Why are my fish scared of me?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thi Them, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I bought several Koi fish two days ago for my backyard pond. Every time I walk over to the pond to see them, they are either hiding or they swim away to hide. Is there anything I can do so that they won't be afraid?

Also, I have a feeding question. I bought a bag of some small pellets for my six Koi. How much should I feed them?

~T

2. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Feed them what they can eat in two or three minutes, two or three times a day.

They're not scared of you, per se; they're scared. Make sure the water is comfortable for them; no chlorine, right pH and temperature, all that stuff. Then feed them, and let them adjust.

3. Brian Mansure

Brian Mansure Second Unit

To add what Shayne said...

The Koi are most likely stressed which will make them skitish (sp?). I would definitely make sure all your water parameters are up to snuff and the water temperature is comfortable for the fish. It may take them a full 2 weeks or more to become properly acclimated to their new environment.

Brian

4. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

After I said 'they're scared' I forgot to add 'by the very traumatic process of being transported to a new place, dumped into some new water, and blah blah blah.'

You can also try adding extra stress coat to their water.

Also, was the water conditioned? I.e. is dumping several new fish into it going to overload the bacterial system? Does it even have one yet? Or are they choking on thier own poo and pee?

Is this an outdoor koi pond, or an indoor tank, or what?

Do you have adequate mechanical and chemical filtration?

Have you kept fish before, or are these your first?

So many questions....

5. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

I've had the outdoor pond for several weeks now and added in the Koi fish a few days ago. These are my first fish ever.

I have a mechanical filter/pump that I will keep running 24 hours a day (the water turned green last week when I had only ran it during the day). I bought a product recommended by the Koi store owner called Tetra Pond Aqua Safe which neutralizes chlorine, chloramines and heavy metals in tap water, and protects fish gills and membranes and helps heal wounds.

What else do I need for my pond and fish?

Thanks for the help.

~T

6. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

once your fish become accustomed (sp?) to seeing you and then being fed they'll start to come out and play more. Fish in our backyard were scared of us all the time, then after realizing when they saw us they'd getting something to eat they'd swarm once they saw a human. It's gotten to the point where you can stick your hand int he water and they'll nibble on you they're so friendly (/hungry)

7. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

my saltwater fish do the same thing, after a few weeks they get used to me, I can even reach in the tank and they don't run away.