What's new

Why are mashed potatoes immune to microwaves? (1 Viewer)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Whenever I heat up a plate of leftovers, the mashed potatoes are still ice cold while every other part of the meal is cooked beyond recognition.

What is the miracle ingredient? Can potatoes be used to deflect heat? radiation?

Perhaps they should line the space shuttle with mashed potatoes to protect it during re-entry.

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
They aren't immune - just dense. Microwaves excite the molecules and most microwave ovens tend to concentrate their power in the middle. Best idea I have - make sure your potatoes are in the center and they'll get the most microwaves. Given that they are thick and dense, they will naturally take longer to heat up, so I'd also suggest mashing them to a thinner, wider area.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Here's Dave now, hard at work assembling his mash potato's for microwave injection. Notice the very intense look on his face, you go Dave!

Mike Lenthol

Second Unit
Mashed potatoes heated in a microwave taste bad :angry: So I haven't experimented with that much.

Logically, wouldn’t dense material actually get hotter faster? As an 'analogy' it seems mashed potatoes won't get hot quick for the same reason aluminum foil would disintegrate in the microwave while a plastic cup would barely warm up.

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
If your mashed potatoes are too thick, they may not have enough water to heat up effectively. Whenever I'm reheating leftover lasagna or pizza, I always sprinkle a bit of water on top to help it warm up.

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
Good idea Francois. Water molcules will heat up quicker - maybe poke some holes in your pile of mashed potatoes with a fork and sprinkle some water down them? Or butter and gravy....mmmm....

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
:laugh: Thanks for making coffee come out my nose, Ron.

I've always wondered in that movie, why they would make so many mashed potatoes for a family of 4.

They must have leftovers.

I've decided I am going to line my snow boots with mashed potatoes the next time I go ice fishing... will post my findings.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Your very welcome Dave. Anytime I can help ya double filter your espressnose coffee, I'm there.

Peace Out~:D

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
My mom and sister like to explore "alternative" health practices, and their current guru has told them to never heat anything in the microwave. Something in the food gets "destroyed" (enzymes or nutrients or something).

They didn't really want to discuss it with me, since I'm so "closed minded", but there have been lots of studies on the subject :rolleyes.

Chet_F

Supporting Actor
Here's my 2 cents:

It appears that certain microwave ovens heat differently. I.E. my microwave heats items on the outside of the plaste more than the inside.

"If your mashed potatoes are too thick, they may not have enough water to heat up effectively. Whenever I'm reheating leftover lasagna or pizza, I always sprinkle a bit of water on top to help it warm up."

You are exactly right. Microwave ovens work on the principle of exciting the molecules to make them warmer. If your peice of food has little or no water then it will take a longer time to heat or not heat at all. Sprinkling water on food prior to heating is the best way to get your food warm and in a condition closest to what it once was. If you do not add a little water the food will become dry or rubbery. Ever reheat french fries..that's a good example. Whenever I reheat potatoes I either put some butter on them or water.

Later :)

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Interesting... why are water molecules more easily excited by microwaves?

And what ever happened to those ovens that use light to heat food? Namely GE's Advantium oven? Has anyone used one of these?

I remember seeing the first ads a few years ago and thinking, "finally, an answer to crummy microwave food!"

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
And what ever happened to those ovens that use light to heat food?
I will never buy into the same technology used by my local bowling alley to cook their hot dogs:)

Seriously though, has anyone tried one of these Advantium ovens. GE's site is a bit nebulous in the actual technology used.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks