What's new

Why are so many series stalled or stopped? (1 Viewer)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
I guess you guys didn't tape a lot of shows when videotapes cost $20 each for 2 hours of recording time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by TravisR

^ Or buy laserdiscs. Twin Peaks, The Twilight Zone and especially Star Trek were all hundreds of dollars.

Having said that, that is the past and no one would pay those kinds of prices today.
Exactly. Indeed, I have paid $100 or more in the past for some laserdisc sets, including Twin Peaks, and even around $125 for the special edition of Bram Stoker's 'Dracula' on laserdisc. The early DVD sets of Star Trek: TNG and The X-Files were also $100/each or more when I started my collection.

But the modern marketplace has changed with the technology and I would no longer spend that much on any release. That's one of the reasons I resist moving fully into Blu-Ray; I'm not willing to spend $25-$40 per disc.

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Those early sets of TNG and The X-Files are still extremely expensive for their age (even though X-Files was repackaged). I still won't buy them because of the price, and they've been available since the dawn of TV-DVD.

Too bad, I'd love to own them.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by Traveling Matt

Those early sets of TNG and The X-Files are still extremely expensive for their age (even though X-Files was repackaged). I still won't buy them because of the price, and they've been available since the dawn of TV-DVD.

Too bad, I'd love to own them.
I have seen both shows on sale quite often. I have seen The X Files thinpack sets for under $20 a season! I myself picked up the later seasons of TNG for $25, a season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks