What's new

Why am I seeing a red Halo on the left edges of people/objects in Grease? (1 Viewer)

Cris K

Agent
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I could not decide if this was better to post here or in the equipment forum.

I have a Sony Grand Wega 60" (not calibrated, just out of the box) and have been noticing an annoying red halo around the left edges some high contrast areas lately. It is in "normal" picture mode, but does not go away in pro mild or vivid.

I see it in "Grease" most prevelently, but I also saw it in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas Criterion and Daredevil. I also see the dim white/grey halo on the right side of some of the same things, which I assume is "edge enhancment."

I have a Sony 7000 player and can see it in both composite out and also component out. I do not have an Svideo cable to try that option. I am also using CHEAP cables, but since I see it in composite, I am not sure that that is the entire problem.

SO: Has anyone else seen this? I did not see any mention of it in Ronald's review so I am wondering if it could be something else...

edit:here are some crummy pics, but even in these you can see it!

thanks!

-cris

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
Cris, Chad is right. Sounds like you need to adjust your convergence. If your brave enough, you should be able to do a search on some of the other forums and find instuctions on how to enter the service menu and adjust. If not, you may want to schedule an ISF tech to do it.

Chris

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Chris, I have the EXACT same problem that you do with my Sony 700P DVD player. I'm thinking that maybe it's our Sony DVD players.

and have been noticing an annoying red halo around the left edges some high contrast areas lately
I don't see this on my set. But I want to mention that I fixed my convergence and it doesn't help in the slightest.

Cris K

Agent
Thanks, Mitch.

I called Sony today, and even though I told them ALL of the trouble shooting that I had done, they still walked me through their innane script.

Are you watching it on Sattelite? Yes, I also see it on DVD and VHS, composite or component...

Can you change the channel? Yes it's still there...

Do you have a DVD player? Yes, like I said I see it on component and also on the composite input, and on multiple DVDs.

Is the DVD player connected directly to the TV? Yes, and I also see it through the composite input which goes through the reciever...

Can you put in a different disk?

ARGH! you get the picture... The kicker is that I see this stupid halo now even in the MENU. I just noticed this last night.

Oh well, I guess it's the TV. Sorry about posting in the wrong forum. At least it is still under warrantee. The payments are killing me though. I wish it would work correctly. Hopefully the service call will not cost anything.

Thanks for the help everyone.

-cris

Cris K

Agent
There is a serviceman coming tomorrow! Hopefully it will be something he can fix fairly easily.

I know it looks small in those pics but it is at least the width of my finger and itis very annoying!

Thanks again for the advice.

-cris

Cris K

Agent
Maybe! It would be nice if it were that easy, but it does not explain why I can still see it around text boxes when I have a neutral backgound, like a blue screen, and just the TV's setup menu on screen.

I thought maybe it was the recent discs I had been watching, but it seems more and more like a recent "problem" that has developed with the set somehow.

crossing my fingers for tomorrow...

-cris

Christopher a

Stunt Coordinator
Let me know how it works out. Looking at those pictures now, it doesn't look like convergence. I'd probably have to see it in person to tell you for sure.

Chris

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm...it may still be possible that cable interference is a culprit, even though you see it with menu items. When the TV superimposes a menu item onto the screen, it may still be using the signal timing from the video output of the DVD player. If this timing is corrupt, it will affect your menu item display. At least it seems that way on some analog TVs...for example, if you change the channel to a nonexistant station (the white static), you'll notice that the TV text is corrupt - like when you press MUTE and the MUTE text becomes corrupt and wavy.

Of course, this likely doesn't happen to all TVs - I doubt it is a problem on digital TVs and projectors.

You got a Grand Wega...so um...that's probably not the problem. Oops. :D

My LCD projector would have a similar problem as yours if I don't have the video output timings on my HTPC set just perfectly, however. Hmmm.

What kind of cables are you using for component? I hope it isn't those yellow/red/white cables - they suck!

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Now that I've just seen the pictures, I can honestly say that even though my set does almost the exact same thing, it's not nearly as bas as that! Those halos are HUGE on my tiny 14" computer monitor....I can't imagine just how big they would look on my 65" Widescreen TV. When I said that I saw the same thing, I do, but the halos are MUCH thinner than the ones you're seeing. I checked both shots on my Grease DVD, and sure enough, it's at the same places as you're seeing, but like I said, they are VERY thin.

I told you that I thought it might be our DVD players, but now I'm not so sure. I was watching cable TV, and I noticed the EXACT same thing. In fact, the lines were much thicker than normal on cable than they were on my DVD player. They pictures that you displayed, is how my cable looks. I see these halos in all my DVD menus as well.

I don't know what it could be. I have convergence just about perfect, so I have no clue.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
It's quite simple: You're watching Grease in Fullscreen. Get the WS version, and all will be well :D

Cris K

Agent
It's quite simple: You're watching Grease in Fullscreen. Get the WS version, and all will be well
D'oh! I actually took these shots from the widescreenm but just cropped out the center portion to save bandwidth! I should have known somone would call me on the non OAR screenshots :)

The good news is: PROBLEM SOLVED!

Apparantly I could have figured it out myself if I had read page 81 in the manual a little closer. I wish it was in the "troubleshooting" section as well, though.

Anyway, the Sony rep neglected to tell me this in the Q&A that we went through on the phone, but there is actually a setting in the user set-up menu that addresses this very problem!

It is called "Image Revision". It comes from the factory on "Auto" which is supposed to increment up to the higher settings after a certain number of hours to account for the aging-in of the LED panels. The service man said I just got there sooner (been watching too much I guess!) so the TV did not catch up fast enough.

Anyway, switching Image revision from 1 to 3 ELIMINATED the ghost and it is perfectly repeatable if I go back to the lower settings manually.

Thanks to everyone for the support and helping me determine that I needed to call Sony about it :)

If the mods want to move this to the Equipment forum so that it may be of use to someone else someday, I do not mind at all.

Thanks again everyone.

-cris

P.S. Mitch, I do not recall if you said you had the same or a similar TV, so maybe this will fix it for you too?? I still see the faint grey halo that you mentioned you see from your player, so in all likelyhood you may be right about that other issue.

Also- is there a way that I can change the title of the thread to more closely resemble the actual problem so it comes up in searches about the Sony GW Tvs? I see where I can edit the post, but not the title...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks