What's new

Why are some LCD TVs 16:10?? (1 Viewer)

Todd K

Second Unit
So I'm looking at the Samsung LN22A450, and I notice the aspect ratio is 16:10. Why is that? I know computer monitors often have that ratio, but why an HDTV?

My parents would be getting this TV, and I don't want them to be confused as to why high def content still has black bars.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If HD content has black bars on that TV, they are probably so small as to be not noticed. You do need to explain to them that there will be black bars above and below on 2.35:1 content and on each side on 4x3 content.

-Robert

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
According to the specs on the Samsung site, that model has an screen aspect ratio of 16:9. The maximum resolution is given as 1680 x 1050, but resolution would only translate to aspect ratio if the pixels were perfectly square - which they aren't.

As Robert noted you will still have to explaiin pillarboxing on 4:3 material and why wider-than-1.85:1 films like Star Wars, Titanic, Cleopatra, Ben Hur, etc. still have "black bars" because they have to in order to display at the correct AR. (Unless they watch them on one of the many HD services that crops and butchers such films to make them fit a 16:9 frame.)

Regards,

Joe

Todd K

Second Unit
Thanks, guys.

If the pixels are not square, then everything's OK. I was concerned because someone on another forum gave the TV a bad review because the picture was slightly distorted from having a 16:10 ratio.

And googling "LN22A450 16:10" yields numerous hits.

My folks understand the black bar situation, but a real 16:10 ratio would just have thrown a wrench into the works.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Looking at the picture on the site it's definitely a 16:10 ratio. I overlayed little green squares to be sure, the squares are exactly 160x100 pixels.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
1. We're still not sure what the TV does with shows that are exactly 16:9, whether it morphs the picture to exactly fill the 16:10 screen.

2. When your parents start watching movies with different aspect ratios, they will quickly see that all except one aspect ratio leaves black bars somewhere on the screen.

clchen711

Auditioning
Real Name
ChiaLung Chen
The black bar is a good place to display sub-titles, menu. etc.

If you hate the sub-titles that block the critical part of the 16:9 ration HDTV screen as I hate them, you probably would appreciate/like a HDTV with 16:10 ratio screen (with the sub-title/menu bar). However, I am not sure how soon manufactures and consumers would realize the benefit of 16:10 (1920:1200) HDTV screen and apply the extra bar/space to display texts/menu though. Plus, the 16:10 ratio is wide PC/notebook display friendly/compatible!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks