What's new

Why are people from some countries such horrible tippers? (1 Viewer)

KDHM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kim Donald Houde-Martens
After being a waiter for many years in NYC I have asked myself and co-workers the same question often about many groups not just the Brits, I always made an extra effort to give the best service possible to the people servers believe will leave a bad tip because maybe those people leave bad tips because of the bad service they always get because that what the sever expects, Ya, often I sill got a big smile and lots of thanks but no cash, but it always balanced out. At my last job I had to write a check to my employer every month because what I was paid by them did not cover my portion for health Plan and the taxes (the US assumes you make a min 8% of your total sales) Plus 3% of my sales to the Bussers 2% of sales to the food runners and 2% of sales to the Bar, why would I stay at a job like this, the answer for those who have never waited tables is because I was still making more at my 30 hour per week job then most people make working 40+ hours. Every time someone would leave me a bad tip on what I knew was good to great service all I could do is remind myself that I don't chase those who left 20-30% tips out the door to tell them they left too much. thank god there were more 20+ tips then under 10%.
For those who choose to leave a bad tip here's a tip for you "pay in cash", Many years ago I knew a music student working as a server who (before he was fired for this) would keep copies of the Credit Card numbers of those who had left him a bad tip, He would then Charge over the phone tickets for seats at the Met then on the night of the Opera pay for standing and just before the show starts sit in the seats ordered over the phone. (he's now performing on B'way)

ChristopherS

Second Unit
I have a question about tipping. When I tip, I just add the taxes together (comes to 15% in Ontario) and that is what I leave (on top of the entire bill). Do other people do this? I feel no need to tip on top of a government tax but I always wondered what the serving staff think.
Chris

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
I'm personally offended by generalizing all us brits as bad tippers but then I expect no less from you americans :)
------------------
http://www.mts.net/~glendap/

brentl

Senior HTF Member
hey must be saving up for dental work :)
Brent L
------------------
OK guys ..... The tour of the Paradigm
plant is now being planned. GO TO THE HOME THEaTER
MEETS PAGE and register.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Well, as most Europeans have stated already: usually the expected tip is lower over here, and/or implied in the bill.
I remember, three years ago, being in a hotel in Atlanta with some professional colleagues. When the person who decided to pay the bill of our drinks added a 12% tip, the waitress actually came back telling him it was too low!
He was flabbergasted.
Instead of saying: Why are the English such horrible tippers, you could as well have said: Why do American pubs and restaurants pay their staffs so poorly?
Cees
[Edited last by Cees Alons on November 02, 2001 at 09:29 AM]

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor
Oh man,
I remember starting a thread about tipping last year.
I'm probably going to get lambasted for what I'm going to say, but I'm going to say it anyway.
-[Rant ON]-
How about this idea - restaurant owners pay their employees so that restauranteurs don't have to pay extra for "good service". It almost feels like a bribe to me. "I'll pay you extra now, so you don't spit in my food the next time I come in."
The idea of tipping just seems very shady to me. If I go to a restaurant to get food, I expect to get served properly. I don't want bad service, yet I don't expect smiles, kisses hugs & handshakes.
Just bring me my food such that it's the way it's described on the menu, and doesn't make me sick. I don't expect a song-and-dance routine. Just my food. The compensation for the service should be covered by the employer.
I tip because I feel that I have to, and living in Toronto that usually involves %15 (I add up PST & GST). But it's not something I'm happy doing - not because I'm cheap, but because I choose to spend my money the way I want to.
I can think of many people who go above and beyond the call of duty in their every-day jobs to provide exemplary service. They don't get tipped.
(Yes, I know there's going to be a few of you who call me cheap anyway - I don't care.)
If servers feel that they're not being treated fairly by their employers... that they're not receiving the compensation that they deserve, etc. then why not Unionize? It's worked for several industries, so why not attempt to form a Waiter/Waitress union?
-[Rant OFF]-
There's lots more for me to rant about this subject, but I think I've incriminated myself enough.
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go pull my flame-suit out of mothballs. :)
Moe.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I agree that it's irritating that it's just EXPECTED and that the owners/managers should pay their employees what they're worth. A tip should be a reward for excellent service and not expected.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the last three posts here. Tips are a way of expressing gratitude for excellent service, it should be at the customers discretion to do so. The service staff should be paid by the employer.
That said, the service IS better if the person servicing you expect a tip. He gets more money for better service.
To me, it seems like it's just a way for the employer to save money though, and what some waiters are paid is shameful and almost comparable to slavery.
/Mike

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
When the person who decided to pay the bill of our drinks added a 12% tip, the waitress actually came back telling him it was too low!
I would have called the manager over and taken every last cent of that tip back.
I'm with the others here who think tipping should not be expected. I hate having to add $3 every time I order a pizza, but if I don't, they'll spit in it. (A buddy of mine worked as a pizza delivery driver. They know who the non-tippers are and they will spit in and sneeze on your pizza, among other things...) I really don't see a reason to tip these people. They already get paid a base salary plus milage.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
So the owner of the establishment should pay his servers more, eh? We all know he's not going to roll that extra cost into the bill, right?
Look at it this way: the owner can pay his people more, and you can be FORCED to pay a higher bill, or you can pay for your food and leave whatever tip your judgement dictates.
In the first case, you can be GUARANTEED to get crappy service. Hey, the waiters getting paid no matter what, right? In the second case, the waiter has a VESTED INTEREST in getting your food to your table in a timely manner, while it's still hot.
Then again, maybe I just don't think leaving a lousy 3 bucks for a 20 dollar meal is that big of a deal.

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
In the first case, you can be GUARANTEED to get crappy service. Hey, the waiters getting paid no matter what, right? In the second case, the waiter has a VESTED INTEREST in getting your food to your table in a timely manner, while it's still hot.
Why are you guaranteed bad service? Because Americans are lazy and only motivated by money and only the thought of a big tip can motivate them to DO THEIR JOB? I was pleasantly surprised when I went to Australia. There was no tipping and the service was exceptional. Why can't the US do this also?
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
actually. I've never been to Germany, but my german professor was from there (makes sense I guess)
since 15% is included in the bill he said the service is terrible and the wait staff don't care at all unless you're in a really nice establishment.
so don't pin it on Americans.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
quote: For those who choose to leave a bad tip here's a tip for you "pay in cash", Many years ago I knew a music student working as a server who (before he was fired for this) would keep copies of the Credit Card numbers of those who had left him a bad tip, He would then Charge over the phone tickets for seats at the Met then on the night of the Opera pay for standing and just before the show starts sit in the seats ordered over the phone. (he's now performing on B'way)[/quote]
Thats a pretty good idea, except its called embezzlement and is a felony punished by prison time. I've had waiters try to double charge my bill before (NOT on accident) and I've offered to testify against them. This is not retribution for a bad tip, this is theft, plain and simple. I always keep my receipts and I always check each entry on the Amex statement.
And I strongly disagree with the policy of not blaming the server. Most resturants have tip sharing policies (at least here in GA) and as I have learned in customer service, you are responsible for the customers level of service and perception of the establishment. If the food is slow, bitch at the cooks or tell the MGR; it the table isn't clean, tell the bussing/cleaning staff. I am no cheapskate when it comes to tipping, and regularly frequent resturants with excellent service and food that I leave upwards of 30% at; but there are also those that treat me awful because I didn't order the $40 lobster appetizer or I'm not buying 15 drinks before dinner and i'll give them 10% or less every time. And as far as spitting in my food (I've heard stories from my sister-in-law about cooks peeing on steaks), its not going to kill me, and I won't come back. And if I realize its happening, I'll call the county inspector out. I think its downright outrageous to be intimidated by anyone that you chose to serve you.
------------------
hfb.jpg

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
[Edited last by Matt Stryker on November 02, 2001 at 11:28 AM]
[Edited last by Matt Stryker on November 02, 2001 at 11:58 AM]

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Don't servers pay income tax on a certain assumed level of tipping? I've never been a server (or a workstation for that matter) but this is the impression I've gotten.
I usually start at 20% and let the server work his/her way down (or up, on rare occasions) from there. I don't usually go below 15% unless a server does something to distinguish themself as exceptionally bad.
As a rule, I try to be nice to anybody who has an opportunity to spend time alone with my food.
[Edited last by Jim_F on November 02, 2001 at 11:34 AM]

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
quote:
As a rule, I go out of my way to be nice to anybody who has an opportunity to spend time alone with my food.
[/quote]
LOL
generally I leave 15% for average, average meaning if they keep the glasses full most of the time and don't bug me too much (I drink a lot so I'm hard to keep up with on refills)
the only time I've ever completely shafted someone she brought our salads and drinks, and disapeared for 20 minutes, then brought our food and disapeared for good. Didn't even bring the check, never got a refill. Of course this WAS perkins.. not really a fine establishment and it was like 11 at night so what can you expect I guess :)
[Edited last by Philip_G on November 02, 2001 at 11:36 AM]

Scott Calvert

Supporting Actor
Adrian, it's called Human Nature, and no level of employee evaluation is going to get you the kind of service you would get if the server is trying to get a nice tip.
------------------

AdrianJ

Supporting Actor
If that is true Scott, why do you get good service in countries where tipping is not customary?
------------------
smallhb.jpg

Adrian Jones

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Many years ago I knew a music student working as a server who (before he was fired for this) would keep copies of the Credit Card numbers of those who had left him a bad tip, He would then Charge over the phone tickets for seats at the Met then on the night of the Opera pay for standing and just before the show starts sit in the seats ordered over the phone. (he's now performing on B'way)
Never knew Matthew Broderick had these skeletons in his closet.
wink.gif

patriot.gif

------------------
--Mike
Amazon Hot 100 DVD's

Bob McLaughlin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob
Okay, let's hear from all those people out there that are getting FILTHY RICH from collecting tips!
...anyone? ....anyone?
Didn't think so.

Users who are viewing this thread