What's new

Why are 3D televisions so much more expensive? (1 Viewer)

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I have been wanting to get a 55" or 60" inch tv for some time. Because of some classic 3D titles that I would like to own, I would like to get a 3D tv. What bothers me is that 3D tvs continue to be about $300 or more above comparable non3D tvs. Why is that? It seems that Smart tv technology has become ubiquitous, but not so with 3D. Moreover, I don't think that the refresh rate required for 3D explains the price difference, as one can find high refresh rate non3D tvs at much lower prices. Does anyone know why this is? Does anyone think it will change soon? Is there a lower price way to deal with this issue? Thanks!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Because they tend to put the 3d tech in only for their higher end panels. You wouldnt want 3d on low end panels and only enthusiasts are willing to pay extra for 3D anyway.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Refresh rate is only one factor in a 3D TV. If it's passive 3D, a polarized screen is placed over the panel, adding to cost. Any 3D panel will have some form of post-processing involved, which also adds to cost. Think of brightness adjustment (automatic in some models to account for light loss), 2D-3D conversion, 3D effect adjustment (adjustment to parallax, which moves the image away/toward you as well as increasing/decreasing depth. Relying on refresh rate alone is an oversimplification of the process.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks