What's new

WHV Press Release: The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary UCE (DVD/Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Spoke to the studio.

There is no single disc BD of OZ available domestically at this time.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Well if that isn't an big 'ol raised middle finger directed at their Blu-ray customers then I'll eat one of their box-o-junk sets.

Thanks Warner! :thumbsdown:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I hate to say it, but I hope then that their BD release of TWoO sells miserably. And, most importantly, I hope they understand why.

Dumb.

Danny Burk

Second Unit
Likewise, I'll never buy the "Box O'Junk Edition". I'd like to have WoO in Blu-Ray, but my standard DVD will do just fine till a normal edition Blu-Ray is released...and I'll happily buy that version.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I always worry about how businesses construe poor sales...since I've had so many conversations with store managers, etc. about issues where they just don't seem to "get" the customer's point of view.

We used to have conversations here all the time about whether boycotts of MAR'd releases would get the message to the studios that we wanted OAR releases or if they'd just think that particular title wasn't popular, or oversaturated, etc.

In this case, maybe WB would infer that poor sales of the BD TWoO means that people don't want older titles in HD...or, whatever.

I suppose (as is always a good policy) that the best thing to do would to directly let WB customer relations know that we're not buying this title because it's too expensive and we want a bare-bones release.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The key word to me which means another opportunity might become available elsewhere.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
If and when that opportunity becomes a reality, we should take advantage of it which will send a definite signal to certain Warner executives.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, I'm buying the single disc of "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" from Amazon UK because it's a lot cheaper than buying it here where it's only available as part of a boxset with two other films. The same should apply to "The Wizard of Oz" without all those frills.

Crawdaddy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Time will tell. My experience is that import BDs are much more expensive than their US counterparts.

While it may be cheaper than the US box...it would probably still be too rich for me and I will likely wait until there's a simple 1- or 2-disc US release.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Not really. I'm just saying that I'll wait until there is. And if there isn't such a release, I'll do without. No biggie. WB loses the sale and I can live without owning TWoO in HD.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I think as more catalog titles come out in the $10-$15 range, sales of catalog titles will improve.

How many people are going to pay $20-$30 for catalog titles that are available for half that on SD (or are already owned on SD)?

IMO, The Wizard of Oz has a much wider potential audience than some of the other classic films mentioned in this thread. (Quo Vadis? Not even close!) It's a family film that *everyone* loves -- a potential "killer app" for the format. But not at that price point.

Ditto.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Then I'm not talking to you, but to those that want TWoO as soon as possible, but don't want to pay $60 for it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Again, then I'm not talking to you, but to others like myself that are interested and will buy it at import pricing if it becomes available to us.

Crawdaddy

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

And that's probably just the niche market that Warners is trying to reach! :D

It's really too bad they're going in this direction--especially if they release a "bare bones" version in another region.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I don't think "bare bones" is the right term here since it implies movie-only, no supplements or extras. I want a multi-disc set with all the on-disc extras, just not a big unwieldy box with a toy watch and other extraneous physical items in the package that cost WHV very little but grossly inflate the price.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Glenn: I agree--which is why I used the quotation marks around the phrase. On other occasions I used "1- or 2-disc" (either of which would be fine with me.)

I meant what you described...but was looking for some shorthand to easily say it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks