1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Press Release: Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace and Music 40th Anniversary LE Revisted

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    Does the original cuts current availability attest to Warner's commitment to keep the originals available and not replaced by "upgrades"? (alternate cuts, 3D conversions)

2. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Producer
    Reviewer

This is frankly unbelievable. I already own the first 40th Anniversary Edition. I'm happy with that one.
    I don't need a few more performances at this point, and it's annoying that they expect me to continue forking over coin, a few songs at a time.
    I'll just stay with what I already have.

ahollis likes this.
  3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I picked up the Target exclusive set at Costco a few months ago for $25, so I'm good.

4. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Since the only new footage I'd want is The Who's Pinball Wizard, I'll pass on this. Why wasn't the new footage made available last time around?

5. Dave MJ

Dave MJ Stunt Coordinator

Including this might have tempted me to double dip. Weird that it was never released on DVD or blu. "Woodstock Diary" was released on DVD, and features several unreleased performances, but only a few from "Lost Performances":

http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-Diary-1969-Friday-Saturday/dp/B001TLWR46

It would be really nice to have all of the available footage in one place. Maybe for the 50th...

6. Geoff_D

Geoff_D Supporting Actor

Warners' UK Blu-ray has the extra performances and featurettes from both the Target and Amazon exclusives, I sold my fancy 40th Anni. edition to get that one, and I'm glad I did.

Obviously it won't have the new new content which some folks will just have to get, but the UK Blu is a great alternative.

7. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

Hasn't anyone got this new version yet? I ordered it from Deep Discount so it will be a while till I get mine ,this will make the third one
    while the new extra clips might not be all that great (You still need to get Woodstock Diary for many clips) I wonder what that Santana
    clip is ,is it going to be Like the evil ways where they had to major fix up

8. davidmatychuk

davidmatychuk Cinematographer

David Matychuk
  9. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

While I didn't like rebuying this ,it is nice having more performance clips ,of course some of the best stuff is still not included and makes one
    have to buy the Woodstock Diaries dvd and the Old Lost Performance's video
    The new stuff on this set is a fine clip of Santana which doesn't have the best coverage of his fingers ,but is pretty nice , There are two
    more songs from Joan Baez and two songs from Melanie (not the one included in the Lost Performances video)
    no where to be found is the other Richie Havens clips,or the Band ,and I don't think Blackbird by CSN is included,But they do give you
    two new CSN clips something the earlier set was badly missing ,There's no Tim Hardin ,Bert Sommer or Blood Sweat and tears
    so you need to get those clips elsewhere
    There is Paul Butterfield and more Who(Pinball wizard ) Come Back Baby by Jefferson Airplane,and another new clip by Sha Na Na

so it was worth it ,till they release the next version

10. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    So why didn't you include this "new" footage in the first place, on your last Blu-ray release? NO SALE.

11. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

who knows ,and the idea of putting bonus features on different versions is really stupid ,This new version fixes a lot of things ,and has a lot of extras ,so for first time buyers its a fantastic deal ,

12. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    It's the best thing out there if you don't own it. That said, it still fails in a large regard because they hedged their bets. At this point, a new edition of Woodstock should be the theatrical cut, then bonus discs featuring all the available footage. most of Hendrix's set has had a separate release I believe, and I think 2 or three songs from the Who appear in their Kids Are All Right documentary. That's not even touching the previous released performances that continue to be MIA.

Pony up, get the rights, and release a kitchen sink version. That's pretty much what we got from Criterion with MONTEREY POP, are we going to pretend that Time/Warner can't afford it?

(I know, they can afford it, they don't see the value in spending the money needed on a catalogue title. Which is why I don't see the value in spending my money to support their bullshit double dips like this one.)

davidmatychuk likes this.
  13. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

"That's pretty much what we got from Criterion with MONTEREY POP"

Well I have no idea what they filmed and what they didn't ,so the wonderful
    Criterion set seems somewhat complete ,but are we sure they aren't holding stuff back?? ,Woodstock is much different animal ,with tons and tons of footage
    While they can't (or won't include) some clips we know are out there (Like the Fantastic Blackbird by CSN, which is only on Woodstock Diaries )

There's a whole lot more music on this Woodstock set than that Monterey set ,There's the Original film clips ,add to that the stuff the director added (Janis Joplin ect) Theres all the bonus tracks on that last version (Creedence,the Dead ect) plus those 6 performances given out as amazon and Target extras
    Now add the 41 min of new performances not to mention the long making of stuff on the set and you get bang for you buck

You do need Woodstock Dairies ,Hendrix at Woodstock, The Lost Performances and that Janis documentary to get those other clips ,not to
    mention the various bootleg dvds so its not perfect

14. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I agree, we don't know what all was filmed for Monterey, and maybe there is more. The thing with the Criterion though is, they included everything currently available.

Why these Woodstock's keep coming out short of footage available is just stupid. forget single clips found elsewhere, as you listed, there's three complete programs "Woodstock Dairies ,Hendrix at Woodstock, The Lost Performances" that shouldn't be impossible to license that could be included. Some stuff will probably never happen. I think Neil Young continues to refuse to have his footage with CSN released, though he put a clip on the Archives Blu-rays so who knows.

15. Peter Neski

Peter Neski Screenwriter

I also can't understand why the producers of The Woodstock Diaries could get stuff like The Band for their TV special (now DVD) Yet warner's can't They have the Original footage but need to pay for rights to all the artists ,they somehow can afford CSN this time around ,but can't get Tim Hardin?/

16. Yorkshire

Yorkshire Screenwriter

Steve
    "Never trust a hippy!"
    Johnny Rotten/Jamie Reid

I'm looking forward to seeing anything from The Who, though.

Steve W

17. Message #37 of 40 Aug 15, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Dee Zee

Dee Zee Second Unit

Tom
  18. darkrock17

darkrock17 Screenwriter

Andrew McClure
    If WB is going to do anything providing it's not already been licensed to another studio/company the a 50th edition should be released before Dec 31 of this year as we all know how studios love to do their anniversary releases a year early.

19. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I can't believe it's already been 10 years since I bought and watched this Blu-ray, I had only owned a Blu-ray player for 7 months at the time. I think I will rewatch it over the weekend to celebrate Woodstock's 50 anniversary.

20. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I heard about this CD box set yesterday: "Woodstock — Back to the Garden — The Definitive Anniversary Archive"

It's a 38(!) disc set of the entire show - start to finish with music, announcements, etc. - from Rhino. It sold out within a very short time at $799.98/copy! Of the 432 tracks, 267 had never been made public before. There are smaller 10, 5, and 3 disc versions still available (I've not yet looked for them to see what they include).

I don't know that I'd really want to own a copy but *would* like to hear it just once.

I'd seriously consider purchasing another copy of the movie *if* it contained at least 50% new material.