What's new

Why am I getting a scrambled picture for Fable? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I have returned the game twice for this problem. I am getting a scrambled picture. I don't know what is causing this. It is the only game that has done this on my system.
I have a 64 inch widescreen hdtv. I have the XBOX set to 480p and 1080i in widescreen format. I am also using a Pelican component video switcher. Any suggestions? I really want to play this game!

James T

Screenwriter
Scrambled how? I know if you switch to PAL setting, you get a scrambled look because it's Euro setting.

But this is a weird question.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Jeff,

I have the same game and settings, but not the Pelican component video switcher. Although it seems like a long shot, try removing the switcher. If the problem continues, I'd blame the Xbox. :frowning:

Martin.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Well guys, I just found out why I am having this problem. I called Gamestop and they read me an email from Microsoft that Fable might not play on HDTV systems using the HDTV video cables. You have to use Svideo or composite. They said that it might work with some HDTV cables. Okay. Whatever. How can something like this happen? And to top it all off, the clerk that I talked to said he won't be able to give me a refund because the game is not defective! Well a game that promotes 480p hdtv right on the back of the cover is defective if you ask me. That is totally unacceptable. I am going to the store today after I get off work.

Dan B

Screenwriter
There is a workaround for this game, I'll see if I can find the link...
Here's the info:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I just posted this about Fable. I have picked up two copies of this game and neither one has worked. I called Gamestop where I purchased it at and they read me an e-mail that they just got from Microsoft. It reads something like this,

"We are aware of the game not being able to play on some HDTV systems Hooked up with the HDTV component cables. You must switch your cables to S Video or composite in order to play the game. Sorry for any inconvenience."

What kind of garbage is this???? This is a MAJOR problem. I mean they advertise right on the back of the box that the game is 480p HDTV.

I have had my XBOX for only 40 days and am real close to returning it for a refund. I already had to return one XBOX due to it dying 30 days after I bought it and now this problem. I have had my PS2 for 3 years and NEVER had any problems at all with it.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Here's another post at the Xbox forums which makes it a little more clear & simple:

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Thank you for all the responses. Does anyone know why or how this happened? Is Microsoft going to send out new editions of Fable with the problem fixed?

I'm sorry but no game is worth having to go through all of that to get it to work right. I refuse to give my money to a company until they get it right. I will be returning my copy of Fable today and wait till they fix the problem. Do you know if there are any other games that might have this problem?

Dan B

Screenwriter
I think the problem is limited to a very small number of people with certain TVs. I haven't heard anything about a new edition.

I'm not aware of any other games with this problem, although one of EA's James Bond games has an issue where you need to turn off 1080i in the dashboard setting in order for 480p to work.

Is your dashboard in progressive scan mode yet? If it is, all you need to do is turn on the Xbox with the eject button first & Fable should work just fine...not a big hassle if it works.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
This sounds like a horrible problem but I don't have the game to test it out. Best advice is either buy the S-Video pack (bleh, you shouldn't have to!) if you really like this game or return it for store credit for Halo 2.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Wow, I've had my xbox since it came out and haven't had any problems. That's messed up, I'd be really pissed in your situation. 480i on a big rptv look terrible.

BrianS

Stunt Coordinator
I have Fable coming in a trade in the next couple of days so I will check this out since I have my Xbox hooked up thru component.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
I certainly doesn't hit all HDTV users... the game plays fine one mine. There are some hacks for getting around the problem, if you really want to play Fable.

Martin.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
No problem with mine either. I have a full HD setup and it plays flawlessly.

Also, I've had an Xbox since launch and never had any problems. It's an unfortunate luck of the draw I guess.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

I know it doesn't affect all HDTV systems but it sure does mine. And if someone can answer the question as to why it affects some and why others are not affected at all I would really like to know the answer. After all I am using the Monster Cable HDTV cables and not some generic version. And someone did post a way to play Fable,if it even works, but look at what a hassle you have to go through to get it to work. You can see what the people posted in the other thread that I started about Fable. That is also ridiculous. I am not going to go through any of that just to play a game, I shouldn't have to.

I am just happy that Gamestop Refunded me my money. This is a MAJOR screw up by Microsoft and they really need to fix it.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

Yeah, it is luck of the draw. I wonder if I take this one back and got a new one if I would still have a problem playing Fable.

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter

If by "one", you mean "HDTV", then possibly not!

I wonder if the issue has to do with dubious refresh rates? If so, it's a wonder that the software developers would have access to that sort of thing. Out of spec refresh rates can damage a display device.

Martin.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter

How do you set up your dashboard to progressive scan mode? I thought all you had to do is go to video, turn on widescreen mode,and have the settings set to 480p and 1080i.Am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks