Why 2 x-overs w/LFE?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve_Ma, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Please disregard this post. A more thorough search turned up the following thread which gives me what I was looking for:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...ave+thumb+bass
    --Steve
    Why would someone want to use the low-pass filter on their sub when also using the LFE ouput on their rec with mains set to small and sub = yes?
    It seems like many of us run this config, and I often see advice in forums telling people to use the low pass filter on the sub despite the fact that the receivers internal x-over is already doing this. In this setup, doesn't this only increase the liklihood of gaps in the bass response because of competing x-overs. I was under the impression that it's better to crank the sub's low-pass to the max, (effectively) defeating it alltogether to let the rec do the bass mgt.
    I'm really not trolling, but am starting to question if I am on track here or am I missing something.
    Thanks
    --Steve

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

I maybe wrong but there is two ways you can do this. The first is the way you mentioned. Set the Subs crossover to max and allow the receiver to perform the function. This prevents any gaps. The other is to run your speaker wires to the sub and then from your sub to the speakers. Set Sub to NO and use the crossover in the sub?? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kevin