What's new

Why are people from some countries such horrible tippers? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
---I'm not really up to date on the minimum wage laws, but I'm fairly certain the servers are guaranteed the minimum wage salary and if they do not make up the difference in salary, then the employer has to make it up.---
I have a buddy who works as a cook. He informed me that the proposed changes to minimum wage laws being implemented in B.C, will result in "tipped" servers being paid less than the minimum wage because "they get tips". The proposed changes to min. wage law regarding servers also creates a "training" wage 25% below the going min. rate because "it will create jobs". Yeah..riiiight.......I think "der leader" still believes in Santa Claus too.
I would like to see anyone actually live on $6.85 an hour in British Columbia. I make triple that and I still feel financially stretched trying to live here.
Restaurant workers should be paid a living wage by their EMPLOYER....that way they would not have to rely on the capricious practice of "tipping" to make a decent living.
[Edited last by Edwin-S on November 05, 2001 at 02:33 PM]

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
On a related topic...
I'm not sure why this is, but I've noticed an increase in the number of waiters/waitresses who attempt, many times feebly, to memorize the order. While I was impressed by the novelty of it the first time it happened to me, now it just irks me because the order is inevitably wrong or incomplete. And my tip shrinks accordingly. So if you are a waiter or waitress -- write the darn order down!
------------------
Home Theater Pictures

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
On a related note, are other parts of the country noticing an expansion of the tipping problem? Here in Buffalo, tip jars are not only to be found at coffee houses, which has been the case for a while, but at establishments surrounding said coffee houses. I mean, the people at these places don't provide any more service than one finds at a McDonald's, but they are somehow entitled to tips? For what? Not spitting in the food? Why do I get the feeling that these people, unlike waiters/waitresses in more traditional settings, make minimum wage?

Brad_W

Screenwriter
On my wedding night we went to a bar to have some fun with out of town friends (after I broke the head board in our room... GO ME!). Everyone else left and left me with the money for their bills and a little bit for a tip. Keep in mind the waiter only came three times: once to take our orders, once to give us our food and drinks and once to hand us our bill. I gave him a three dollar tip and he came back to me and asked me WHY I had given him a small tip. I gave him 50 cents and said, sorry I forgot this too.
What a lame ass.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html
My List O' DVDs:
Link Removed

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,
Completely agree with you. Here in the Bay Area, one coffee place that is sure to have a tip cup next to the register is Starbuck Coffee. I'm sorry, I just don't understand it. What am I tipping for? Maybe I should of had a tip cup when I worked at Burger King as a teenager. I realize you don't need to tip but the fact that it's there annoys me! It's like saying, "see all these dollar bills here? If you don't contribute to it, you're cheap."

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Ryan, I like your rule about 3 Req = no tip.
As for the tipping jar, well, there are some places I don't mind it - like at the bowling alley. That's fine, they cook the food to order there, and thus give some service. Any coin change I get goes in there.
But at Starbucks? Where the coffee runs 5 bucks? No thanks.
I too would prefer to see waitstaff be paid minimum wage at least. And forget the taxes on tips - it's nigh impossible to enforce on cash anyway, which most tips are. So why bother?
Mike

Paulus

Agent
This is a very interesting thread. I'm a Swede that moved to So Cal 18 months ago and only recently figured out the whole tipping thing. 10% + round up to the closest dollar for average service and 15% + round for good service. When the service is really great 25%.
Now to my story, this spring my folks were visiting so the four of us (the wife included) had lunch at some place on Hollywood Blvd. The service was pretty bad and the biggest problem (I thought) was that they didn't offer refills. When the bill came the waitress had added 15% gratitude that really got me pissed since in the menu it said that they added 18% for parties of five or more. When I confronted her about it she claimed it was policy top do so. I ended up with the penny tip. If only the story ended there, I was charged an extra $30 on my bill and it took me three calls over two weeks to the restaurant to get it reversed, but no apology.
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...alias=BLUEPAUL

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
If I believe in anything, it's that only waiters can understand waiters.
There are only two kinds of non-tippers/low tippers: those who are not culturally brought up to tip, and people who exercise cruel, ruthless logic.
It's understandable when,culturally speaking, people don't tip. For example, Mexicans are pretty lousy tippers, tipping in the area of less than 10%. I know this from experience (I'm a waiter myself). I also work in a Mexican restaurant (it's funny seeing an Asian work in a Mexican restaurant, yeah I'd laugh too), and from talking with the cooks and bussers, tipping isn't a big practice at all in Mexico. So I completely understand when Mexican guests leave a very little tip.
Now this leaves people who exercise cruel, ruthless logic. With the exception of one friend of mine, I hate these bastards. Sure their logic works, but it's more of an exercise in a lack of compassion and snobbery. Let's examine their mindset for a minute or two.
1. I don't need to tip waiters/waitresses because drive-thru/in restaurant cashiers give me my food as well.
- This kind of thinking shows how shallow certain logic goes. Yes drive-thru people give you your food, but you also had to put effort into getting food via your own vehicle and your own feet. Do restaurant cashiers go out from behind their stand and walk up to you to give your drink refills? Nope. Did the man at the drive-thru come to your home to knock on your door to ask if your food is alright? Last I checked, that didn't happen. Last time I got service at a fast food restaurant was at a Fazoli's where I got refills on breadsticks. But I still had to get up and get my own refills.
2. Waiters are low-lifes, and I'm better than them.
- Don't even get me started on what's wrong with this statement.
furious.gif

3. If waiters have such a terrible job, why don't they just up and go to school to get a better education and get a better job?
- Again, people aren't really thinking too hard when they think along these lines. Let's take a waiter who has to support a family. He/She gets their bi-weekly paycheck and some tip money. Unless you work in Las Vegas, you're not getting much money at all. You have bills and daily expenses to pay, and the money you have left over, you either have to dump it into savings/investments for retirement or save so that your own children can have a better future. Oh so the guy/gal wants to go to school to get a better education? Unless they have a millionaire spouse, this prospect is all but impossible. With the increasing competition in the job market, more and more schooling is almost required. An undergraduate degree can barely get you anything. But the fact remains that a post-grad and grad degree require the one thing that most waiter/waitresses who work for a living don't have: time and resources. How can you support yourself or your family when you're busy learning about glycolysis or the workings of supply and demand in economics? People seem to forget that some people aren't just blessed with the thing we take for granted called opportunity.
4. I don't need to tip because the service was lousy.
- As a waiter, I can kind of see this point. Maybe it's just the restaurant I work in, but our group believes in offering the best in service possible, regardless of how big of an ass (an I'm not talking assets either) the guest is. If service was lousy, don't even tip at all. I'm a waiter, and I wouldn't. However, what I question is what one person deems lousy. Guests seem to think they're the only ones in the world being waited on. From experience, waiting on 9 simultaneous tables will take its toll on you. You can't always expect a super-duper extremely quick re-fill when your glass is empty.
Sheww, I'm glad I'm finally finished ranting. Oh by the way, I'm a college pre-med working part-time as a waiter. It's been an extremely humbling experience for me. To the other waiters and waitresses out there, 15% is a dream. I've come to the conclusion only waiters/waitresses know to do this.
laugh.gif

------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Stranger things have happened..." - Wes Deskins
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

PatrickM

Screenwriter
Holy Crap! I'm starting to realize there are a lot of anti-social loners here on the good old forum. First its the thread about being put out to give candy on Halloween and now being "forced" to tip. You know, interacting with people is a good thing. Interacting with only your remote control is bad.
Look, this is the way it works here in North America. If you want the employers to pay more or the waiters/waitresses to unionize then you'll still be paying more and you'll have no meaningful say whatsoever in how they served you. Think about that.
So, lets just add 15% to all the prices of the items on the menu so you don't have to tip. How does that help any?
Patrick
------------------
Evidence of my obsession.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Amen.
I'll add that: those of you who feel put out by tipping have alternatives. One of them is called the grocery store. Drive to the store, pick out your food, go to the cash register and pay (if you're not opposed to paying). Bag it yourself and cart it out to your car. Drive home. Spend considerable time preparing your meal. Then serve yourself. Refill your drink whenever you desire.
But whatever you do, please don't go to a restaurant and expect to have all of the above done FOR YOU if you aren't willing to pay for the luxury.
[Edited last by Scott Calvert on November 08, 2001 at 02:19 PM]

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
I don't tip.
What do ya mean ya don't tip?
I don't believe in it.
Whaddya mean ya don't believe in it?
Waouw-waouw, Reservoir Dogs flashback...
cool.gif

In Belgium, taxes and tips are always included in the final price... When I go to the US, I'm always uncomfortable tipping waiters/resses (is it enough? too much?). And don't get me started on the whole "I have to pay $1.08 for this $1 stuff"
rolleyes.gif

Vincent
------------------

AFI Top 100 Films Home Theater Forum Challenge

AFI Movies Left To Watch: 34 33 32 31 30: Sound Of Music (3.5 out of 4)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
---But whatever you do, please don't go to a restaurant and expect to have all of the above done FOR YOU if you aren't willing to pay for the luxury.----
Funny....I always thought the price of the dinner you ordered was to pay for all of those "luxuries" you just mentioned. I didn't realize those menu prices were just the cost of admission for you to occupy a seat.
I am not against tipping but the need for it would disappear if Hospitality employers stopped thinking that their employees are worth less than dirt and started compensating them properly!

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
But whatever you do, please don't go to a restaurant and expect to have all of the above done FOR YOU if you aren't willing to pay for the luxury.
I am paying for the luxury. It's the price listed next to the menu item that I'm ordering. That price is calculated by the establishment in which I am a patron, and includes any and all expenses, including preparation and delivery of the meal. Such expenses should also include proper compensation for the servers responsible for preparation and delivery.
The fact that it does not include adequete compensation is a whole other matter. I don't believe that restaurant patrons should be required to oversee the need to assume responsibility for the restuarants owners low wages.
And once again, no, it's not a question of being "cheap". I work hard for my money (just like any waiter or waitress), so I choose how I spend it - especially on variable expenses such as tipping. I'm allowed to use my own discretion to tip, so I will.
Tipping, much like driving, is a privilege, not a right. If I feel that the service was to my liking, I'll tip accordingly. If not, well... don't expect much tip money from me. I'll pay my bill (based on the numbers calculated by the menu item I ordered and any applicable taxes), and then be on my way.
(Flame suit still on!!!)
Moe.

Scott_G

Second Unit
Wow, when did people start tipping the Pizza guy more that a buck or so.
I used to deliver back in college (early 80's). You were lucky to keep the change. I only know of a few people who would tip you more than 50 cents. I'd deliver 20-40 pies a night and make 4 to 5 bucks max. That was back with the 30 min guarantee. You show up late - no tip no pay. Now everything takes 45 min or more. I always go and pick it up - it's faster.
Worked as a cook and watched the waiters bring in over a hundred bucks on a good night (take home - before tax laws), I was making $3.35 before taxes. They never gave me a dime.
I don't mind tipping for good service, but I've seen it go from 10% to 15% now 18-20%. Where does it end ? I read people giving 25%.
On another tipping subject, do you tip on pretax or taxed amounts. Most checks show up with the tax figured in and your expected to tip on top of that. May not seem like much but when I take a group out and run it up over $400 -$500 - your talking another $5-$6. Of course most of these places have the 18% added in for more than 5 people (after tax !!) and there is still a line to add more tip. So the waiter serves us for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, works a few other tables and gets around $100. Not too bad.
btw My sister was a waitress - always tips big.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
People seem to be ignorant of the fact that your tips are taxable income. So in essence, you're getting less money than someone on minimum wage. I have to report my tips after every shift. Come next paycheck, all that $2.13/hr is gone to nil.
Yeah, seriously. If you don't like tipping, don't even bother going out and cook your own damn meals.
furious.gif

------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Let's see, Matt Chmiel has Rini Bell, NickSO has Mena Suvari, John Williamson has Ivana Milisevic, and Steve Gon has Emmanuelle Beart...who the hell do I have???
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Deane Johnson

Supporting Actor
I recently had such bad service at a higher end steak house that I wasn't going to leave a tip. The person with me said I needed to do something or the waiter would think I just forgot. So I wrote on the charge slip "No Tip, Terrible Service". I figured this was not only would the person providing the terrible service know, but the management would also when the charge slip was turned in.
Generally, I tip 20%-25% for exceptional service, 15% for average, 10% for mediocre, and nothing for bad. If we're going to continue to follow the "tip" regimen, it should be reflective of the service received and not something that is automatically owed.
Deane

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I think that a good thing for the rest of the posts in this thread should also include what people here define as bad service.
------------------
"Let's see, Matt Chmiel has Rini Bell, NickSO has Mena Suvari, John Williamson has Ivana Milisevic, and Steve Gon has Emmanuelle Beart...who the hell do I have???
My DVD Collection

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
I think that a good thing for the rest of the posts in this thread should also include what people here define as bad service.
-Incorrect order
-Poorly prepared food
-Excessive wait for food
-Rushed service (getting the main course when you've just started eating the appetizer)
-Incorrect bill
As I said earlier, my tip is based on the overall experience of the meal, including the food quality.
------------------
Home Theater Pictures

Scott_G

Second Unit
Bad service
- being seated more than 5 min before waiter shows up.
- telling me "it will be out in a minute" and the item comes out 10 min or more later.
- waiting more than 10min after finishing and still having to ask for the check.
- empty glass of "whatever" for more than 10 min.
- taking my bill and not bringing it back for more 10 min.
- being rude
that's a start

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I have a question. After dining at a buffet, should you tip the waiter/waitress? I've seen some people tip, but the overwhelming majority of the time that I've looked, people don't tip.
I don't go out to eat much, but when I do, it's usually to buffets. I want to follow proper etiquette.
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks