Why are boxed sets so expensive?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Campbell, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Dave Campbell

There is no incentive to buy a set if there is not much savings. Plus they don't fit on all racks. I see them gathering dust on store shelves.
    What's the deal? [​IMG]

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

What box sets are you referring to? There's box sets such as the X-Files and Sopranos and then there's box sets of dvds available singly. I suppose you're referring to the later.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

4. Jacob_St

Jacob_St Second Unit

If you are referring to TV show box sets then I have to disagree. The X-Files offers about 24 hours of entertainment (not including commentaries). I say the price is quite fair. The same goes for The Sopranos, The Simpsons, and on down the line.
    [Edited last by Jacob_St on November 06, 2001 at 09:21 PM]

5. Patrick Larkin

Patrick Larkin Screenwriter

Its a strange business. Its as strange as audio CDs.
    The Sopranos, Season 2 is going for $70. Its 4 discs. The Simpsons is 3 discs going for $30. The Twin Peaks set is going for $50 and its also 3 discs. The Godfather Collection is 5 discs and its $75. There is no rhyme or reason. I suppose they are just getting a bit extra where they can.
    As for audio CDs, I noticed a big rack of Pink Floyd's "The Wall" at Best Buy. They STILL get $32.99 for a double CD. Check out the price on The White Album too. The companies KNOW they can get it so they inflate the price for certain titles.
    [Edited last by Patrick Larkin on November 06, 2001 at 10:39 PM]

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

So, what you're saying is that different programs on different discs from different producers sell for different amounts?
    (This statement was delivered a mock-confused look on the speaker's face for the sarcastically-impaired)

7. Patrick Larkin

8. Kyle Milligan

Kyle Milligan Stunt Coordinator

Of course the Sopranos, Simpons, X-Files sets are a good value, and worthwhile... and if you don't like it, too bad. There aren't alternatives.
    But what I THINK Dave might've been getting at is those collections sets that don't really offer an incentive for buying all the film titles at once. The box set price is very close to what you'd pay if you bought all the titles individually.
    Fox has been pretty good about it to my recollection. It seems to me that if you bought the Die Hard or Alien sets, you would save as much as $20 or more depending where you bought it, and it'd be like getting one disc free. Some other studios don't seem as interested in reeling in the customers looking for a bit of a bargain.
    ------------------
    Kyle
    www.toldyouso.net

9. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

10. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

12. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I beleive the cost of the box sets is directly relative to the amount of the cost of the show for example. Sopranos: HBO directly pays to have that show produced and since it is a subscription network they have to recoup that money from later sales since they usually don't syndicate their shows out for $$$. But at $70 it is still a good bargain IMHO. X-Files is different, they are just packing a lot of episodes into one set which adds discs and the cost goes up for transfering the image onto the DVD. They might have had to go back and retouch some of the episodes which also adds to the cost. I think I've seen season 4 as low as $80 which would be a great bargain.

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Costco is also selling the Die Hard (remastered) 3-pack for $45, and I've been tempted to buy the whole set, though I think I just want the 1st Die Hard and pay a little more for just one DVD vs. 3 DVDs at a lower average price. It's this quandary that I had when I was at Costco yesterday. I wound up buying nothing, deciding to push the decision off another week.
    ------------------
    PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; LDs

14. Ruben Zamora

Ruben Zamora Stunt Coordinator

Get your box sets at WAL-Mart. I saw the Godfather Trilogy for 59.00$ when it came out.
    ------------------
    Ruben Zamora
    Onkyo TX-575X
    Pioneer DV-333

15. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Box sets are very suvbjective. Here is a list of box sets that I bought:
    James Bond set vol 1
    James Bond set vol 2
    James Bond set vol 3
    Alien Box set
    Die Hard Box (remastered)
    Peanuts holiday box
    Planet of the apes box
    Sherlock Holmes box (Basil Rathbone)
    Superman Box
    Stanley Kubrick box (rev. 2)
    all of them I bought at Costco at great discounts, most were 15% off to 30% of retail. otherwise I would not buy them because they are too expensive. I would have bought Monty Python ($100.00), If I didn't buy each 2-pack.

16. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Back to the original post:

17. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Dave, it's obvious that you never were a laserdisc collector, because if you were, you would plop down 70 bucks on a dvd set with 5 or more discs without even breaking a sweat!
    Try paying 200 bucks or sometimes more, on a box set of the original 'Star Wars' trilogy on LD, now THAT'S expensive!
    Dvd box sets are pocket change in comparison with some of those!
    ------------------
    To the men and women of the N.Y. police and fire department
    God bless you.
    To the victims and their families
    God keep you.
    To the dirtbags who caused all this
    God help you!!!

18. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Figuring it in cost per hour is much more useful than cost per disc. The Sopranos box is four discs, but with thirteen hours plus extras. The Godfather box is five discs with less tha ten hours plus extras. So, the Sopranos box is actually a better deal even though it's less discs for the same price.
    Of course, that's assuming you can quantify how much the Godfather is "worth" on a per-hour basis, which to me is as silly as pricing a smile.
    Ryan

19. Patrick Larkin

20. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

quote: Exactly. Thats why iot makes more sense to price the media. Its the reason why a CD store can charge $13.99 for Abbey Road and the same price for a Vanilla Ice CD.[/quote]
    Well, I think per-disc makes less sense than per-hour, though either is a poor indicator of *artistic* merit.
    After all, you can get "budget" CDs for five bucks a pop, all the way up to "audiophile" pressings for nearly thirty dollars. And more to the point, CD box set prices are all over the map, anywhere from under ten dollars per disc to over twenty.
    In any case the content provider (oooh, how new media!) is charging you based on how much content you're getting (and the amount of royalties they're paying), not how many plastic discs are in the package. If they could compress a season of the Sopranos onto one disc, they'd still charge $70 for it.
    Same reason why a 3-CD box of anonymous cover versions of 40-year-old songs costs $10.
    Ryan
    [Edited last by Ryan Spaight on November 07, 2001 at 01:43 PM]