1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Why are 3D televisions so much more expensive?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by JoeDoakes, Jul 10, 2014.

1. JoeDoakes

JoeDoakes Cinematographer
    Supporter

Ray
    I have been wanting to get a 55" or 60" inch tv for some time. Because of some classic 3D titles that I would like to own, I would like to get a 3D tv. What bothers me is that 3D tvs continue to be about $300 or more above comparable non3D tvs. Why is that? It seems that Smart tv technology has become ubiquitous, but not so with 3D. Moreover, I don't think that the refresh rate required for 3D explains the price difference, as one can find high refresh rate non3D tvs at much lower prices. Does anyone know why this is? Does anyone think it will change soon? Is there a lower price way to deal with this issue? Thanks!

2. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Because they tend to put the 3d tech in only for their higher end panels. You wouldnt want 3d on low end panels and only enthusiasts are willing to pay extra for 3D anyway.

Stephen_J_H likes this.
  3. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie
    Supporter

Stephen J. Hill
    Refresh rate is only one factor in a 3D TV. If it's passive 3D, a polarized screen is placed over the panel, adding to cost. Any 3D panel will have some form of post-processing involved, which also adds to cost. Think of brightness adjustment (automatic in some models to account for light loss), 2D-3D conversion, 3D effect adjustment (adjustment to parallax, which moves the image away/toward you as well as increasing/decreasing depth. Relying on refresh rate alone is an oversimplification of the process.