What's new

Why are boxed sets so expensive? (1 Viewer)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Costco also has the $200 MSRP 'Complete Monty Python's Flying Circus' for $100... packaged inside are 7 volumes of 2 Discs each (total of 14 discs)... originally the MSRP of each volume was originally $45 (I believe)... which works out to $315 MSRP vs. $200 MSRP for the set and finally 50% off at Costco for the final $100 set..
...now that is a good deal! (I am actually picking this up later this week...hopefully
biggrin.gif
)
------------------

robpic.jpg

My DVD Collection/ AIM: roblutter/ email:[email protected]
"Why, that's the biggest Kahn since Genghis" -Sealab 2021

I was referring to boxed movies. I wanted the Godfather set but its too expensive for me and I'll pass. I love collecting movies, but if we all rush and buy movies at premium prices, the studios will soon charge whatever they feel like. Case in point, CDs are still $12-$14 despite the court cases. Current DVD prices make CDs look like a bad deal. I fear once the masses are hooked on DVDs, the DVDs will cost a minimum of $20 and we will be limited to pan and scan.
At Amazon prices:
Godfather Set - 3 movies, $25 per movie
X-Files First Season, $10 per 2 episodes
Granted, the Godfather has lots of extras, but don't forget that lots of movies give lots of extras without inflating the price (The Matrix, Mission Impossible 2 etc.) The X-Files is a good deal, as well it should - its a TV series. I love the X-Files, but if it costed more, I'll pass. Now I buy most of my DVDs from Best Buy sales. End of rant.
BTW: I did spring for the Aliens boxed set and I love them :)

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
Just an FYI.. it may have been posted elsewhere, but to illumate readers of this thread, Sopranos Season 2 is going for under $60 (yes, under $60) at best buy.
Worst salespeople, but best buy.... in this case, yes.
And in most other situations... worst salespeople, mediore buy............ yes.
:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks