Why are some old catalog titles still so expensive?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dave Mack, Aug 13, 2006.

1. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

2. Casey Neutron

Casey Neutron Stunt Coordinator

I was extremely fortunate to find a flipper version of "Sweet and Lowdown" in the Wal-Mart $5.50 bin about two years ago--amongst all the p&s-only copies. But you're right about Sony/Columbia's pricing on older bare-bones titles. The only two Woody Allens I don't have on dvd are "Husbands and Wives" (one of his best IMHO) and "Manhattan Murder Mystery" because I refuse to pay $25 and $28 respectively for them. And there are many other titles Sony has in the $25 range I keep hoping will take a price-drop (Brian DePalma's "Obsession" is just one example). But by waiting for a lower price I am also risking the chance that they'll strip them to p&s only. The dilemmas we face. Sony needs to take a lesson from Fox who let a lot of their catalogue titles hit street at $9.99, even with extras.

3. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

OBSESSION recently went OOP, but the widescreen version was available at DVDPlanet for like 5.50.

4. seanOhara

seanOhara Supporting Actor

Yeah, Nic Ray's In a Lonely Place is high on my wish list, but it's going to stay there because it costs $18 and more everywhere. For a barebones catalogue title that's been out for several years.

5. $80 dollars is completely ridiculous! I got mine for $6 in the bin at Walmart as did many others.

Check GameStop, Walmart, and the FYE clones; it will turn up eventually for a 'song'.

However, I do feel your pain as I'd like to locate WS copies of 'Heavy' and 'Excess Baggage'.

6. WadeM

WadeM Supporting Actor

MGM especially still has over-priced catalog films on DVD--and many still only released in non-anamorphic widescreen! They have some nerve to charge $25-$30 for their bare-bones non-anamorphic stuff. That's why I've still refused to buy a lot of MGM DVDs from the time I first got a DVD player.

7. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

I think some people have gotten a bit spoiled by falling DVD prices.... [​IMG]

But fuck Sony for the Foolscreen reissue crap.

8. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I know what you mean!!! I've wanted to get Grand Illusion, The Lady Vanishes, A Night To Remember and The 39 Steps for years now but Criterion is STILL charging $39.95 for DVDs that came out years ago during the infancy of DVDs. The nerve of them!

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart

That's the MSRP, but you can get them a lot cheaper at DVD Planet for $25.97 each. It's expensive, but it's the only way to get those two Hitchcock films in great a/v quality (with extras). Grand Illusion was restored from the camera negative, so a high price is probably justified.

I held out on a lot of titles and they eventually went lower. I got MGM's two-disc special editions of Raging Bull, The Good the Bad and the Ugly, and The Greatest Story Ever Told for $14.98 each. Universal eventually marked down American Graffiti from $32.98 to $14.98. Same thing for The Blues Brothers and it was $9.98 at Wal-Mart.

10. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Amen, Patrick - Iron Giant SE, less than $5.00 CDN at Wal-Mart, along with Star Trek 2-disc SE movies for $9.95 CDN while supplies lasted.

11. Kramer Lowry

Kramer Lowry Second Unit

[​IMG]

12. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I wait until some place like DEEP DISCOUNT has their 20% of their sale prices, and then go get things like the Criterions. I keep a running list of things I'm willing to wait for, and then I have it at hand when those sales come up.