Why are dvd sales so popular?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jeff Adams, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Jeff Adams

Jeff Adams Screenwriter

I was just wondering why so many people buy dvd movies instead of just renting them? I am one of those who can't stop buying dvd movies. I look forward to every Tuesday. I have never had a huge vhs collection but my dvd movies are well over 600 and thats not including all the musical and sports specials I own. I do have to say that I am not buying nearly as many as I used. I was just wondering why is this so popular?

2. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

It's because they're shiny.

3. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

It's popular because the movies look and sound better than VHS, and they are packed with special features. Also, there is no degradation in quality like VHS. You can watch your favorite movie hundreds of times if you wish, and it will still look exactly the same as it did when you purchased it. One other cool thing about DVD is being able to pop it in and jump right to a scene without doing the whole fast forward/rewind thing for 10 minutes before you find what you want. That's a huge plus! Those are the reasons I buy them for anyway. Plus they just look cool lining the shelves in your living room/home theater.

VHS tapes are pitiful performers in all areas mentioned above, and even back when that was all that was available, everyone knew it. That's why hardly anyone had VHS collections that were as big as the average collection of DVDs today.

4. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Personally, I suspect they line each DVD with a thin invisible layer of CRACK, so that each time we open a case, we get a little whiff.

[​IMG]

5. DougFND

DougFND Second Unit

The cost is a huge factor. Very few VHS titles are priced-to-sell upon initial release, but all DVDs are.

I managed a video rental store about 13 years ago. With few exceptions, the wholesale cost of our new releases was about $66.00 each (priced-to-rent). Suggested retail was always $99.00 or more. Now, I can buy up to six or seven DVDs for that.

6. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

Their compactness and durability, superior video/sound and included extras (and decent price) really makes this format a more collectable one.

It's hard to explain, but because of all it offers - it feels more like a permanent collection where you can build a digital library of films you enjoy.

I would never purhcase VHS movies because it never felt permanent (and a few years into the format, I dispised the video quality - but that's another matter).

7. Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette Cinematographer

lol.

Reminds me of one of my all-time favorite movies quotes from So I Married an Axe Murderer:

Charlie Mackenzie: Dad, how can you hate "The Colonel"?

Stuart Mackenzie: Because he puts an addictive chemical in his chicken that makes ya crave it fortnightly, smartass!

I'm starting to think there is some truth in this theory, as I crave DVDs and fried chicken. [​IMG] Not exactly a healthy combination. [​IMG]

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

They do smell nice when opened. [​IMG]

9. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Well if it's a movie you've seen and want to see again, buying makes a lot of sense. The next time you go to rent it, it might not be available.

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Add that to the shrinking theater-to-video windows, and I think DVDs are hitting sell-through while the movie still feels new to consumers.

Also, they look and feel like CDs, which people in the US own, as opposed to VHS, which itself has enough little doors and moving parts to feel like a piece of equipment which you rent.

11. Scott Burke

Scott Burke Second Unit

Scott B.
    I buy them because sometimes it's about the same price. Especially if you pick up those bargin bin movies at Wal-mart. 5.50 sheesh what a deal!!

12. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

VHS is going to have a funeral soon anyway. RIP VHS and long live DVD!
    Laserdisc is still good for the films which are P&S on DVD but are WS on LD to buy. My local LD 'supplier [​IMG]' usually carries LD's anywhere from $2 to $10. Laserdisc COULD be considered a great inbetween! At least the A/V quality is better than VHS but never quite caught on to the casual buyer. Plus, the LD discs where more expensive to manufacture (that's a hell of alot of plastic...) and therefore cost more money to own.
    Just my two cents...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I think it's a combination of things and good price for what you get. Overall and usually you'll get very good audio/video quality, extras, easy storage, ownership value, and it never wears down like VHS. Typically for $14.99-$19.99 each at retail stores, how can you beat it?

14. Joshua_JO

Joshua_JO Agent

I agree with the earlier poster, its the cost. You couldn't buy VHS movies as cheaply as you can DVD's. Plus when I rent a movie I usually forget to take it back on time therefore adding to the cost. By the time I'm done I could have bought it and come out cheaper!

15. chris_clem

chris_clem Second Unit

Cost is the biggest factor here. For consumers weaned on buying(overpriced)CDs, having a movie for almost the same price is a great bargain! (And no one I know "rents" CDs...although many people do "share"[​IMG] )

Also, people are catching on to the fact that buying 2 movie tickets plus popcorn and drinks will likely cost you MORE than owning the damn thing on DVD. [​IMG]

16. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

And that just buys you the first viewing. Subsequent viewings, if you want them, will cost you again. Whereas DVD you can watch as many times as you please -- and with no degradation (cf. VHS).

Plus the added value of extras, if you're into them (I am).

Edit: Ironic. I just received the daily email from NY Times. See this:-

DVD's? I Don't Rent. I Own.
    By WILSON ROTHMAN
    With some DVD collectors building libraries of 1,000 titles or more, Web sites to help them manage their collections are starting to appear.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/26/te...26vide.html?th

Interesting read, though you need to be registered.

17. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

Popularity of DVD...

1. Cost, not only are they priced better than VHS in terms of retail, but with extra content and stuff like that you feel your getting even more of a value for your dollar.
    2. DVD is a compact form of media, much like a CD DVDs are portable. You can watch them anywhere, I've never been inclined to take my VHS tapes on a road trip.
    2A. The compactness of DVD means that you'll have more room to store them which makes you more likely to buy more. I've got shelves that store 2 times as many DVDs as they did VHS tapes, huge difference.
    3. DVD is the most durible form of media yet. Replay your VHS tape and experience degradation over time as many have stated, this doesn't happen with many DVD replays.
    4. Obviously better sound and picture quality.

As for why to buy and not rent.
    1. Renting is for a limited window, and I can only watch the movie within that limited window and if I want to watch it again I must rerent it which requires me to pay for it again.
    1A. Ownership allows me to watch the disc at my leasure, and this is even more important for TV box sets. If I rented all of my TV box sets and wanted to get them back on time, I'd pretty much be a complete shut in.

Those are pretty much my reasons, which I see are pretty much everyone elses reasons.

Plus, it can be fun to break the plastic on that brand new DVD to sniff the crack which I have just been informed is injected in to each release.

18. Ray_R

Ray_R Screenwriter

Right on, casey!

19. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

I'd add 1B to Casey's list-- two years from now, who says it's going to be on the rental shelves at all? But if you own it, there it is, ready to be played. [​IMG]

20. Brian Thibodeau

Brian Thibodeau Supporting Actor

My feet don't stick to the floor in my living room.

Butter and Pepsi go into my tummy instead.