What's new

Why are some channels louder than others? (1 Viewer)

JasonF

Agent
I noticed that many of my channels play at different volumes. Sometimes I'll listen to one channel at -40ish then the very next channel -30ish. Is there a fix for this? I am just using my non HD D* receiver. Any help?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You need to do a calibration with an SPL meter. The number one cause is usually speaker placement and room effects, which is why placement and calibration are so important.

JasonF

Agent
When I wrote channel I meant like NBC, ABC, Etc. I have calibrated my system per Avia.

TimRP

Stunt Coordinator
There isn't much you can do, calling direcTV and complaining is about the only thing you can do.

Greg-ST

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think complaining is going to do much. The channel stations broadcast their high level signals at different strengths (including audio). I've also noticed this for radio stations too.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My bad, but the question was not clear. Nothing you can do at all about that then. My TV has "steady sound" that minimizes differences in levels from channel to channel, but as far as broadcast TV, there's really nothing you can do.

JasonF

Agent
Thanks for the replies. I kind of figured that there is nothing I could do about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks