What's new

Why are so many trailers 4:3? (1 Viewer)

rbirk

Stunt Coordinator
On many DVDs from different studios the trailers are 4 by 3. I do however never remembering seeing a trailer in a theater in that aspect ratio. So I am simply asking for all trailers to be in the origial aspect ratio as well.

Ron Birk

MichaelAW

Second Unit
On the excellent disc for The Princess and the Warrior (by Columbia/Tri-Star), the film is 16x9, but the trailer for the same film is 4x3. Additionally, there's a trailer for another film (Go, I think), that's 16x9. :confused:

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They have to use the trailers they can find. Sometimes they're meant for scope prints, sometimes for TV, sometimes for flat.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Also, many trailers are already digitally transfered, but for TV.

I don't think it's really worth re-transferring a trailer if it exists already in usable form.

On the other hand, some 1.33:1 trailers are 16x9-ized for DVD. North By Northwest, Superman, The Elephant Man, Deliverance...

Chris M

Second Unit
Then you have the backwards company Disney who put a 16:9 widescreen Trailer on the 4:3 Snow Dogs DVD (not to mention the DTS)... who figures these out?

Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks