Why 2 RJ6 coax in structured wiring?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron H, Sep 10, 2001.

1. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

Hi group,
    I am getting ready to structure wire a house and have a question. The company contracted to do the wiring uses bundled cable that has 2 cat5's and 2 RJ6;s. What's the benefit of having 2 coax's? I'll only be running digital cable. Won't be geting a satellite, which is the only reason I could think to get the other RJ6 cable. Would I need this to do video modulation?
    THanks, Aaron

2. ace peterson

ace peterson Second Unit

I use a RG6 for satelite and another for my attic antanna.
    Ace

3. Hank_P

Hank_P Second Unit

Best to be safe than sorry. What happens if you cable company sells out, or the digital cable just becomes unberable and you want to try satellite. I would stick with the dual RJ6... might even be the selling point of the house if you decide to move!!!

4. Howard_A

Howard_A Stunt Coordinator

Some people also use the 2nd RG6 for whole-house video distribution or security camera viewing.
    I intended to distribute the signal from a roof-mounted FM antenna when I had my house wired for 2 RG6. I haven't got around to that yet since I got distracted by the Audiotron, which enables me to listen to MP3s off a central server and streaming audio over the Internet.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

6. SteveMc

SteveMc Stunt Coordinator

Yep, plan for the future. Even in businesses, most often they run two cables of Cat5 to an outlet, even if they only are currently using one. Chances are they'll use it in the future. 5 years down the road, who knows what type of devices you'll have hooked into your walls. If you don't want the cable now, have them install conduit instead so you can easily add whatever you want in the future.
    ------------------
    Crash
    "I don't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack."
    Help us get the Friday the 13th films-UNCUT. Click Here or here