What's new

Why am I such a cheapo sometimes?... (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
That also depends on the type of store. Often I'll pay more for an item because I just don't trust the way the "Cheap" store handles their merchandise.

Kinda like knowing the cheaper gas station uses rusty pipes as opposed to the station across the street. That 10 cents isn't going to persuade me if I know something bad might happen to my car.

Or better yet, how about this example: A big fat man is selling hot dogs for $1, but the really hot woman (right next to him) is selling them in a bikini for $2. I don't know about you, but I'd be willing to spend $2 to buy one from her. ;)

but seriously, I can totally understand why people would buy from Suncoast. The attractiveness of the store is exactly the same as the attractiveness of the hot dog seller (in my above example).

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. You think Suncoast is a "prettier" or more attractive store than Target or Best Buy? How so? Every Suncoast I've been in is generally identical to Best Buy/Target in terms of laying out their products, and usually they're even more cluttered...Also, I rarely see people "on the floor" helping customers. I think you get a much more attractive experience at a Target or a Best Buy, AND the product is cheaper.

Also, just to cover all your points, I see no reason to think that Best Buy or Target handles their products any worse than Suncoast does. (your "rusted pipes" theory...)

mylan

Screenwriter
Oh yeah, i'd end up paying more in order to deal with Hi Fi Buys (Tweeter) instead of a big box retailer like CC or BB but my wife always said I would drive ten miles to save a buck with other things where quality remains consistent like DVD's, CD's, books, etc. I usually end up buying enough so that the savings adds up or i'll end up buying nothing, sometimes the thrill of the chase is better than the catch. This method saves money too, after awhile, you realize that you really didn't need it as bad as you thought.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Again, that was just an example, not fact. It was a generalization as to why someone would shop one place (that was more expensive) over another. I can bring up a lot of examples as to why I buy a more expensive product elsewhere, due to the way a particular store looks, runs, treats it's employees, etc. etc.

Ever read the Wal-Mart threads where everyone says that they'd rather pay more at a mom and pop store than to support Wal-Mart ;) This is the same thing.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Ambiance IS physical. What you’re really talking about is marketing. Sometimes it works (as with Bose), other times it doesn’t (I believe Planet Hollywood declared bankruptcy, probably due to the fact that the food was mediocre. Restaurants don’t live on ambiance alone). Personally, I pay little attention to marketing (designer jeans are another example), and concentrate on whether it’s something I value (as opposed to manufactured perception).

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor

I guess it might be a "cooler" store to some, but I guess personally that doesn't come close to justifying what might be as much as $5 more dollars on a single DVD purchase. Then again, I can spend hours inside of a Best Buy just wandering around, so I guess I'm a fan of their ambiance more. To each his own! :)

I can better understand your food example, as you spend quality time in a restaurant. However, when enjoying a DVD, the time spent enjoying the product is done in my own home, so its like comparing apples to oranges. While I would agree that I spend more money to eat at a trendy restaurant, I won't do it for a tactile product, like a DVD.

(Although, like someone else mentioned, restaurants cannot live on atmosphere alone.....)

To be honest with you, I also hadn't taken into account the factors of "beating mom and pop" or how they treat their employees. While I'm a humanitarian, and I can support places that don't have sweatshops and stuff, I don't see a real point behind boycotting stores like wal-mart. Look, my purchase or non purchase isn't gonna bankrupt them, so if i can personally save some money there, I'm gonna do it. It's a capitalist world...bad things can happen I guess.

(^in regards to that though, thats really a WHOLE different debate that I'd rather not get into .. I just touched on it cause you briefly did...)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
But that again goes back to what people feel their money is worth. I don't understand why I have to constantly find the cheapest deals. It's all about what stores you want to support.

I buy my stuff according to which stores I want to give my business to. Just like online, I can probably get cheaper DVD's elsewhere, but I have always gone through Amazon, solely based on the fact that they are the ones I want to give my money to.

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor

Totally understandable, and I'm not trying to argue with you at all. By all means support who you wanna support .. to be honest I'm a college student, so if I want a new DVD, I'm gonna go where-ever I can get the best deal...I guess thats what's most important to me regarding my purchases. Like I said, to each his own... :)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I don’t “support” a store, or “give” them anything. I trade with whatever merchant gives me what I think is the best value. Businesses exist to serve customers, not vice versa ( a point missed all too often by those who would rather talk about how policies benefit certain businesses than how they affect consumers).

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
How do you define value though? That really is the crux. It's not the same thing for each of us. Regardless of value I don't want to spend my money supporting a place(by spending money there) for their craptacular business practices(walmart is a good example).

That depends on whether you are truly driving a mile to save a few bucks or shopping prior to leaving your house and driving straight to the place that has the lowest price. Just price shopping around town driving or driving a mile to say .2 a gallon is CHEAP and will cost you more money than you think. That isn't too smart.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
No problem, and sorry to be so vocal here, but I just get vocal because I don't think a lot of people realize what they are saying...I have always been one that frequents (what most consider) over priced stores (i.e. Tweeter, Starbucks, Suncoast, etc. etc.)...that's my choice, but people feel that it's ok to make comments about the people who go to these places, like it's ok..

Mike, you said: "It amazes me that places like Suncoast, and Virgin Records stores are still in business. I mean seriously amazes me. Not only are they around, but everytime I go in one, its busy. I mean it's not like Target and Best Buy advertise people...c'mon now.."

I'm just saying that not everyone is a 'thrifty' shopper and it shouldn't be so amazing that people aren't as concerned about savings as others. Your comment makes it sound like we're idiots for shopping there and that's just as bad as me saying something like: I can't believe the cheap people that go to such lengths to save a few pennys...what, are you that poor? come on, instead of buying those cigarettes or donuts, try saving some money...

See how that sounds?

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor

Understandable, and I apologize for my tone. All I meant was that personally, to me, Suncoast or Virgin Records offer nothing to me to compensate for their higher prices. (Btw that was a mistype also, I meant to say "its not like Target and Best Buy don't advertise...). Anyways, I'm sorry I offended you, I didn't mean to do that at all .. I was just saying that personally they don't offer me anything, and I guess it was shallow minded of me to assume that because they didn't offer anything to me, they didn't offer anything to anyone else....

I apologize....hopefully we can all agree to disagree on these matters!

And haha...hey...Just cause I have tuition bills (not cigs or donuts, mind you!) and what not doesn't mean I don't wanna enjoy HD-DVDs - I just gotta do it as cheap as possible!

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Always look at "The Big Picture" before jumping on a "Bargain". Last year I went to a Convention in Santa Claus, Indiana. For those of you in Rio Linda, this town is located about halfway between Evansville, Indiana and Louisville, Kentucky. Many People who went to this convention flew into Louisville. The Cheapest Airfare from Florida to there was $159.00. I flew into Evansville, the Airfare set me back $189.00. Why did I choose the higher Airfare? When I got to Santa Claus I was asked the same question. My answer had a lot of them moaning. When I checked the airfare I also checked the Rental Car Rates. The cheapest Car Rentals in Louisville were going for $195.00 a week. I paid $119.00 for a week in Evansville! You do the Math! :)

I also snagged a FREE Airline Ticket, but that's another story! :D

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
No prob. I do tend to get animated in these conversations, but that's because I hear it a lot. It blows my mind that people have no problems saying (to me) "Why do you go to Starbucks? They're so expensive" and think nothing of it. Like, they think that because I can afford it, that their words don't affect me. Like somehow they think that since I have more money than them, that means they can say these things to me and I am just supposed to take it.

Again, sorry for the vocalization on the matter. It's just a raw nerve on my part.

Regulus, that's a great story. I get that a lot too. It always seems like I am buying the more expensive item and someone (usually a family member) will say to me "Why not get this one, it's cheaper and practically does the same thing." - I'm always amazed in a few months when they are bitching about theirs because it doesn't do something that mine does, or it's broken and mine isn't.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You're not "giving" anything. You're conducting an exchange. Their goods/services for your money. It would be nonsensical to hand out cash to a business just to help them "survive" (paying 50 bucks for a cup of coffee to help Starbucks "survive" is not something people would rationally do). You pay money to a business for a good/service you think is worth the price charged. It's the good/service that's important, not the business. They stay in business because of their ability to provide the good/service.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
or drive the other guy out of business by their poor business tactics. They shouldn't be rewarded for that. Giving them your business does exactly that.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The consumer should decide what poor business practices are, not other businesses.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

That's exactly what a lot of people do by 'giving' their business to one company over another.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks