What's new

WHV Press Release: The Wizard of Oz 75th Anniversary (Blu-ray 3D)(Blu-ray)(DVD) (1 Viewer)

What version of Oz are you (or not) purchasing?

• Total voters

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Matt,

I can relate. It's odd how this new 3D version forces you to watch everything
but what you are actually supposed to be focused on.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Ron,
I may be one of the few HTF members who have never, ever seen The Wizard of Oz on any home system (via broadcast, VHS, Laserdisc, DVD, BD). The first time I saw it I may have been six (1956). My very small home town theater in Puerto Rico was not yet equipped for wide screen projection, so our days were filled with old movies that were lying about in the studio exchanges since the 1930s, and some new product that was protected for 1.37 projection. Of course, I didn't know this at the time.
At any rate, back to Wizard. It was playing that one day. I didn't know anything about it, so armed with my 5 cents, I went to see it in the sweltering heat of the tropics. It began and it had a brownish tint (how odd); I'm so used to black & white films, but this is not "normal." And then, the shift to Technicolor, and my reaction must have been the same feeling of wonder and amazement that 1939 audiences felt. And don't forget, I'm watching an archive print of the darn thing! I just fell in love with it. Left the theater, went home, had dinner, and begged my mother to allow me to go see the evening show (last chance to see it; all films played one day only). She couldn't understand why I would want to see the same film twice in one day, but she relented. So armed with another nickel, I had another magical and unforgettable experience.
Since then, I've seen Wizard at MoMA or repertory theaters, and most recently during the incredible IMAX 3D presentation.
I am so glad that a new generation is able to see details that were always there but obscured by poor video transfers.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Jose,

That is a great story. Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed reading that experience.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ahollis said:
It's a completely different movie than what I have watched the past 40 years.
I could not agree more. It's a far more immersive experience in 3D than I ever imagined it would be.

moviebuff75

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Scott Richard
How about a version in which the audio track is restored to its original version, the digital glitch is gone (it is already gone on the 3D version), and the special effects wires are back. If they are going to erase all seams and exposed effects, then they would destroy the film. They didn't bother us before 2009.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
I have the 70th ann. boxset. I was planning on just getting the standard 3D/blu disc. Are there any special features that are only included in the 75th boxset and not the 70th or 3D/blu set?

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
75th AE has a new documentary "The Making of the Wonderful Wizard of Oz" (68 min). However, it doesn't include the "The Making of a Movie Classic (1990)" doc from the 70th AE.I believe the packaging and collectibles differ between 70th and 75th.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
AnthonyClarke said:
I have heard that Warners is planning, for the 90th Anniversary, a 4-D version. That one will actually take the audience to pre-war Kansas.
Day job.......

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Jari K said:
Well, I have both of the mega box sets now! Take that suckas!(Or perhaps it's me who's the sucker... ;) )
You're only a sucker if you have both box sets in addition to the 2005 Collector's Edition, the 1999 Gift Set, the 1997 "Ultimate Oz" laserdisc, the 1989 50th Anniversary VHS, and the 1988 Criterion Collection laserdisc.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Though I don't have 3D setup, I've discovered since downloading the free DVDFab Passkey Lite, I can now play the 3D "OZ" Blu-ray (In which the minor video glitches have been fixed!), via VLC Player's 3D - 2D Downconversion capability. MPC-HC will play the 3D Blu-ray, also!

The Moment Glinda, "The Good Witch" Makes Her First Appearance (Downconverted Screenshot From The 3D Blu-ray!):

vlcsnap-2015-11-30-01h28m09s413.png

Is this the bit where the jump frame was on the 2009 Blu-ray? It did play smoothly, here! :)

CHEERS! :)

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
moviebuff75 said:
No, it is when she is leaving, as the Munchkins run towards her...but you are right!

Hi Eric!

Oh, you mean during this bit (3D version Downconverted to 2D by MPC-HC):

00098.mpls_snapshot_00.32.27_2015.11.30_19.21.45.png

00098.mpls_snapshot_00.32.34_2015.11.30_19.22.40.png

These two screenshots capture Glinda's exit from Munchkinland, just as the Munchkins come into view, and just before the Bubble disappears. Yes, this bit, which occurs at right around the 32 ½ minute mark, also plays smoothly without any jump frames on this 3D version! :)

Incidentally, the MPC-HC displayed running time for the 3D version of this Feature is 1:41:45.

Tony

UPDATE: I just checked my HD version of THE WIZARD OF OZ on Flixster, and to be honest, the above sequence appears to play smoothly on that one, as well!

Perhaps, it is only on the 2D Blu-ray that the jump frame is present? I'll be checking this later!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
TonyD said:

I recorded that 6 years ago so.
Hard to see the glitch but it's in there.

Hi Tony!

Your video demonstration shows how tricky the glitch is to spot even in slow motion, let alone when playing at the proper speed!

While it's great that this was fixed, albeit only for the 3D version, in my opinion, the audio issues caused by the revamped 1998 audio alterations/modifications are more glaring! I'll even go so far as to state these never should have been done to begin with, regardless of the original intent that it not be used as the goto track for Home video issue! We know all too well what happened with intent, in this case!

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks