Why are chicken eggs brown in the UK - as opposed to white in the US?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drew Bethel, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Indulge me...

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    We can get brown and white eggs in the US, I see both of them being offered in all the grocery chains over here. It's the chicken I tell you, the chicken!!!
    [​IMG]
    Jay

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You get both over here too.

4. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

It all depends on the breed of chicken. Some lay white eggs, some lay brown eggs.

I've seen both in the stores here, though. I'm not enough of an egg expert to notice any difference in taste.

5. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Rob, I've only seen brown ones in Tescos and Waitrose...and I thought it was quite odd.

6. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I'm sure I've heard people getting eggs and bread confused - at least thats my guess as to why some people are convinced that the brown eggs are more healthy!

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Wait til all the organic growers in Vermont try to advertise Free Range Eggs!! Our eggs are allowed to roll all over the pen.

Jay "Eater of Free Range Lettuce" H

8. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

I raised Rhode Island Red chickens once. They lay brown eggs. So do many other breeds. Here is a thing to try. Find a chicken farmer and ask to buy some eggs gathered that morning (any color). Go home a cook 'em. You will be suprised at how bright the yellow is and how much more flavor they have over store bought eggs. I don't care how fresh they claim they are in the store...there is no comparision with a just-layed egg.

9. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Guiness.

10. andrew markworthy

Although you can get both white and brown eggs in both the USA and the UK, there are definite national preferences (incidentally, there is no intrinsic difference in quality between white and brown eggs). For some reason, Brit consumers predominantly prefer brown, US consumers white. Poultry farms stock hen breeds which produce brown or white eggs accordingly. The British preference for brown eggs is relatively recent, beginning in the 1960s.

The reason for the preference isn't known. It's just one of those things like driving on opposite sides of the road. You only need a slight initial preference in one direction or the other (which may be due to chance) gradually to build up an overwhelming bias.

11. Scott Page

Once you had black you never go...wait, I think that refers to something else.[​IMG]

12. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

One of the local TV ads I've heard has this jingle: "Brown eggs are local eggs and local eggs are fresh!" [​IMG]
    What I find interesting is for most of the year there are primarily brown eggs in the store. But for a month or so prior to Easter, you find mostly white eggs. This is due to the fact that you can create colorful decorated Easter eggs with the white ones, but not with the brown ones.
    I think brown chickens lay brown eggs and white chickens lay white eggs, but I could be wrong.
    So, which came first anyway? Oh, never mind! [​IMG]
    KJP

13. Scott Page

"I think brown chickens lay brown eggs and white chickens lay white eggs, but I could be wrong."

Nah, Kevin...not quite right. However, the common breed used for white eggs is white, while the most commonly used breeds for brown eggs are not white but red, brown, black, and other colors. However, there are white breeds that lay brown eggs and colored breeds that lay white eggs.

By the way, some breeds will give ya green or blue eggs. And many people don't realize that you don't need a male to get eggs, only if you want fertile eggs. "Virgin" hens also lay eggs.

14. Scott Page

Andrew,
    I'll switch to eating brown eggs if you'll switch to driving on the "correct" side of the road.[​IMG]

15. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

My mom and dad have chickens,ducks and geese.All of their chickens lay brown eggs.THey always have to many so I hardly ever have to buy them.Well,I like fried white eggs better but for baking brown are better.I think they are much richer.Now,if you want a good egg,try a goose or duck egg.Again,I perfer white chicken eggs for fried,but for baking..well,nothing comes close imho.

I have also seen various pastel colored chicken eggs.Not sure what breed(not even sure what mom and dad have) but if memory serves,but if memory serves,they are a tad on the smallish side.

16. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    We used to have a chicken, it was brown and if I remember it used to lay brown eggs. Although it would either step in it or eat it if we didn't find it soon enough. It used to run around our yard and did little holes for it to sit in... Until it died [​IMG] on Christmas Day no less... WWWWWAAaaaahhhhhhhhhh.... Christmas was no fun that year...
    [​IMG]
    Jay

17. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

The brown of the egg is from the substance melovalin, which is secreted by a chicken's sterapholin gland. Some varieties of chickens, because of their evolutionary patterns (related to exposure to varying intensities of sunlight), have lost the ability to secrete malovalin. In these birds, the eggs have evolved into the now-more-common white color. Other breeds, who have received less intense exposures to solar rays, continue to produce the brahnsteiger -or, brown - eggs.

By the way, the above is all bullshit.

Jon

18. Brad_W

Brad_W Screenwriter

This could also be associated with the Poop Scented Candles Thread.

White comes out the...

Brown comes out the...

19. andrew markworthy

Scott, there is a theory that the reason why Brits drive on the left is *because* practically everywhere else drives on the right. Actually, if there ever was a changeover, Eire (Southern Ireland) would have to swap over too, otherwise border junctions between Northern Ireland and Eire would be very interesting indeed.

20. Scott Page

Andrew,
    Well I guess it is to be expected, I mean your judges still wear those silly wigs. If THAT can't be explained, then who can explain British driving? [​IMG]