What's new

Why are dvd sales so popular? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Ray ---- how about cranking up the font size? I'm having to almost squint to read your posts.:)

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
When I go to the local chain rental store their selection is crappy!!! :angry: Their horror selection has about 50 titles total, all of which I already have. Their classic section is terrible. For some reason they didn't even get Equilibrium. They don't have the Walt Disney Treasures. Need I say more :thumbsdown:

WillKTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Cost
Availability
Technology (which ulitmately relates back to cost of a cheap, versatile player, unlike the common VHS player of the day)

I'm in firm agreement with the cost. In addition, I would also blame the Internet somewhat due to the simple fact that it would take quite a bit more effort 15 years ago to track down certain titles or even realize their existence, if it were not for the Internet.

This works in two ways which boil down to most vendors bumping and rubbing off on one another for the best cost out to the consumer for competition.

One third of my collection is of foreign denomination, mostly due to the fact that if not for the Internet, review sites, forum sites like this, I would have never had or would have had limited exposure to that availability, and in such quantity. Try finding that and for the cost 15 years ago and with VHS. Also, even before Netflix, these titles were not widely available in the States, with certain areas excluded, so that I have to buy the title in order of a viewing.

My observation is obviously just breaching the true subject matter of what truly made DVD purchasing take off, but if its easy to obtain, comes in a variety of choices (region/format), enjoyable and cost effective .. why not buy in? ..especially when some other entertainment venues are comparably priced when averaged: CD's - $15.00 Movie ticket - $10.00 Baseball game $17 (cheapest seats) ... etc, etc.

It's a hobby and fun and 15 years ago, I didn't make as much money as I do now :). Aside from that and really, out of all the people that I know, I own the most DVDs; around 325. And this is modest compared to some on these sites. I have somewhat of a feeling that browsing forum sites like these may make one feel as if justification is in order, like there is some problem for buying so many DVDs or something. Heck, it's one problem that I would rather have than some of the possibilities ...

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
VHS and LD were too costly to purchase more than a very few favorite titles. DVD is so much cheaper, offers much better PQ and sound, and often is loaded with extra features. The permanence of the media and also adds to the collectibility factor, along with the relatively small amount of storage space they take up.

The superior pq makes them much more watchable on bigscreen tvs. DVD on a typical widescreen set in progressive scan actuall looks better than the crappy presentation in most theaters, making it very tempting to skip a movie in the theaters and just wait for the dvd. It's been several years since I saw a film in a theater that didn't look and sound better at home.

2 people pay $8 each for movie tickets=$16 before popcorn or drinks and assuming they're childless and don't have to pay a sitter. Theater shows faded or grainy print, sub is not working or one or more back channels are dead, babies cry, cellphones ring, rude folks talk thru the whole movie, you only get to see it once and no extras except advertisements for local funeral homes and car dealers.

Most new releases of recent movies can be had for under $20 in first week of release from CC or BB. One can watch it at home with better pq and sound than in the theater, have whatever snacks or sodas or adult beverages, and even smoke a cigaret or two if one's so inclined. You can pause the movie for potty breaks and not miss anything. Add in the extra features and it's a no-brainer.

Steve Tack

Agent
I'd recommend Netflix over buying blind though. It's one thing if you've already seen the content and know what you're getting, but if you buy something blind and end up not liking it, there are some down sides in addition to the cost.

If you don't give the bad apples away or sell them (a hassle IMO), you've got to store them somewhere. You also have to wade through them when looking through your collection for something you DO like, or at least sort them into a "crap" area. There's always the risk that you could accidentally watch it again too. :)

Also, though, I think you're sending the wrong message to the TV and movie studios. Buying a title seems like a much more significant way of "voting with your dollars" compared to renting. Doesn't buying a crappy title just encourage a studio to spew out more of the same?

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The joy of "owning" movies and TV seasons uncut and in their original ratio.

The relative value of watching in the comfort of your favorite chair, couch, etc. and the bargain price of snacks and drinks; no $4.00 chips, $6.00 drinks and $8.00 admissions.

Renting does not provide the same sense of satisfaction for me.

Adam_R

Second Unit
Here's what I believe to be the biggest factor in DVD purchases as opposed to rental:

A quality product at an affordable price.

VHS sucked. Let's face it. The PQ was trash and the whole fast-forward/rewind was a chore. The tapes were big and clunky and they wore out too fast. VHS was junk.

Why am I referring to VHS in the past tense? Because it's over. HOORAY!

DVDs are usually great PQ and cost less than $20. I think it's a great value. Why not buy? Not to mention, I'd rather give BB or CC $20 than give Blockbuster a nickel.

Todd_Brown

Second Unit

That kinda is my feeling. To own a movie library gives me a great feeling. I consider myself a cinephile (although some of the titles I own may cause people to question that:D ), I love the fact that I can pick a film every night from multiple genres, the latest Hollywood Blockbuster to the cheesiest 50's Sci-Fi horror flick to the most admired classic, whatever my taste is that night. Blockbuster simply can't accomodate.
Todd

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

I do agree that the movie theater experience is not the greatest, the only reason I even go to the theater is for the big screen and if it is a movie that I just cannot wait to see on dvd. I enjoy it so much more at my home on dvd than in the theater.

I am definitely not complaining that people are buying so many dvd's quite the opposite, more dvd sales mean quicker releases and lower dvd prices! And I am definitely one who loves to go to Circuit City every Tuesday to pick up the new releases, I am just trying to get a handle on my dvd purchasing and purchasing just the movies I really and have to have. I mean I have dvds that I have purchased two years ago that still have not been watched. It is fun collecting though. :)

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
The biggest reason for me is the archival possibilities for DVD that VHS never offered. Better than broadcast picture quality and surround sound, and the fact that it will last a lifetime or more are reasons to OWN, rather than purchase. I don't buy every goofy DVD that comes out, but I do buy what I consider important films and TV shows. But my "important" collection has grown to over 500 movies, concerts, documentaries and television shows now. For all the praise being bestowed upon DVD in this thread, we'll all be talking about it the way we talk about VHS when HD-DVD has finally arrived.

In fact, I used to think my "Training Day" DVD looked awesome until I watched it on HBO in high definition. As soon as the movie was over, I popped the DVD to compare. I was sooooo disappointed that I haven't watched the DVD since. Even the 5.1 surround from the HD broadcast kicked my DVD's butt, which really surprised me.

But for now, I LOVE DVD.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member

You just nailed why I stopped buying DVD's and started thinning the collection to make way for HD-Disk (whatever it may be).

DeeF

Screenwriter
I hate to say it, but I think the real reason most of us buy DVDs is because they have been very carefully marketed to us to do just that. They are the right size, the right price, at the right time, and they look nice and last forever. Who wants a scratchy rental disk, when I can have that nice beautiful package for my very own?

The studios have figured out that they can make a lot of money on a really old film like Robin Hood with Errol Flynn -- almost complete profit, since they don't have to pay anybody to make the film, just spruce up the negative a bit.

Mark my words: in a few years, going to a movie in a movie theater will be an unusual experience -- the DVD will be the first time most people will see the movie.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Why do I buy DVDs?

Because it's the one art form I can own and have the very best of just waiting for me to enjoy it.

I can't afford a Renoir or a Leger, endless Broadway tickets, my own symphony, opera, or ballet company; but I can afford to have The Godfather, Casablanca, The Seven Samurai or anything else I want and have it be something other than a reproduction. I guess it's like women with buying shoes or buying books. You can have the best of something and have it be an original; as fresh and as satisfying as from the creator's hand itself.

I also do it because network TV sucks, I enjoy film as a cultural continuum and I like to be able to use film to reflect my mood or put me in one I'd like to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks