Why are ota hdtv decoders so expensive?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_Kloss, Feb 19, 2002.

1. Mike_Kloss

Mike_Kloss Auditioning

My DVD player can push out a signal worthy of my 50 inch 16:9 television, and it cost less than $250 over a year ago.

How can the set top boxes for hdtv still be $450 and up? It seems like they are gouging us.

What don't I understand here? Are there price breaks coming soon?

2. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

The price of HD decoders have dropped over 50 % in the last year or so..I imagine they will keep coming down in the future just as the price of HD sets have dropped and are continuing to drop in price.

3. Scott_G

Scott_G Second Unit

Same reason DVD players were and DVD recorders are. VOLUME.

When everyone starts buying them - companies get economies of scale.

4. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Good point Scott. Early adopters always pay more. It costs more to be on the cutting edge of technology.

5. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

With E* & D* requiring that all new HDTV receivers must have DVI and/or Firewire connections, I would assume that the price of HD STB'd are going to stay about the same.

6. RichN

RichN Stunt Coordinator

I read an article last week that said Philips had just come out with an IC that should bring the cost of a digital receiver down to around $200.00 by the end of the year. Lets hope they (the author) know what they're talking about, and that the cost reduction gets passed on to us, the consumer.

RichN

7. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I've heard that most of the cost of the STBs are in the ATSC tuners which are only being produced in limited quanities and are expensive.?

8. Mike_Kloss

Mike_Kloss Auditioning

Sigh....I figured the high price was due to the early adopter pose we are striking, but it still strikes me as wicked expensive.

It's okay, I can wait. I talked her into the tv, which is more than I thought I'd see in this lifetime.

Finally, I must plead ignorance here.....what is E* & D*?

9. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

E* = Echostar/Dish Network

D* = DirecTV

They are merging, and I'm not sure if the merger has completely gone through yet.

10. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

I don't know guys. I remember when the Zenith STB was first announced with a MSRP of something like $500. Then price went up, and up, and up till it was at $750. The new Panasonic STB are $999! Prices should be starting to drop at least a little. Sure seems that prices are staying pretty level. I was waiting till there was some sort of price break, but I finally broke down at got a open box DTC-100 for $300 in January.

I wonder how much connectivity plays into the price of STB.

Matt

11. GarryW

GarryW Stunt Coordinator

I too was wondering whats up here. One dealer told me that the mfg. feel that if a guy has the bucks for an HDTV ready, then he'll pay the price.
    I got the approval for a 55" HD ready set, and I haven't told the wife that that the tuner is extra! [​IMG]
    Sounds like capitalism in it's true form to me![​IMG]

12. John Knowles

John Knowles Stunt Coordinator

John
    I know everyone's price threshold is different to where they'll go for something like this, but I'm certainly not going to shell out $500 just to watch a few shows on HD. It seems silly that the tuner is 25%, in some cases, of the cost of the set. Maybe half that amount and I'll spring for it...

13. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

"Shoes for Industry! Shoes for the Dead!" - awesome quote John; never realized other HTFers were into dwarf-crushing!
    You can check your local CC; they had some of the RCA boxes that were around $400 the last time I was there; if you are using an HTPC to drive your projector or RPTV, consider the AccessDTV card for $379(http://www.digitalconnection.com/Pro...Video/adtv.htm); it also includes Tivo-like PVR functionality, which none of the current set-tops do.

14. John Knowles

John Knowles Stunt Coordinator

John
    --Thanks, I always enjoy spreading a bit of the Firesign around...

I should probably look at the RCA boxes since they're more likely to be discounted. Since I already have a Tivo, I'd love a STB that did that as well (maybe recording at a lower resolution to save space or something). BTW, does anyone know if UPN is doing Star Trek: Enterprise in hi def? It's always 16X9, but I'd be interested in knowing.

15. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Sofar as I know, UPN has no HD signal. It's probably anamorphic on the digital channel, but they don't even have that in Philadelphia, one of the best towns for HD in the country.