1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Why are studios biased in favor of African American shows from the 70s?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Carlos Garcia, Nov 10, 2006.

1. StacyV

StacyV Second Unit

I kinda get what you're saying but it doesn't always hold true. I'm African-American, and on another message board I regularly post, everyone who knows me know I'm dying(!) for One Day At A Time to be released. That's my #1 most wanted series. In terms of older sitcoms, I own all released seasons of All In The Family, Soap, Three's Company, I Love Lucy, The Brady Bunch and others alongside Good Times, What's Happening, etc. I may not represent the majority of Black dvd buyers, but I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in more than just "black" shows.

2. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina

Oh, I am with you there, Stacy. For like you, I am also African-American as well--and my TV-DVD taste varies as well.

My most recent TV-DVD pickup: Season Three of The L-Word.

Next TV-DVD pickup: the Sophomore Season of...That Girl!!!!

I am ready for some more Ann Marie!!!!! [​IMG]

3. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Hey, Tina since you brought up "That Girl" with Marlo Thomas, what did you think of the late Danitra Vance playing a parody of that "That Black Girl" during her only season on Saturday Night Live (1985 to 1986)? [​IMG]

4. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

I would love to see Julia come out but again it's Fox so there's no chance. It took them almost 20 years just to put the show in syndication.

BTW, Beulah was a filmed show but the prints seem to be MIA. Only a very few are known to be in existence.

5. WillLon

WillLon Agent

Wil
    As a recent trend, the main reason might be the big sales of Dave Chappelle's TV series DVDs from Viacom/Paramount.

Other studios then try to capitalize on that as a sign of what consumers want [not this one, though].
    ---

6. Ollie

Ollie Stunt Coordinator

I'm another African-American weighing in here to debunk the notion that the African-American audience is interested only, or primarily in only "black shows". I have an extensive TV on DVD collection, and while I do own seasons of the Jeffersons, Cosby Show, Sanford & Son and Good Times. (I've passed on What's Happenin' and That's My Moma.)

The bulk of my TV-DVD shelf is filled with a VARIED collection of classic sitcoms and the more recent serialized Dramas.

Among my collection are, Jeannie, Bewitched, Dick Van Dyke, Brady Bunch, Partridge Family, Andy Griffith, That Girl, Doris Day Show, I Love Lucy, Gidget, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, and on the modern drama front - Alias, 24, Grey's Anatomy, Femme Nikita, and Numb3rs.

I also don't know of any of my African American friends who are partial to "black shows" only. We all enjoy a broad spectrum of shows which may include, but are by no means not limited to, those with a predominantly black cast.

7. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I don't believe that has anything to do with it. Take it from this white guy....

Dave Chappelle had one of the funniest sketch comedy series ever produced, and that's why it sold so well on disc. The same could be argued for the much older sitcoms from the 70s, which really have no connection other than racial humor being a constant. What Chappelle did was turn racism on its head, in a way not unlike what the late, great Richard Pryor had done in many venues in the 1970s and 80s.

8. Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V Supporting Actor

Tina

I honestly thought it was outlandish!!!!!! Great satire!!!!! [​IMG] Thanks for asking!!!!!! [​IMG]

9. Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck Screenwriter

Well, I've always believed that teen lust for Valerie Bertinelli knew no racial boundaries. [​IMG]

10. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Cinematographer

Pete
    Speaking of One Day at a Time... there may be a chance it is on the way. I just finished watching The Ellen Show: The Complete Series and on that set there is a trailer called Ladies Night (TV)... It was a montage of several 70's - 80's TV Series centered around women. During that trailer they showed several short clips plus 1 long clip of One Day at a Time. The Ellen Show was released just 4 months ago (7/11/06). So what do you think? is it a sign of what is to come?

11. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I'm not counting on it, the same "Ladies Night" promo with ODAAT, Maude and Mary Hartman was also on the Facts Of Life s1/s2 set that came out in May, but yet it was missing from the s3 set that came out a few weeks ago.

I really do wish One Day At A Time and Maude (I'll be checking it out blindly, but I love Bea on The Golden Girls) would come out already

12. Pete Battista

Pete Battista Cinematographer

Pete
    Yeah I kinda figured... I am not counting on it... just thought it was a glimmer of hope is all. [​IMG]

13. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

I don't see what the holdup is, can music rights be that big an issue with those series? I was hoping with the success of Facts Of Life, that Sony would probably figure that ODAAT could appeal to a similar audience, and you'd think they would've rushed to get Maude out for the 1. AITF spinoff, 2. Good Times parent series, 3. Bea Arthur's enduring popularity as Dorothy on The Golden Girls... I have never seen Maude before and I don't care much for AITF or Good Times, but I'd still get it for Bea Arthur.

14. Michael Alden

Sony's releasing is quite confounding. Complete Good Times but no Maude and slow All in the Family. First season of Police Woman but no Police Story. SWAT but not The Rookies. The sequel series to All in the Family, Archie Bunker's Place but not the sequel series to Sanford and Son (Sanford). It goes on and on and there really doesn't seem to be any logic to what they do.

15. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

If you want to see One Day at a Time again so badly, just wait for Lifetime to get a hold of it to air on weekday mornings. They showed Laverne & Shirley, so anything is possible.

16. Michael Alden

The reason most if not all of the people are on this forum is that they want to see the shows in their original form, not butchered for syndication with 20% of the content missing.

17. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

in a way, I understand why maybe Sony has their reservations about ODAAT, it's been out of syndication for about a decade now and while it was a long-running hit, maybe they figure that a lot of people have forgotten it. But Maude could be a very successful seller if Sony put some faith into it. I know a lot of people who've never seen Maude (because of very little syndication) but love Bea from The Golden Girls who would check it out, plus there are both AITF and Good Times fans who'd buy it for obvious reasons, so what's the holdup? Bea and Adrienne Barbeau have already recorded extras for a season 1 set, so why isn't it out?

18. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

Maude really needs to get into syndication somewhere. A lot of people buying these TV shows on DVD never saw first run. The Jeffersons, Whats Happening, Sanford & Son, and Good Times had great syndication and that is why they made it to TV. Just look at Mad About You, after four years between release, now that they are on Oxygen and NICK, season three is finally being given a chance.

Paul

19. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    I'm not much for "sitcoms" of any era and, besides Seinfeld and the short-lived Action! (and maybe, eventually, The Office), I don't really have much intention of collecting any, but I couldn't let this slide by without comment

Jay_B! wrote (post #10):

Correction: Lucy NEVER took orders from Ricky. The whole point of I Love Lucy was that Lucy represented the "average American housewife" in the post-WW II / McCarthy "anti-communist" era, when many of the same women (or their daughters of the same class) were expected to "go back to the kitchen and stay there", after their or their old sister's or mother's generation had been pulled out of servile domesticity to work in factories, build arms, and produce assorted other military paraphenalia in order to fill in for the domestic shortage of male workers during the war. Many of them also headed their own households in the absence of those males.

Seen in that sociological context, Lucy represents that portion of the "middle-class homemaker" population that refuses to go back to the "good ol' days". They want careers. They want freedom to go when and where they please. They don't want to be house-bound and have children and "homemaking" as their sole interests or activities in life. That's why, whatever Ricky tells Lucy she must do, she finds a way, however underhandedly, to get around his dictates.

The show was totally about "woman's rebellion" (although handled in a comfy, comic way so as not to offend middle-class sensibilities in an era of mandated public conformity (what I call the "mother-may-I?"-era)).