Why am I not getting as much bass while watching tv broadcasts?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Lando, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Matt Lando

Matt Lando Agent

Sorry for the newbie question here. I recently put together a budget home theater system consisting of a Yamaha HTR-5490 receiver, the JBL NSP-1 5 speaker package and a JBL PB-10 subwoofer. My tv is a Toshiba 50H81 widescreen and my DVD player is a Panasonic A120. I am using a digital coaxial cable to connect the DVD player to the receiver and I'm using a Monster (right/left) set of stereo cables to connect the output of my tv to my receiver when watching regular tv.

The receiver is setup so that all speakers are "small" and LFE plays through "subwoofer only."

Now, DVD's sound great and the sub really slams. But when I'm watching tv, it seems I have a lack of bass. I don't know if I have a setting wrong or if it's just not hooked up right. Below are a few things I think may have something to do with it. Please let me know what you think the problem is.

1. My sub has a switch on the back to toggle between LFE mode and the other mode which utilizes the adjustable crossover. So far I've only been using LFE mode. Am I supposed to use the other mode when watching TV broadcasts?

2. Could it be a problem related to the signal output from my tv? I have a small stereo tv in my bedroom connected to a minisystem and I notice that when I run the audio outputs from the VCR to the minisystem it sounds better than when I run them from the back of my tv. I have no idea why this is, since it's a stereo tv, but I can tell you this is a fact.

That's all I can think of right now. Please help point me in the right direction. Thanks ahead of time.

2. Greg_W

Greg_W Stunt Coordinator

The problem I beleive is with the TV broadcasts. I've heard that the lower and upper frequencies of TV sound is often rolled off to save bandwidth and thus results in less bass (and treble),but I could be mistaken.

:b

Greg

3. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I think it also has to do with mono compatibility, don't forget the overwhelming majority are still stuck in mono land

4. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like good ol analog cable TV to me. Same thing here. [​IMG]

5. RandyRush

RandyRush Stunt Coordinator

Don't think you will ever get the same full sound with tv that you get with dvd; you have cable? sat? if sat., it should be better than what you are describing.

6. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

I dont know..I have a yammie 795a and dishnetwork and I get great bass on tv stuff...I get great bass on stuff that has bass... that is

7. Matt Lando

Matt Lando Agent

I have cable tv. And I do not have the new digital IO service. Is that why?

Still I seem to get somewhat of a lower tone when I use my internal tv speakers, so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with my sub being in LFE mode. Perhaps by taking it out of LFE and crossing it over at a higher frequency than 90hz I might hear more impact for tv?

8. Jason Wolters

Jason Wolters Stunt Coordinator

I don't have an LFE switch on my sub but I will assume that it basically just turns off the cross over. It should still get the low bass frequencies either way. I expect you will find that the problem lies in the source, namely crappy cable TV.
    I have DSS too. It has better audio than cable. Still you aren't going to be in the ballpark with Dolby Digital. I have PLII on my receiver. This don't do a lot for the bass on cable TV but it does wonders for the seperation on the rears. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    My wife is watching the Young and the Restless via VCR right now, i keep thinking.....Man that sounds good for cable TV. Wish all of my channels sounded as good as CBS.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Matt,

I have an RTA hooked up line-level to my system, so I can “see” the frequency response of all programming, from DVDs to TV to CDs.

I assure you, the problem is the TV programming. Very seldom do I see a program with anything movie-lovers would call “real bass.”

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

10. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

Matt,

I'm not sure about your TV specifically, but many HiFi VCRs actually have a better amplifier in them than televisions. You may try running your sound FROM the VCR instead of the TV. On my living room TV it helps tremendously...not so much in the HT, because my Mits has a decent amp on the outputs.

Give it a shot, if it doesn't help...we all can sympathize. It's the same thing everywhere with analog cable.

Jeremy

11. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jeremy,

I assure you the problem is not analog or digital cable. I have an OTA antenna as well as analog cable. There is no difference between the same program on either.

The best thing to do is just turn up the bass control or (even better) the sub level for TV programs. I have an in-line remote controller for my sub, so it’s a piece of cake.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt