WHV Press Release: Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory (Blu-ray)

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Looking at that poster ;I never knew Willy Wonka was Paramount. I always thought it was a Warner title since the beginning.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor

It was originally a Paramount movie, but all subsequent theatrical, television, and home video prints (I don't believe there were any home video versions from Paramount themselves, if there were, please let me know) were released by Warner. This was a result of the film's poor performance at the box office when it was first released, and Paramount and Quaker Oats (sponsors for the movie), both of whom saw no financial advantage in the film, sold it to Warner.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Actually, part of the rights reverted back to producer David L. Wolper, who subsequently sold the distribution rights to Warner, who rereleased it theatrically and on video in 1984.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I assumed Warner got it back when they bought David Wolper's company, around the time his production of "Roots" aired on TV.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It's not a matter of "getting it back." Warner purchased Quaker's portion of the rights in 1977. Paramount was only the distributor, and opted not to renew its distribution contract on the film in 1978. The rights then went back to Wolper, who sold to Warner.

Dave H

Producer
Senior HTF Member

Warner's "fix" for The Perfect Storm was merely using a filtering/softening technique to smooth out the jaggies. A new master or transfer was never created.

JulianK

Supporting Actor

I've heard rumours that the Burton film will be released on Blu-ray in the US in a new Director's Cut version.

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

If that's what we get for Wonka then I will be the first to demand a new transfer, just like the MAR debacle of 2001.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
no new master = no sale

Porting the HD-DVD encode is unthinkable on a title of this importance

BrettB

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
No OAR = NO Sale!

Ah, good times.

How tall are these infernal digibooks? Is it taller than the Close Encounters packaging? If it is it won't fit in my storage area with my other Blu-rays.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
WILLY WONKA & THE CHOCOLATE FACTORY Delectable Debut as Blu-ray Book from Warner Home Video October 6 Burbank, CA –Fans of the perennial family classic Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory will scream “I want it now!” (like the character Veruca Salt) when the film makes its Blu-ray Book debut on October 20 from Warner Home Video. This favorite film of children around the world will now dazzle in premium Blu-ray packaging -- containing a 38-page book including sing-along song lyrics, fun cast bios, and colorful photos from the film. No “Golden Ticket” needed! Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory Blu-ray Book will sell for $34.99 SRP. About the Film: Legendary Candy Man Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) stars in the splendiferous movie that brings to the screen the endlessly appetizing delights of Roald Dahl’s classic book. Coated with flavorful tunes and production design that constantly dazzles the eye, this effervescent musical never fails to enchant young and old. On a whirlwind tour of Willy’s incredible, edible realm of chocolate waterfalls, elfish Oompa-Loompas and industrial-sized confections, a boy named Charlie (Peter Ostrum) will discover the sweetest secret of all: a generous, loving heart. And viewers will rediscover all the timeless magic as it was meant to be seen. Special Features: Delicious documentary: Pure Imagination: The Story of Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory Mouth-watering commentary with the Wonka Kids Four scrumptious sing-along songs Tasty vintage featurette Theatrical trailer Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory Blu-ray Book Street Date: October 6, 2009 Pricing: $34.99 SRP

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The disc is now coming October 6, two weeks earlier. Hopefully that is not a sign that they're using the old transfer badly de-interlaced, as the HD-DVD apparently did.

Mike Frezon

There was some doubt, but October 6 turned out to be the real date after all for the Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory release.

I just saw a digi-book copy at Target for $29.99. Steep...but if someone needs their Golden Ticket...

MatthewA

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Here's some screenshots:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews47/willy_wonka_chocolate_factory_blu-ray.htm

Greg_M

Screenwriter
This blu-ray could easily win the "worst spine ever" black lettering over what seems like gold chips/sparkles - you can hardly make out the writting (who approved this?) - but otherwise it seems like a nice package

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kasievbneha