What's new

Why are DVD-Rs only 4.3 GB? (1 Viewer)

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
So you can copy it, so long as you don't need to decrypt it first. And blank DVDs are sold with the CSS key-zone already burned.
Ah, now this is a new one to me. Most intriguing.

Upon looking at DVDs, they look like regular ISO files. In fact, I've found that the easiest way to create a project is to write the directory structure to the hard drive and then copy the directory to the DVD like you would copy a set of files to a CD-R. Granted, these are not encrypted, but even "commercial" DVDs look like a regular file structure then you view the disc as a data disc.

So, you're saying that the decryption key is actually hard-coded into the DVD media? By all means ... please explain. I was unaware of this.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Why, John, I'm surprised at you. I don't think I suggested that you shouldn't be free to think what you wanted to think. I was mearly illustrating that you were doing exactly what you had faulted others for doing.
You are free to think that this is okay! However- I don't think the issue of if you're doing it is open to much debate- as I think it has been explained in a clear manner which anyone can comprehend.
But again, you're free to justify anything you'd like, especially in your own head!
Enjoy!
-V

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Why, John, I'm surprised at you. I don't think I suggested that you shouldn't be free to think what you wanted to think. I was mearly illustrating that you were doing exactly what you had faulted others for doing.
Well, I guess that I deserved that since I neglected to use a smiley face in my post. **sigh** The 2D nature of postings bites me in the ass again. :rolleyes

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Well currently people are burning mpeg 4 movies to 2 cds and getting stereo sound and crappy video quality. With the release of media player corona and the increase in the popularity of dvd burners I'm sure the piracy community will just burn in this format and spread it over 2 dvd-rs and still get the same quality of video as the original dvd and retain the multichannel sound.

Or the piracy community would maybe just rip the vobs to their hard drive, then simply split the vobs between two dvd-rs and figure out a way to initialize the second disc in a stb dvd player.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
What strange and twisting turns this thread has taken.

Long answer short: when they say 4.7 GB they mean 4.7 billion bytes, which in computer measurements based on powers of two equals 4.37 GB. There's your conspiracy.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Long answer short: when they say 4.7 GB they mean 4.7 billion bytes, which in computer measurements based on powers of two equals 4.37 GB. There's your conspiracy.
Boy, this is such a riot. I think I'll go back to the Home Entertainment > Software forum where at least people know how to crack a good joke.
:rolleyes

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks