1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

WHV Press Release: The Iron Giant: Signature Edition and Directors Cut (Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Message #1 of 15 Mar 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2018
    Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    twJ8RZi.

Revisit a Classic in HD…

THE IRON GIANT:SIGNATURE EDITION

Debuts September 6 on Blu-Ray®

and as Ultimate Collectors Edition

from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment

Includes The Giant’s Dream, a new making-of documentary

Burbank, CA, March 28, 2016 – The classic beloved animated tale “The Iron Giant” returns to home screens when “The Iron Giant: Signature Edition” is released for the first time on Blu-ray on September 6. Also available on September 6 will be an “Ultimate Collectors Edition.” The 1999 film directed by Brad Bird (“The Incredibles,” “Ratatouille,” “Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol,” “Tomorrowland”) has been fully remastered and enhanced with two all-new scenes.

When“The Iron Giant” arrived in theaters, it was hailed as an “instant classic” (Joe Morgenstern, The Wall Street Journal). “Imagine E.T. as a towering metal man, that’s the appeal of this enchanting animated feature” (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times). And the world soon learned another “giant” had arrived as well: filmmaker Brad Bird, who made his stunning directorial debut with this film and has gone on to win two Oscars®, as well as worldwide acclaim for his work on both animated and live-action features.

Winner of nine Annie Awards, “The Iron Giant” is the tale of an unlikely friendship between a rebellious boy named Hogarth (voiced by Eli Marienthal) and a giant robot, voiced by a then little-known actor named Vin Diesel. The voice cast also included Jennifer Aniston and Harry Connick Jr.

The film was produced by Allison Abbate and Des McAnuff from a screen story by Brad Bird and screenplay written by Tim McCanlies and Brad Bird. Adapted from poet Ted Hughes’ book, The Iron Man, “The Iron Giant”was first released in the summer of 1999 by Warner Bros.

“We're tremendously gratified by the ever-growing status of “The Iron Giant,” which was a labor of love for those of us who made it,” said director Brad Bird. “It seems like a perfect time to give the film’s large and expanding fan-base the deluxe Blu-ray they've long been asking for."

“The Iron Giant: Signature Edition” will be available to own on Blu-ray for $14.97 SRP and contains both the Signature Edition of the film and the original theatrical version in high definition. The disc will also include the new documentary, The Giant’s Dream, a definitive look at the making of “The Iron Giant.”

“The Iron Giant: Signature Edition” will also be available as an Ultimate Collectors Edition for $74.99 SRP. The Ultimate Collectors Edition will include the Signature Edition and the original theatrical version in both high definition and standard definition, “The Giant’s Dream” documentary, a hardcover art book on “The Iron Giant,” collectible Mondo art cards, a 4-inch plastic articulated Iron Giant statue, and a letter from director Brad Bird.

Fans can also own “The Iron Giant: Signature Edition” via purchase from digital retailers.

BLU-RAY and ULTIMATE COLLECTORS EDITION ELEMENTS

“The Iron Giant: Signature Edition” Blu-ray disc contains the following special features:

· The Giant’s Dream documentary NEW!

The Giant’s Dream is the dramatic story about a rare moment in movie history that allowed a first-time director to make one of the world’s greatest animated films, “The Iron Giant.” Using stylized animatics, archival footage, original concept art, and revealing interviews, The Giant’s Dream charts the incredible ups and downs, industry firsts, and amazing history behind this iconic film, and its rebel director, Brad Bird.

· A personal letter from director Brad Bird

· “The Iron Giant: Signature Edition”trailer

· Theatrical version commentary by Brad Bird

· Additional scenes, including alternate opening

· Mini documentary segments

· Teddy Newton The X Factor

· Duck and Cover sequence

· The Voice of the Giant

· Motion Gallery

· Brad Bird trailer

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Mark Walker and Jake Lipson like this.
  2. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    Very tempting.

3. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I just want the DC Blu-ray of the flick, but that *is* a very nice box set.

Mark Walker likes this.
  4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Same here. Just looking for the Blu without the box of stuff.

5. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Very nice but, I'm waiting for the Raintree County Ultimate Collectors Edition which will have:

• Roadshow version with 2.76:1 AR, 5.1 sound derived from the 70mm 6 tracks that were never used.
    • Theatrical version with 2.35:1 AR and 4.0 sound from the Cinemascope release.
    • Movie program
    • Pressbook
    • Outtakes
    • Plastic figures of the main stars
    • MGM Camera 65 70mm frames
    • Movie poster
    • Lobby cards
    • Production stills

:D

6. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I usually stick with just the bluray, but this set looks nice.

Mark Walker likes this.
  7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Your prayers have been answered.

Single Edition only...

10005871763DIron_Giant_BD3D.

Dave Moritz, dpippel and dana martin like this.
  8. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Hallelujah!

9. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    I am thrilled to see this release as The Iron Giant is one of my favorite animated films.

10. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    In an interview with the animators they said about the added scenes:

http://www.skwigly.co.uk/ken-duncan-iron-giant/

So, that means that the original film should have grain and be presented faithfully that way (or else, why did they have to add grain to the additional scenes?)
    I expect the Bluray to be grainy as well and not like the DIsney "restorations".
    If it resembled the latter I regret to say that I won't be interested in buying it.
    But if it retains the original look I will definitely support such a transfer.

11. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Glad to hear the movie only edition will be available as I am interested in adding this movie as well. Doesn't sound like this movie will be released on 4K UHD though but this release may end up being good enough in 1080p. Not sure I would watch it enough to justify paying the extra money for 4K or not?

:D

If I can improve my horrible income I would love to collect stuff like this. Having cool collectibles would make all my hard work worth while instead of working hard and having limited income.

12. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Can't beat that price either.

13. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    I don't think cel animation has anything to gain from 4k resolution.

14. Konstantinos

Konstantinos Screenwriter

Konstantinos
    I saw the screenshots from the other site's review and I'm very happy and relieved that the film does keep the grain and hasn't scrubbed it away! Phew!
    Well, it says the restoration was done under the supervision of the director Brad Bird so I was hoping that he would adopt the right approach as he did!

15. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    I want to get this but both Best Buy & Amazon have kept the price above $70 so I hope they will lower the price soon.