Why are mashed potatoes immune to microwaves?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Poehlman, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Whenever I heat up a plate of leftovers, the mashed potatoes are still ice cold while every other part of the meal is cooked beyond recognition.

What is the miracle ingredient? Can potatoes be used to deflect heat? radiation?

Perhaps they should line the space shuttle with mashed potatoes to protect it during re-entry.

2. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

They aren't immune - just dense. Microwaves excite the molecules and most microwave ovens tend to concentrate their power in the middle. Best idea I have - make sure your potatoes are in the center and they'll get the most microwaves. Given that they are thick and dense, they will naturally take longer to heat up, so I'd also suggest mashing them to a thinner, wider area.

3. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Stunt Coordinator

Maybe start the potatoes in for s bit before adding the rest of the stuff to the plate?

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Here's Dave now, hard at work assembling his mash potato's for microwave injection. Notice the very intense look on his face, you go Dave!

[​IMG]

5. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

6. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

LOL! That CE3K pic should be the basis for Dave's next sig [​IMG]

7. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Mashed potatoes heated in a microwave taste bad [​IMG] So I haven't experimented with that much.

Logically, wouldn’t dense material actually get hotter faster? As an 'analogy' it seems mashed potatoes won't get hot quick for the same reason aluminum foil would disintegrate in the microwave while a plastic cup would barely warm up.

8. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

Francois Caron
    If your mashed potatoes are too thick, they may not have enough water to heat up effectively. Whenever I'm reheating leftover lasagna or pizza, I always sprinkle a bit of water on top to help it warm up.

9. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

Good idea Francois. Water molcules will heat up quicker - maybe poke some holes in your pile of mashed potatoes with a fork and sprinkle some water down them? Or butter and gravy....mmmm....

10. BrettB

BrettB Producer

[​IMG]
    Now knock that off. This is important, this means something.[​IMG]

11. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

[​IMG] Thanks for making coffee come out my nose, Ron.

I've always wondered in that movie, why they would make so many mashed potatoes for a family of 4.

They must have leftovers.

I've decided I am going to line my snow boots with mashed potatoes the next time I go ice fishing... will post my findings.

12. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Your very welcome Dave. Anytime I can help ya double filter your espressnose coffee, I'm there.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

13. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    My mom and sister like to explore "alternative" health practices, and their current guru has told them to never heat anything in the microwave. Something in the food gets "destroyed" (enzymes or nutrients or something).

They didn't really want to discuss it with me, since I'm so "closed minded", but there have been lots of studies on the subject [​IMG].

14. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Here's my 2 cents:

It appears that certain microwave ovens heat differently. I.E. my microwave heats items on the outside of the plaste more than the inside.

"If your mashed potatoes are too thick, they may not have enough water to heat up effectively. Whenever I'm reheating leftover lasagna or pizza, I always sprinkle a bit of water on top to help it warm up."

You are exactly right. Microwave ovens work on the principle of exciting the molecules to make them warmer. If your peice of food has little or no water then it will take a longer time to heat or not heat at all. Sprinkling water on food prior to heating is the best way to get your food warm and in a condition closest to what it once was. If you do not add a little water the food will become dry or rubbery. Ever reheat french fries..that's a good example. Whenever I reheat potatoes I either put some butter on them or water.

Later [​IMG]

15. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Interesting... why are water molecules more easily excited by microwaves?

And what ever happened to those ovens that use light to heat food? Namely GE's Advantium oven? Has anyone used one of these?

I remember seeing the first ads a few years ago and thinking, "finally, an answer to crummy microwave food!"

16. Joe McKeown

Joe McKeown Stunt Coordinator

Jonathan,

There's a thread
    for skeptics. Shame..

17. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

18. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

19. Mark Frank

Mark Frank Stunt Coordinator

Here's a quick piece on how microwaves work:

http://www.sciencenet.org.uk/databas...2/p01218d.html

Anything I heat in the microwave that's not already full of moisture gets a couple of drops of water on it so it heats better. For mashed potatoes and mac & cheese a little milk works wonders.

20. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer