Why are some TV series DVDs so expensive?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave H, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Some TV series DVDs are prices very reasonably: M.A.S.H., for example. Twenty-four episodes can be purchased for under $30.00. The Simpsons' first season is priced similarly, as well.

But, look at how expensive the Star Trek episodes are - basically $15.00 for two episodes. Even the Twilight Zone's are priced on the high side - typically three episodes for $13.00 or so. I would love to buy the entire collection of these two series but refuse to pay what they are asking for them.

I wonder if they would make more money by selling at a lower price since they would sell so much more volume - creating a bigger profit in the end. On the other hand, maybe they think the only people who have interest in these are the "fans" and that they will pay almost any price.

2. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

It's all about what the market will bear. Also remember some shows while having the same number of episodes are only 1/2 hour instead of 1 hour. Star Trek will always bring a premium over many other shows just because it's Star Trek.

I would also love to get the entire Star Trek set, but it's pricing has relegated it from must get now to maybe get sometime for me. If I could get into it for around $5 an episode I'd be there. However Paramount must be happy with sales for TOS, because they've said they have no plans currently to reprice or boxset the TOS discs.

3. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Price depends on soooo many factors. Here are a few:

1. Restoration needed

2. Royalties to other companies

3. Mastering, packaging costs

4. Length of material

We try and draw comparisons between sets and prices, but it's really an unfair thing to do because of all these factors.

Gord

4. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    The way I see it is that Star Trek and Twilight Zone are not expensive, But Simpsons, Mash, Buffy, & X-Files are cheap.

I mean while they be TV shows, You are still getting over an hour and a half of entertainment for about $15 when you buy a Star Trek or Twilight Zone dvd. Personally I feel that two episodes of vintage Star Trek are worth more than some crap like 'Freddie Got Fingered' or 'Fast and the Furious'

That said, I would prefer Box Sets

5. Jeff Leeds

Jeff Leeds Stunt Coordinator

I agree, I think that boxed sets would be the only way to go. I wanted to pick up a twilight zone and some avengers but no way will I pay that for a TV show. They need to get the prices to about 6.99 for TV shows, that is what they are worth. I'm not a trecky so I could care less about the price of those disks....but 6.99 is what TV DVDs should cost and I'm not buying any of them until they hit that price point.

6. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Patience is needed here as far as TOS goes. I'm sure boxed sets will happen down the road. Look at Paramount re-releasing the movies with special editions.

I can wait.

7. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Martin has said that TOS will NOT be rereleased so you'll be waiting forever.

The problem with TV shows is that they usually aren't a single release. I know that if I pick up one of the sets I'm making the decision to buy them all, because that's how I am. You can find the odd release that contains an entire series in one box (Clerks, Kindred: The Embraced....).

Gord

8. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

My x-men cartoon discs were pretty expensive. They were olike $30.00 a disc and only have 5 episodes on them, but since there won't be anymore (thanks to that stupid contract), I had to get them. [​IMG]

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

10. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

11. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

12. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

To chip in my own two cents worth, I find that the TOS discs are a little over priced as well, compared to other TV series out on DVD. I also found the Monty Python Series to be a bit pricey, but have finally resolved to go and get the box set. Also, now that the entire series of TOS is out, I find myself going and getting one or two a week to fill out my collection. Strange thing is, I like the X- Files as well, but don't own any of those season box sets. I found them "too expensive", especially with all the movies I keep finding I want.

I think that in the long run, Paramount was just trying to cash in on it's biggest cash crop it has going. They know, based on historical fact that people like me WILL pay for the series, no matter what. Heck, look at ST:TFF. They only thing they learned form that, is don't let WIlliam write and direct. We still saw the movie (the only film I only saw once in the theature). Sorry, a litte off topic there. I just think that this series is a crown jewel that, to fans is priceless, and they can get what they ask for it.

13. Frank Anderson

Frank Anderson Cinematographer

14. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

Now, I am not cheap by any means, but $14 for 3 episodes seems a bit much for a TV show.... Also, why don't CLASSIC shows like this have a box set? What are the studios waiting for, good grief...

Secondly, when the heck are we gonna see some honeymooner episodes.

15. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

This very topic is being discussed in the Why are some TV series DVDs so expensive? thread. Good answers over there.
    If it helps, Best Buy discounts them to $12.99.
    Edit: NOTE that Todd's note above mine was from a separate thread about Twilight Zone discs being expensive (that statement was in the subject). It appears that a mod merged that thread into this thread, after I mentioned the similarity in my note here.

16. Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher Screenwriter

Joseph E Fisher
    Todd,
    I admit they could have squeezed 5-6 episodes per disc. And they could have also put them in order buy season. Also $14.99 list price for 3-4 episodes is not bad. If I remember they started out at $24.99 MSRP.
    Also if you want to save a few bucks, check www.dvdplanet.com they have the Twilight Zone DVD's for sale at $11.24 each. Just ordered 7 more volumes for my collection. I also got 3 volumes at my local Best Buy for $12.99 each.
    Peace,
    Joe

17. Damien Montanile

Damien Montanile Stunt Coordinator

18. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

19. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino
    I agree, shows with a continuing story arc have to be treated differently - but there is still the question of marketing VHS vs. DVD and (in this case) marketing in the U.S. vs. the U.K.

TV shows of all kinds have historically done better on home video (which once meant only VHS or LD) in the U.K. than in the U.S. The exceptions in the U.S. were precisely things like Star Trek and The Twilight Zone. Paramount could be pretty sure that anything they slapped a Trek logo on was going to sell. Even though they didn't have continuing story lines (TZ didn't even have continuing characters) they had loyal fanbases that would want to watch every episode over and over again, and for whom uncut versions were important.

This simply wasn't the case for fans of most shows - especially those that are still available in daily reruns in most of the country. I think this is the main reason for the difference between the U.K. and the U.S. Until fairly recently viewers in the U.S. had more different stations available to them and therefore more markets that could carry reruns of shows. In the U.K. a series might not be seen for years after it ended its initial run. Therefore it was worth buying to tape. In the U.S. a show like M*A*S*H might be on three or four different times a day, sometimes on two different channels (if you lived in an area that overlapped TV markets.)

So fans in the U.K., since the VHS days, are used to getting all the episodes of a series. (That U.K. "seasons" and even series tend to be shorter - on the whole - than those in America is also a factor.) Fans in the U.S. aren't used to getting TV shows on tape at all - and when they do, they tend to get "best of" or "theme pack" sets - which is how The X-Files was released on VHS. DVD has changed all of that, and the studios have been very slow to absorb the lesson. DVD is still very much a "collector's medium" It is also more economical in terms of both money and shelf-space. And, because it is durable, it is better suited to things that people will watch over and over again. All of this means that TV shows will get a very different reception on DVD than they did on VHS, and the studios, which are used to following "tried and true" formulas for marketing, are proving exceedingly thick when it comes to recognizing this fact.

But they do appear to be learning. Certainly a show like Babylon 5, complete, will be cheaper on DVD than it would have been on VHS, and take up a lot less room on the shelf. (I can't imagine trying to find room for a complete B5[:b] release, along with The X-Files[:b] and a couple of other series I might like, if they were on VHS. On DVD this is hardly even an issue. And I could never justify the expense of buying complete series on medium that essentially self-destructs over time, and looks worse every time I play it. [​IMG])

Regards,

Joe

20. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit