'm starting a new thread "Why are there so many male members on the HTF?", no how about "Why is everyone picking on Steve?".
[Edited last by Steve Christou on October 07, 2001 at 07:33 PM]

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
quote: Don't make fun of a guy in a cast, bitch[/quote]
Matthew, what happened?
~T
[Edited last by Thi Them on October 07, 2001 at 09:30 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks