What's new

WHV Press Release: The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary UCE (DVD/Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I have no desire for a WOZ box-o-junk. I already have a standard def WOZ box-o-junk. I don't need a watch either. I haven't worn a watch since about 1996 and the introduction of the cellphone. And I certainly wouldn't wear a WOZ watch and risk ridicule! HAHAHA!

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Well, I guess I'm the only interested in buying this set.
George, if you are reading, tell production to only make one Wizard of Oz set. There's only one interested buyer. PM me for my mailing address.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Why can't they simply do what they did with the $39.95 Blade Runner set?

Heck, they can even up the msrp to $49.95 as long as they include all of the video content on the discs which are included in the bloated "collector's" box.

I can't imagine this being the best of ideas in this or ANY economic climate. There is also the issue of shelf-space for retailers. I simply can't imagine they're enthusiastic that WHV want's to only issue a collector's edition in an oversized box. Retailers like Wal Mart and Best Buy would probably rather reserve their shelf-space for regular priced items that'll actually sell.

I am so HAPPY I kept my HD-DVD of Casablanca.

This IS a bad idea Warner.

Thane101

Agent
Real Name
Ethan
I was tempted to buy this at first, but after reading all of your comments I have to agree about the extra junk. This a no-sale for me.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Add me to the group who has no desite to spend $60 on this box o' stuff and air which I have NO shelf space for.

A watch?? Seriously?? Is Warner's market research really showing a huge demand for a WoO watch??

The last SD WoO set was pretty stellar. I'm sure the new hi-res transfer blows it away, but it will suffice until I can buy the 2 BD-disks in a standard case (or even the book format) sans landfill material.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I'll buy this on blu-ray in a heartbeat ONLY if they release a lesser version without the extra stuff I don't really need.
Just give me the movie with the extras on the second disc.
I don't need anything else.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
so the extra on the BD When the Lion Roars Doc. This was the same DOc that was released on standard DVD a while back as a two disc DVD set right? I wonder if it will be the full doc ?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Tell him to make two. I am drooling at the thought the transfer will be twice as good as the SDVD is now. I had never seen this picture look so good as during the last release. It was a different picture than what I grew up with on TV.

I will put up with the extras if the transfer is as good as they say it will be.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

I would imagine that it is just a segment, like the one on Frank Sinatra was for On The Town DVD. I am interested in the John Ritter MFTV movie on Frank Baum's life.

Also - Besides GONE WITH THE WIND getting this same type of release, I expect them to do it with BEN-HUR and perhaps DOCTOR ZHIVAGO.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I sure hope not for Zhivago, which is one of my favorites. I wouldn't expect that since it hasn't had any big 3 or 4 disc SE on DVD before.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm a fan of THE WIZARD OF OZ, and so far I've had the very first single DVD (when it was by MGM, I think) and also the "second" SE DVD, which was WB. I never bought the most recent incarnation (was it 2005??).

Bottom line - I DO want a Blu-ray version, but I have to join the loud chorus of many others here in this thread and say that I do NOT need all the extra toys and junk. What I want is just the movie itself, along with the deleted sequences, extra documentaries, newsreels, interviews, on-camera bonus material, maybe the audio extras. Just the discs.

I can wait... this is not something I am going to rush out and buy right on release. I won't pay that kind of money for this. However, WOZ is a very big classic cult item as well, and I'm sure there are those big diehard OZ collectors who are excited about getting this "kitchen sink" version, too. I think we should have two options.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I'm not trying to be contrary, but I am thrilled with the plans for the blu-ray release.
That being said, it is made for a fan like me, who triple and quadruple dips,
watches all extras, and has collected every incarnation of this, my favorite film. I'm not denying other people's heart's desire, but this one actually fulfills mine.
I'm excited.
When I used to wait each year for the CBS showing, I couldn't ever imagine that I'd see a release of it like I will see in September.
I wouldn't be true to myself if I didn't shout out how completely happy I am about this.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm hoping they get the message sooner than that. they should look at BD sales of Casablanca, The Notebook and Woodstock, all of which I would guess have been rather lackluster, if what I've seen on store shelves is any indication.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

Yeah? Well, if you ever go looking for your heart's desire again--you'll probably get it!!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland

This is what I can't understand. A watch?? Luggage tags and a passport cover? (in the Casablanca box)? REALLY??

I love the material related to the FILM and it's history, although I realize not everyone else does. Give me all the old memos, lobby cards, press books, etc. I get a kick out of those. But NOT trinkets. I'm not 9 years old.

And if you're doing a 2 disc DVD in addition to the Ultimate Edition, you should do a 1-disc blu-ray as well. Just common sense. And common courtesy.

I still love Warners, but they do have me shaking my head over Casablanca and now this one.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan

I'm still wondering what Warners will send out for Casablanca in their BD trade in program.

-R

ajabrams

Second Unit
Real Name
Alan Abrams
Patrick - Are you sure that the $45 price was for the Blu-Ray versions?
The $45 price is what they're charging for the SD versions.

Heinz W

Second Unit

Yes, this is true. I saw it myself at Walmart yesterday. I remember being surprised as I thought the only version available was the fancy box set. Hopefully they do this with both The Wizard of Oz and GWTW, that's the only way I'm buying either one.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I thought Warner was trying to be the leader of lower priced, Blu-ray content? I don't see why this title or GWTW should be exceptions. I can see them being priced more than other catalogs because of the restoration work, but stay within reason for crying out loud. No way in hell I would spend $60 on this box. This just seems like poor marketing strategy especially in such a poor economy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks