What's new

Why are some TV series DVDs so expensive? (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
As a proud owner of the entire Twilight Zone dvd collection, I can safely say that I have no regrets about my investment whatsoever. It's my favorite series of all time, so buying every last volume was a total no-brainer. I paid between $15 and $20 for each disc, which I find perfectly reasonable... especially since many of the volumes have cool easter eggs like isolated music tracks and vintage commercials. I suppose season sets would have been nice... but frankly, having an entire shelf devoted to TZ is pretty damned cool.
Bottom line: it's about love. I wouldn't buy the Trek discs because I'm not that big a fan. But TZ ? Hell, yeah. And when MGM releases the original Outer Limits (my second favorite TV show of all time), I'll buy every last episode without hesitating... even if they're released individually and priced too high. :D

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
As a proud owner of the entire Twilight Zone dvd collection, I can safely say that I have no regrets about my investment whatsoever. It's my favorite series of all time, so buying every last volume was a total no-brainer. I paid between $15 and $20 for each disc, which I find perfectly reasonable.
Whole heartedly agreed...From one complete Collection owner to another..My friends think I'm a bit loopy for being such a TZ fan (been one since I was 11). They just dont understand it being that I didnt grow up during the 50s/60s (Im 22)

Unfortunately ALL 156 episodes are not represented in the 43 volume set. Though the remaining ones I believe can be purchased the the Treasures of the Twilight Zone dvd

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Damien:
Actually, I consider the Twilight Zone dvd collection to be 46 volumes altogether: The 43 numbered discs, plus both "Treasures" discs and the American Masters Rod Serling biography. And yes, I've got 'em all. ;)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
>>Patience is needed here as far as TOS goes. I'm sure boxed sets will happen down the road. Look at Paramount re-releasing the movies with special editions.

I can wait.

>>

That REALLY pissed me off, but I guess I should be paying the price anyway. I figured at the time that Paramount would be too cheap to re-release special editions, so I just picked 'em up anyway. Then, I find out we are going to get SE's soon, although it looks like we may get one per year.

I've specifically avoided buying TOS. Not mostly because I don't really care for it, compared to the movies, but just knowing that Paramount will release a better version down the line trying to screw fans. We BETTER get some decent extras for the TNG box sets. 4 episodes per disc? I'm going to skip it untill they do, considering the price they'll charge for the things....

As far as other TV shows on DVD....

Am I the only one who thinks that $24's is way to much for those DBZ DVD's? They have no extras except Japanese audio tracks(Advertisements for their own products are NOT extras), and the VHS of the same tape is $20's, Minus the Japanese Audio. If the DVD's are going to be $24, at least cut down the price of ALL the VHS to $10's or something..

Damien Montanile

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I consider the Twilight Zone dvd collection to be 46 volumes altogether: The 43 numbered discs, plus both "Treasures" discs and the American Masters Rod Serling biography. And yes, I've got 'em all.
To tell you the truth I see no interest in picking up the more treasures of the twilight Zone...There really is no purpose to its being since the episodes have been released in the volume set.

One of the reasons I didnt pick up Treasures was because I wasnt sure if they released an occurance on owl creek bridge in the volume...Since it wasnt I'll pick it up when I get around to it....

If customizing your collection to include 46 discs in a "complete" floats your boat...then by all means.

-D

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
I must be cheaper than everyone else. I'd love to buy "Friends" episodes, but I've got to be able to buy a full season for around $20 before I'll bite. And, I've got to be able to buy any season I want. I'd start collecting them one by one if this were the case...

I'm thinking maybe every season would have a slightly different image on the spine, but if you lined all of the seasons up in order, you'd get the full picture & "Friends" logo. Would be nice, and at ~$20 a pop, they'd sell a lot more. It's not like they're making much off those old episodes now...

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
I think it's safe to say that you'll never see an entire season of Friends for $20 - a season is 24 episodes, and would require at least 3 or 4 DVDs in a keepcase. $50 is probably about the lowest the retail price of something like that would cost.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Actually, they're making a ton off of old Friends episodes, most cities have it on twice a night PLUS the TBS airings.

Am I the only one who thinks that $24's is way to much for those DBZ DVD's? They have no extras except Japanese audio tracks(Advertisements for their own products are NOT extras), and the VHS of the same tape is $20's, Minus the Japanese Audio. If the DVD's are going to be $24, at least cut down the price of ALL the VHS to $10's or something..
Japanese productions, especially old stuff like DBZ is notorious for not having anything much that could be used for extras. Japanese audio is not an extra, it's a requirement. You'll find most anime products have little or no extras on them, and I don't count "watch the dub cast attempt to act" as an extra. DBZ was an expensive series to license, and Funimation is a small company

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
The subsequent Simpsons and Buffy box sets wont be as cheap as the first ones because there will be more episodes (24 rather than 13). I fully expect to pay $75-100 for a full season of The Simpsons, Buffy, or Friends.

Hell, I just paid $150 for The Prisoner which is 17 episodes, 1 alternate version, 1 interview, and a lame documentary. I paid almost that much for the complete Emma Peel Avengers episodes (I managed to get them on Ebay for less). A&E really charges up the butt for TV shows and hardly puts any episodes on the discs (some discs only have one episode, and A&E commited a cardinal sin by having the two-part Prisoner finale on two seperate discs).

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
a season is 24 episodes, and would require at least 3 or 4 DVDs in a keepcase.
24 episodes @ ~20 minutes a pop is 8 hours. They could stick it on two flippers. $20 does seem cheap, though; I didn't know there were that many episodes in a season. I'd pay ~$35-$40 for that much material.

It will still never happen, not even at the $50 level. Not when they can sell "10 fan favorites" for $35...

Eric Thrall

Stunt Coordinator
If you have a dual sided, dual layered DVD with low bitrate, you might actually sneak all 24 onto one DVD. My point was that, with a reasonable bitrate, menus, and a few extras that you'd expect to see on a set like that, it would be at least 3 or 4 DVDs. Personally, I'd guess 5 DVDs for a set like that - 5 eps. per disc, with the 5th disc only having four episodes but having the extra features.

24 episodes is kind of a standard length of a season, but I don't know if every season of friends had that many episodes or not - I'm just assuming that.

It could happen - when the sales of the "best of" ones slow down, they'll realize that many of the people who bought them would be willing to rebuy the entire season to get a complete set and the extras, and the people who like the show but refuse to buy "best of" discs (I fall into this category) would also snap them up. I'll bet they cave in within the next year or two and put them out as complete seasons. I have to agree with Larry though - I'd guess $75-$100 for a season's worth - my $50 statement was my guess for the lowest possible price you'd see.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
Hell, I just paid $150 for The Prisoner which is 17 episodes, 1 alternate version, 1 interview, and a lame documentary.
Wow! That is a lot. I paid only :rolleyes:$95 for the set. Despite their high SRP, Deep Discount had them for $19 a set. However, what really ticks me off about A&E is the mega sets available afterwards. I think for the Prisoner it was only $75 from Deep Discount.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Count me as one more person who bought exactly one (1) Star Trek disk, but would have bought all three seasons if they were available in box form. And my problem is not just price but space as well -- I don't have the space for all those individual disks. In box form, I would hope they put at least 4 episodes per disk and put them in space saving cases.

If Paramount wishes to make a little money, they'd better get those boxes in production pronto.

Ted

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
Well, First off. It's TREKKIE, not Trecky.

Secondly, $15 is paying to much. I think I averaged $11.99 per disc.

And if you bought them as they came out, it wasn't so bad buying 2 every other month or so for the last two years.

Though I'm much looking forward to the less expensive TNG box sets. Those didn't need to be restored near as much as the TOS so they have no reason to charge $200 or so a season (assuming 20 episodes per season, don't know the real number)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks