Why am I always hungry?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Whalen, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

What in the hell is wrong with me? I'm hungry all the time. Tonight after work I ate three hot dogs, and was still hungry. Most of the time I eat and get full, but then just half an hour later I'm hungry again. I was thinking that it could be the fact that I work a physically demanding job, but I'm still hungry on the weekends (I have three days off for my weekends). But while I constantly eat I don't gain any weight (I'm about 160 lbs). Anyone have any idea why I'm hungry? Is it something psycological (sp:b )? Or does my body actually need for me to eat like I do? What's everyone's thoughts?

Dan

2. DaleR

DaleR Stunt Coordinator

One word: tapeworms.[​IMG]

3. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

You could have a fast metabolism. If you were a car, you'd be a gas guzzler. [​IMG]
    I wish I could be so lucky.
    KJP

4. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

Dan, I'm the same way. I have a very physical job and work 12-hour shifts. The way my shift works is that I'll work a couple of days and then have a couple off. When I work, I don't eat much. With the sheer physical exertion of my job, I'd probably be puking all day long! But when my days off come around, I eat practically nonstop. I've amazed friends who have seen me eat an entire large pizza at once, or 2 foot-long Subway subs! And for the record, I weigh 160 lbs.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Dan, you didn't say how old you are, but if this is a recent change, I'd go for the tapeworm too. See a doc.

Glenn

6. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Unless you have been overseas or drinking from dirty pond water I seriously doubt that you have a tapeworm. I would think it is either your physical activity or a metabolic disorder. Any history of thyroid problems in your family? Do you feel light-headed? Could be anything from nothing, to hyperthyroidism, or hypoglycemia. If you are worried, see a doctor.

-Chris

7. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Maybe he's on that wonderful seefood diet. To be honest, I'm not Asian. I was born Hungry. [​IMG] Maybe Dan's the same way. He was born Hungry too. [​IMG]

8. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

Perhaps you are dehydrated (most americans are). Chances are your body is asking for water but you are misinterpreting it as a need for food. Next time you are really hungry, drink a glass of water and wait a couple of minutes. If you are indeed in need of food, you will still be hungry.
    btw, if you are wondering how much water to drink based on your weight and activity, go to www.water.com
    I was amazed at how much water my body needs. After a couple of days of properly hydrating my body, I slept better, I had better control of my body temp, and I wasnt hungry all the time like I used to.
    Good luck!
    -ikiru

9. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

Info on tapeworms from WebMD:

10. ikiru

ikiru Stunt Coordinator

11. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    you could also be eating way too fast. It takes a while for the signal that you're full to get from your stomach to your brain.

12. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i thought i heard somewhere that you're better off eating 4 or 5 smaller meals throughout the day?
    also, ikiru is right-on...most people do not drink enough water. i typically try to drink enough water so that my urine is nearly clear...trust me...that takes a LOT of water.
    also, since i have a deskjob, i try to eat healthy snacks...fruit, carrots, etc. or i eat non-fat pretzels and the like. i try not to drink sodas.
    but i'm no saint...that's for sure. i just downed 4 girlscout cookies!
    luckily, i also (must) have a pretty high metabolism. i can pretty much eat whatever i want when i want and i've never gotten over 155. of course, i'm 4'3"... [​IMG]

13. Dan Whalen

Dan Whalen Stunt Coordinator

I'm 22. I used to be the same way in high school, but I weighed more around 180 lbs so it's not anything recent. But the weird thing is sometimes (especially the weekends) I'll eat one meal and not be hungry for the rest of the day. I feel fine so I don't think I'm sick or anything. I was talking to my wife about it and she says that she's the same way sometimes (maybe it's contageous[​IMG] ). And as much as I love a tall frothy glass of dirty pond water I doubt it's tapeworm.[​IMG] I probably should be drinking more water. I've been drinking a lot of Sprite lately, and just got hooked on milk (mmm, strawberry milk). And I don't think it's b/c I'm eating too fast (although I do have a tendency to do that:b ), b/c I'm still hungry an hour later. Oh, well. Maybe I'm just weird (oh, wait, I am[​IMG] ). Anywho, time to go eat.[​IMG]
    Dan

14. Jude Faelnar

Jude Faelnar Stunt Coordinator

Eating a lot without gaining weight could happen in people with hyperthyroidism.
    Just a thought. See your doctor...
    JUDE

15. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

One thing I noticed while on the Atkins diet was that when I stayed away from sugary foods my appetite was almost nonexistent. This is due to the increase of insulin in the blood when you eat sugary foods or so I've read. Don't know if this is true or not but for me it was. I used to get hunger pains just like you have stated and for the most part it was due to me eating too many sugary foods or high carbohydrate foods. My .02 worth.[​IMG]