What's new

WHV Press Release: The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary (Blu-ray 3D)(Blu-ray)(DVD) (1 Viewer)

What version of Oz are you (or not) purchasing?

• Total voters

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Johnny Angell said:
How long did it take for WM to cancel your order?
It was almost right away both times. So you're probably safe.

I think I know what's up. Since I write my paycheck over to walmart each month they know it's already spent on other things that they sell. thank you Wally. Thank you sir.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Ronald Epstein said:
I am merely repeating what I have said previously in this thread....

I have attempted several times to find out if the 2D version is a
new master or the same version that was included in the 70th
Anniversary release.

The fact that the studio would not comment and actually raved
about the transfer quality of the previous release (as they should),
leads me to believe that this is the same release.

I cannot confirm 100%, but anyone who has any fear about buying
what they may have already should wait until the sets are released
and read reviews from qualified reviewers to find out if there are
any improvements whatsoever.

Of course, if you are going for the 3D release, as I am, then there
should be no worries.
At one point, Robert Harris said he expected an improvement in picture quality on the 75th set. That was a while ago, and things may have changed.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I, for one, am revealed that they got the happy meal and cupcake contest situation FINALLY covered with this release. It's been annoying some of us fans of the film for years not having OZ cupcake contests and happy meals available to us.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
As a dreaded bean-counter by profession, I can tell you that they wouldn't be spending $25 million to market this if the payback wasn't going to be many times that amount. Hopefully some of that revenue can be allocated toward releasing the stuff you and I want to see. If that's the case, then more power to them.

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
ASPARAGUS?!?!?

• Gourmet Trading Company, the leading distributor of fresh asparagus in North America, will promote “The Wizard of Oz” for six months on 2.5 million bunches of asparagus with call outs about the release on hang tags, as well as guidance for consumers on how to connect via Gourmet's Facebook page for a chance to win special prizes.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Russell G said:
I, for one, am revealed that they got the happy meal and cupcake contest situation FINALLY covered with this release. It's been annoying some of us fans of the film for years not having OZ cupcake contests and happy meals available to us.
It's possible there will be a million kids who discover this movie. Another generation growing up with TWoO. Sounds like a good thing to me.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Johnny Angell said:
It's possible there will be a million kids who discover this movie. Another generation growing up with TWoO. Sounds like a good thing to me.
Well it's been proven that nothing sells movies like garbage happy meal toys! Looking forward to Warners making a billion dollars off this so they can plan something really special for Oz's 80th!

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
JohnMor said:
Ah, $25 million being spent to market this. How nice. Cupcakes and happy meals. SO much better than spending that on unreleased films.
1/25 of that amount could see the restoration of Raintree County... (I know, I'm sounding like a broken record with that film.) Hopefully the money the Oz Blu-ray brings in will help fund that project, and others...

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I'm really excited about the Happy Meal option. It's been a while since McDonalds had any vintage material as the basis for Happy Meals and these sound like good ones. Too bad they are not doing Oz friction powered racers, however.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Maybe now that the Ultra Resolution facilities are free they can go in and redo some classic Technicolour films like Scaramouche.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'm sure Gone With the Wind has an anniversary coming up that will keep those Ultra Resolution facilities busy!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Radioman970 said:
Will the cupcake have poppies... poooooppppppieeeeees....ppppppooooooooooopppeeeeeeeeeeessssss... ?
1478.jpg

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
Maybe they can use the money to fix the issues: restore Judy's missing dialogue, remove added chicken sounds that drown out dialogue, remove the alterations to the music tempo during the Rescue of Dorothy from the Witch's castle, restore the missing frames from the digital glitch, and lighten up the transition to Technicolor.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Oh yes, this film is on the verge of being completely forgotten by new generations. Anyone who thinks happy meals, cupcakes and asparagus tags are needed to introduce a new generation of kids to this film must be unaware of this film's history and popularity. Let alone that it hasn't even been a "new generation" since the last blu ray release, a mere 5 years ago.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Andrew Budgell said:
1/25 of that amount could see the restoration of Raintree County... (I know, I'm sounding like a broken record with that film.) Hopefully the money the Oz Blu-ray brings in will help fund that project, and others...
No, it will probably be spent to fund and market the 80th Anniversary boxset of The Wizard of Oz on blu ray.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Sounds like it's time to go over to Amazon and cancel my order ... this would seem to confirm that there's been no remastering at all of the 2-D blu ray. I'm sure if they had done any work, there would have been room to mention it after the cupcake spiel......

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Maybe in 5 years WM will let me order one. 80th sounds great!

Actually, I'll probably phone my order in if they allow that. Just to see what's going on. I figure I'll order 2, one to gift. Maybe that'll sweetin the deal! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks