Why are some DVDs still being released on a single layer?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Mitch Stevens, May 13, 2003.

1. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

I've been renting tons of movies from netflix lately, especially very recent movies that have just been released, and I find that some of them are still being released on single-layer DVD. Why is that? You would think that by now, studio would want to release their DVDs with both layers to maximize bitrate. It makes no sense, to me anyway.

The biggest amount of single-layer DVDs I found was from Columbia, and in their case, I'm sure that they're only doing it, to release a superbit later, but what about other studios?

In my opinion every single DVD being released today, should in fact be 2 layers with the maximum bitrate regardless of the title. Especially, when the DVDs in question have no other special features, the least they can do, is release them with good audio/video quality!

2. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Single layer dvds are still cheaper to manufacter and when the total running time of all material on the disc is under 100 minutes or so, there's pretty much no reason to use a second layer.

3. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

I don't know how they make DVD's, but I guess part of the reason is also that DVD-9 and DVD-5 are produced separately, and if resources for DVD-9 production are exhausted, DVD-5 offers an alternative to produce even more titles. This is just speculation of course.

4. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

Once it creeps over 100 minutes or so, it's probably best to spread it to two layers, but I've no qualms with middling bit-rates, as long as the compression is done competently.

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

6. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

It costs less to do single layer. If a title program is short or if it compresses easily, why would the studio add the cost of a dual-layer disc? Dual-layer also increases disc mastering costs from what I understand (has to do with layer-change issues).

One more thought...the "rot" that some have reported with DVDs is a dual-layer DVD issues where the bonding agent fo the layers apparently interacts with the reflective coating. Single-layer disc have to such issues. All things being equal, it might better in the long-run to have single-layer disc on the shelf!

-dave

7. Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens Supporting Actor

8. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Most of the recent Universal Western releases have been single layer and the ones I have seen do not seem to suffer from compression issues. Bend of the River has a misprint on the back of the packaging saying it is dual layer, but it is not. The film and included trailer total less than 95 minutes, IIRC, so this is no big deal.

Regards,

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Some films need muliple layers. Some don't.

10. Terry St

Terry St Second Unit

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

12. GarySchrock

GarySchrock Second Unit

Well, I for one wasn't sure how to tell, so the info was usefull to me. I'd always kinda wondered, but was too lazy to really investigate.

13. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

14. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    DVD Empire lists the sides/layers on their DVD information page. I'm not sure that it's always accurate though.

15. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You are correct Ken, in that George Washington, Loves of a Blonde, Les Dames du Bois de Boulonge and The Importance of Being Earnest are all single layer disks.

Further some of their future releases such as Night and Fog[/I, ]I Fidanzati, and Coup de Grâce as well as the recently released Love on the Run, Bed and Board and Stolen Kisses are all (or will be) single layer.