What's new

Why all amps and receivers aren't the same. (1 Viewer)

johnADA

Stunt Coordinator

I would have to believe it to be true.
If you pulled more than it was meant to the job of the fuse is to shut it down.
Capacitors like you said are for short term usage, also to protect against ripple effects of voltage.

So between some weight changes, power cord sizing and fuses on the power supply end of it, should be and indicator of what its capable off.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I knew there was a way around the marketing jargon. I just dug deep into the Fisher. That thing is amazing, considering I only paid $20 for it. It had some more fuses that I didn't see before. They were 1 amp fuses, a pair, for the switched outlet. So that means my CD player will be triple protected; surge protector, switched outlet overload protection, and the CD player's internal fuse protection. The filter capacitors are nicer than your average Fisher stuff, they really are like aluminum cans, not like the cheaper ones that are wrapped in plastic with a very low grade, what ever metal they use it's cheap. What is the difference between 63v and 85wv? What is "wv" anyway, watt volts? Is that essentially the same as volts? just currious.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I found this at electronicstutorials.com.

So the voltage being higher would likely make the capacitor larger. I also figure most cap manufacturers decided not to include "working" on the cap.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
So the voltage wouldn't have any impact on the capacitor's size?

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that technological advances have enabled one to shrink the size of capacitors, all else being equal.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Ok, so both age and higher voltage could make them larger, I see.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks