What's new

WHV Press Release: The Exorcist Extended Director's Cut (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

If you go regularly, and your theaters haven't replaced all their projectors with digital equipment, there'll be plenty of grain on display if you look for it.

Yep. There's two theaters in my area and one has digital projectors and the other has probably 1/3 of their screens using digital projectors but I can definitely easily see the difference between the two in terms of grain. Two or three years ago, I would have never noticed the grain on prints but now that I mostly see digital projections, I can spot film pretty easily.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
If I actually have to "look" for it on a theater screen, then it's not troublesome. But I don't like to see it plain as day in my living room. This is just a subjective, aesthetic preference.

Yes, I can see the difference these days between regular and ditgital projecting when I go to theaters. That said, even when I watched regular presentations, the movies still never appeared "annoyingly grainy" to me.

Sorry, but it's just my opinion. And not ALL shots in the new EXORCIST Blu-ray struck me that way.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know how close you are to your display, but most of us are not that far from the screen when watching a film. Even with the difference in screen size between home and an actual movie theater, most of us seat in a theater at a far greater distance from a theater screen.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Blu Ray has the ability to replicate the look of a film to a high degree, which includes graininess. If you don't like the BR for being faithful to the film, you're essentially saying you don't like how the film looks, which raises the question of why you are watching it.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
RobertR - I saw THE EXORCIST in the theater in my life a number of times. And it's never looked "grainy" to me like the effect of the BD.

Robert Crawford - I think you're right in that one of the reasons films don't appear "grainy" in theaters is because we're sitting back much further. This goes with what I originally said ... that although grain makes up the image, we're not supposed to really notice all the networking of grain dancing about unless we walked up close to the theater screen. At home I sit about 11 feet away from my 46" HDTV, and I'm sure that it would be less noticeable if it was possible to sit back at a farther distance, but it isn't.

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Watched mine last night (70" projection), and I'm very pleased. Noticeable grain was for me, nothing that violates expectations, regarding film stock of the period and variations of lighting set-up. Looks like wonderful film, splendidly transferred to BD.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

If I actually have to "look" for it on a theater screen, then it's not troublesome. But I don't like to see it plain as day in my living room. This is just a subjective, aesthetic preference.

You don't have to see the grain. Just crank up the DNR on your display and problem solved.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I feel a little embarrassed to say this after I went on about grain... but last night I actually sat down to watch the entire Theatrical Version, and the grain was not intrusive to me. I had been reacting to when I'd first acquired the disc and was bouncing around from chapter to chapter, just getting a taste of the quality.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I found it a beautiful looking disc. And the sound was terrific. I was kinda wondering what all the grain talk was about, as that wasn't at all my experience with the disc.

Watched it last night with friends. One friend noticed the same thing I did....the film used to seem a little funny because of some of the shocking lines...not any more. It was VERY disturbing on blu-ray. And it was a wonderful film-like experience. Perfection!

Real Name
Sebastian Porter
The art of color-timing is very important in every color motion picture. When it's done right, everything comes to a perfect sense. This blu-ray edition is a prime example. It is a very beautiful high-def transfer.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Damn. I liked that WB logo. I wish they'd kept it on the theatrical. I might not bother with this release than. It is a deal breaker for me.
The one they used on the theatrical didn't seem too bad for me (although I would have prefered the orginal) The opening logo should match the vintage of the film. The one they used seemed like it could have as it looked a little less modern. If they used their contemportary one, it would have been jarring. But then again, if they didn't use their modern Logo, why couldn't they have just used the original?

so the 'extended director's cut' IS 'the version you have never seen' cut under a different name?
Yeah. Glad they finally dropped the TVYNS title as it would sound quite silly at this point.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by WillG

The one they used on the theatrical didn't seem too bad for me (although I would have prefered the orginal) The opening logo should match the vintage of the film. The one they used seemed like it could have as it looked a little less modern. If they used their contemportary one, it would have been jarring. But then again, if they didn't use their modern Logo, why couldn't they have just used the original?

Seeing as they removed that particular logo on most of the movies of that era on DVD/BD, they apparently don't like it for some reason. It does look a bit dated (like most of the 60's/70's revisions of studio logos) but to me, that's the charm of it.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Don't get me started on Warner Bros. and their logos.

They are notorious for replacing vintage logos with
new ones and that's a HUGE crime in my eyes.

You are tampering with history. Not happy.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Interestingly, the version of "The Version You've Never Seen" is slightly altered on this Blu-ray. Prior to the "spider walk" scene, the quick "flash" of the demon projected on the door when Chris enters Reagan's room has been removed (although the added sound sting is still on the soundtrack), as has the slow fade up of the image of Pazuzu on the wall after she leaves the room. DVD Beaver has a screen-cap comparison showing the difference of the first shot.

Vincent

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Vincent_P

Interestingly, the version of "The Version You've Never Seen" is slightly altered on this Blu-ray. Prior to the "spider walk" scene, the quick "flash" of the demon projected on the door when Chris enters Reagan's room has been removed (although the added sound sting is still on the soundtrack), as has the slow fade up of the image of Pazuzu on the wall after she leaves the room. DVD Beaver has a screen-cap comparison showing the difference of the first shot.

Vincent

I was so happy when I saw that, as those were the superimpositions that I hated the most. Cheesy and cheap. I would have also gotten rid of the demon over the stove, but I'm thrilled with the deletions that were made. Good call.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'm glad those images were removed also, but I wonder why Friedkin (I'm presuming it's Friedkin) felt he only wanted to remove those? What about the face over the stove and Karras' mother in the window? The one addition that bugged me most on the new version was Regan's face morphing into demonic mode during the hypnosis scene.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

I'm glad those images were removed also, but I wonder why Friedkin (I'm presuming it's Friedkin) felt he only wanted to remove those? What about the face over the stove and Karras' mother in the window? The one addition that bugged me most on the new version was Regan's face morphing into demonic mode during the hypnosis scene.

I completely agree. Not only does that ruin the shock of her hand coming down, it also doesn't make any sense within the story.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

Don't get me started on Warner Bros. and their logos.

They are notorious for replacing vintage logos with
new ones and that's a HUGE crime in my eyes.

You are tampering with history. Not happy.

Indeed, although Disney is probably second, inexplicably replacing some logos while restoring others. The RKO ones can finally be seen on the new Blu-rays that have them, while Beauty and the Beast has the new ones. I really love the Blue Castle opening, so it will definitely be missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks