What's new

Why are STB's SO Expensive? (1 Viewer)

James Edward

Supporting Actor
What do they have that makes them so expensive? Do they require rare-earth metals, or some other part that is hard to come by? It seems to me that they don't have a more difficult job than a typical HT receiver, or DVD player for that matter.
Maybe it's just because so few are sold, they have recoup their costs somehow... On the other hand, if they were a little less expensive, I'd have one already. I saw another post showing that Samsung will have an OTA only STB available for 399 in June. That still sounds high. If I were to get a dish, or cable passed signal, I'd have to buy another one.
Does anyone know why they are priced so high?
:angry: :angry:

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Prices are coming down..2 years ago you could not get one for under 1000...Samsung will have one for under 399 this June..Another year they will be in the 100 to 200 range

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
What's the scoop on this new Samsung model coming out soon? I was considering buying the SIR-T150 for $599, but now I can wait a little longer to get one at half that price!

Roy H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi James, you are right they are VERY expensive STILL! Even at $400 it is insane. Now imagine buying a 27 inch HDTV for $900

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Any new technology you pay for the research and development at the beginning...When VCR first came out they were 1000 dollars..When the first color sets came out in the early 60's they were over 600 dollars..in todays dollars that is much higher the a 5000 HD tv of a few years ago..At any rate the picture quality of HD is far superior and worth every cent from what you can get from an analog set..Analog is outdated technology...

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I don't mind waiting and not having to deal with the rebate. I hate waitng for rebates. Will the new unit be any better/worse/different from the SIR-T150?

Mike I

Supporting Actor
The 399 price on the new unit coming out in June is also the MSRP price..I sure it will be able to be found for less..

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
Mike I (or anyone else)

do you have any info or a link for that $399 box? i couldn't find anything at Samsung's website.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks