Why Allman Brothers' Live at the Filmore East is better used

Discussion in 'Music' started by Grant B, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Grant B

Grant B Producer

From an interview with the founder of Amoeba Music, thought this was pretty amusing

Q: What happens when people come in to sell their records?

A: Well, we've found many incredible things in the record sleeves. People tended to hide things during the '70s in their record jackets. We found naked pictures of a guy and his girlfriend in a Lynyrd Skynyrd album. And there are certain notorious records. For instance, 50% of the time when we open up the Allman Brothers' Live at the Filmore East, we find stems and seeds. The fold-out jacket opens up and it was the perfect place to roll a marijuana joint.

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I find seeds and stems in albums all the time...and the Allmans at Fillmore East is best served on vinyl. I've heard no CD or SA-CD that even comes close to vinyl no matter how stoned you get...[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman

It don't count if you put 'em there yourself!!! [​IMG]

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Heh. I just moved to SF, living a few blocks away from Amoeba. A very dangerous place to visit for my wallet.

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

BrianB
    Welcome to the neighborhood!
    Check out Open Mind Music on Divisidero near Oak if you haven't already. Not nearly as big but a good store
    Grant

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I like the extra tracks the one version of the CD has though. [​IMG]

7. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

It's a tragedy that both remastered CDs suck.

The Tom Dowd remaster sounds great, but mucks up the tracks something awful, even so far as eliminating "Put yo' hands t'gether!" in "One Way Out." WHY?!

And then the second remaster, while faithful to the original vinyl, simply doesn't sound as good as the mucked up Dowd.

DAMN![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

As an aside, I covered an Allman Brothers show here in Los Angeles at the Wiltern way back in, oh, 1993 or so. The cannabis smoke was so thick in the auditorium one could get high off it. Everybody had a bowl or a joint going. And the band itself played in front of an older 1960s-style lightshow, replete with images of mushrooms (a certain type of mushroom, see). What a night. I gave the show a very positive review.

9. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I am surprised you remember even being there Jack. I hear Rhino Records is closing up their LA store this weekend.

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Grant, it's the short-term memory that gets whacked out, not the long-term. [​IMG]

And, yep, Rhino closing up. Only our own Ameoba Music store maintains that independent status.

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

That's right, my short term was wacked from a pick up going 90 on the 405. Sort of Memento without the body art
    I rememeber walking down Melrose in the 80s stopping about once a block in a record store.... they disappeared like typewriter repair shops

12. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Grant, we now need to start checking Eat A Peach albums for contraband. [​IMG]