What's new

Why are Hitachi RPTV's so easily Ignored? (1 Viewer)

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
And if I may add to my previous post -
It seems as though you guys know these Hitachi's aren't doing a true squeeze. This means that they're displaying 33% LESS vertical resolution than a set that has a true 16x9 squeeze mode. Instead of a 1.78:1 movie being made up of 480 lines of vertical resolution, you're only going to get about 360 lines. That's a pretty big difference. Besides the lower resolution, there has to be down-conversions performed either by the DVD player or TV, which results in more artifacts. Hitachi's horizontal resolution has also been below the average between HD sets.
If you compared these Hitachi's to sets such as Sony, Pioneer, etc - which have true squeeze modes, and preferred the Hitachi, I don't know what to tell ya :) - That's your opinion. I've found the exact opposite to be true. Sets with a true squeeze are going to show you MORE detail, perioid. Now, the Hitachi can provide you with a comparibly smooth picture (by making their scanlines fatter), but it's simply not going to be as detailed. Not unless the TV's you're comparing it to were dropped off the back of a truck or something...
-Ryan

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Current Hitachi 4/3 HD-ready sets (UDX10B series) offer the choice of a true squeeze or the gray-bar mode for hdtv, but I think they still won't do a true squeeze for dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks