1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

why are amps so stinking expensive?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by tom_furman, Aug 13, 2001.

1. tom_furman

tom_furman Stunt Coordinator

i want one..or two [​IMG] but the prices of a decent amp are beyond my 22yr old comprehension....wahhhh...
    i'd like 2 - 3 channel amps for an eventual 6.1 setup...any good amps for around $400-500?
    My Home Theater:
    Sony STR-DB840 Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver
    Toshiba SD2200 DVD Player
    AudioSource SW5 12" 150 Watt Subwoofer
    8 Aura 25 Watt Bass Shakers
    Sony DE-375 Receiver
    HTD Level III Speakers
    [Edited last by tom_furman on August 13, 2001 at 03:15 PM]

2. Steve T

Steve T Stunt Coordinator

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

NAD has a reputation for making outstanding gear at their price point. I'm sure the 270 is no exception. Check NAD's website ( http://www.nadelectronics.com I know that the C370, which is an integrated amp using the C270's power amp section, is a "Best Buy" or "Recommended Component" on more than one magazine's list.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

economies of scale...the more you can make and sell the cheaper they can be made. now are you looking for just amps...integrated amps...you'll find as you 'separate' your components your overall costs will rise.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Tom- If you're not adverse to this, look for used on ebay, audiogon, hificlassics, etc.
    I got 2 Acurus 200x3's for about $600 each. They were $1500 each brand new!
    B&K, Parasound, ATI, Rotel, etc.
    ------------------

6. Samuel Des

Samuel Des Supporting Actor

7. Nathan Ivey

Nathan Ivey Auditioning

Get the Acurus I've owned several of there amps and IMO they are the best for the money.

8. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Only problem with Acurus is that the Mondial (parent company of Acurus and Aragon) has been bought out by Klipsch. It has been reported that Acurus will be phased out so customer service may be a ??? in the future (but, in general, amps are dependable).
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]

9. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

I am in the same sitch as you. I'm a 23 year old college student whose been chiping away at my system (see little house) for the last 2 years. Right now I am looking at investing in a 2 channel amp to enchance music reproduction. I went to my dealer and he recommended the NAD C270, which replaced the NAD 216thx. I have yet to try it out...waiting till after school starts again and I have a bit of money saved up (tuition can be a biznitch).
    Marantz monoblocs are decent as well, and not overly expensive.
    I haven't looked at Audiogon yet, but ebay is out with me cause I find it to be a pain to find stuff for Canadians.
    Good luck on you search for an amp.
    ------------------
    Oops, I dropped my eardrums.
    Could you pick them up for me?

10. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

As far as Acurus goes, yes the Acurus line is being discontinued but the products will be supported regardless. On the new Mondial website they have a forum that a lot of Acurus owners were voicing their opinions and concerns about the Acurus line and they were continuously reassured that they will still support the products that they own. In addition, I just bought an Acurus 100x3 for $350.00 delivered for the fronts. I normally would not buy this much amplification to go with my 2-channel amp I have already but I'm running large speakers all around at this moment.
    ------------------
    What if it gets no better than this!?!

11. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

I'm running a stack of 4 Adcom 545ii 100W (150W into 4 ohms) stereo power amplifiers. I bought the first brand new for $450 (MSRP was $600, although Adcom had just introduced their FET 2-channel amps (the home theater components still use bipolar output stages) so I got a deal) because I liked it more than the Rotel I auditioned for 2-channel use, the rest for $200, $225, and $262.50 each used off Ebay and Audiogon.
    After my BFD, the amplifiers are the least expensive part of my setup.

12. tom_furman

to those who asked about the HTD speakers...i've only had them for like 5 days but i already like them. i got an incredible deal too...the bookshelves were b-stock and were said to have cosmetic damage..after searching all over i really cant find what was wrong (the guy said he couldnt find anything either!) but regardless they're cheaper and carry the same warranty, the center was on backroder so they give you you a decent size discount for that too, and,the towers are IMMENSE almost too big but very impressive looking. next week im planning on buying another set of towers to sue for my surrounds and saving the bookshelves for furture 6.1 and 7.1 setups.
    dont forget about their 30 say return policy...you cant go wrong!

13. mctague

mctague Stunt Coordinator

Amps & speakers seem to last the longest, so I would suggest saving until you can afford what you really want. And the previously mentioned used market is a good idea for the same reason: amps should last.

14. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

The nOrh Le Amps are still going for $195 each up until they ship on the 18th. The website is www.norh.com.

15. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I also recommend going the used route. I don't care for EBay too much because people usually overpay, but you can find some decent deals there. My recommendation is to check out Audiogon. I've found some great deals there and the people selling stuff there usually take great care of their stuff.

16. tom_furman

BRYAN...i couldnt find anything about those amps on their page? where did u see the price?

17. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

We have sold over 200 Le Amps. Shipping will take place toward the end of June. We will have photos here about the second week of June. We will keep the special pricing available until we ship. The introductory price is $195.00. This offer is availble only to the United States as we are shipping Le Amps by boat to the US. From there, they will be shipped by ground. The customer will pay a $10 handling fee and the cost of ground shipping inside the US. We will ship units by air to any location provided the customer picks up the shipping charges.
    We will have details posted on Le Amp, including detailed test results in the next couple of weeks.
    You can find more details of the Le Amp in the July news.

18. tom_furman

hum..theres not too much info in the july news either...just that it has 50w rms? is that correct?
    i'd like some specs b4 i purchase!
    tom

19. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Le Amp is an amazing performer by any standard. Le Amp is built more like a 200 watt amplifier than a 100 watt amplifier. It has a 400 V/A transformer. The wiring can sustain 600 amps. The bridged rectifiers are rated at 40 amps. The heat sinking keeps the amplifier running cool even when being pushed hard. The amplifier will handle peaks of 200 watts. It will drive 160 watts into 2 ohms. Le Amp will be properly grounded and protected from DC offset. The frequency response is 5 Hz to 200,000 Hz. The amplifier only shows .023% THD + noise at 45 watts (while hitting peaks well over 100 watts). The distortion only rises slightly up until about 80 watts (hitting peaks of 200 watts).
    You can also email Michael Barnes for more information if you need to.

20. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

From nORH's website:
    At what frequency or frequencies? More info would be useful.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]