What's new

WHV Press Release: The Exorcist Extended Director's Cut (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I really do not care which version Friedkin prefers, as long as the version I prefer is made available. Since that is the case based on this announcement, I am quite pleased. Also, since this is a Warner Brothers release, I am optimistic that the transfer on the theatrical cut will be well done. Had this been a Universal release, I would not be so certain.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

Well, IF the Theatrical Version (MY preferred version, and apparently also of many fans) is indeed given a second-class treatment and is not restored to the level which 'The Extended Version' is --- then, why should we be happy? Of course we don't know if that'll be the case yet ... but I just want to add my voice to the concerns others have. We want the Theatrical Version to look just as great. Yes, it does stink that Friedkin is now embracing the extended version as the "proper" one.

And I really am very happy with this release. Looks like a great deal, having so many features as well as the two versions of the film.

Yeah, add me to the list of fans who really hope the original WB logo is restored to the original version, too.

That's the problem I'm having with this argument because there is nothing to suggest in the press release that such a thing has happened. They use the word "remaster" for both versions so I don't understand the premature concern here. What happened in prior SD DVD releases has little bearing on this latest BRD release because the expectations and specifications for Blu-ray are much higher than what it is for SD DVD. I expect Warner to try to emulate the previous BRD releases of Blade Runner and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Furthermore, some of us that are cautious and will wait until reviews are posted before preordering. I expect this title will be discounted moreso between the actual release date and Halloween to enhance sold units so not preordering might be the best course of action in that regard.

Many here have expressed the theatrical release as their preferred version which is fine and dandy by me and I feel the same way about Friedkin, the director thinking the extended cut as the proper representation of his great film.

Warner is footing the bill for whatever work is being done on these two versions for this Blu-ray release so it really doesn't matter which version Blatty or Friedkin think is the proper one of the film. Therefore, in my opinion, Warner wants to sell as many BRDs as possible which means satisfying the public's desire about this title moreso than two "not as active" filmmakers vision of a film I consider a masterpiece.

Crawdaddy

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield

I am optimistic that the transfer on the theatrical cut will be well done. Had this been a Universal release, I would not be so certain.

Or had it been a Lucas release...

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The only complaints I've read here were about the possibility of getting only the extended cut version remastered (and let's face it, most 'extended cuts' are not better ... just MORE). We obviously all love the original movie and are excited about getting it on BD. And subesequent information reveals the original will also be a 1080p transfer with a DTS-HD5.1 Master Audio mix.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Blatty was always upset with Friedken over the omission of the scene with the two priests talking about faith and the battle of good versus evil. It is somewhat an important scene as it helps support Father Karras' conflict of his belief in his faith and his "profession." After seeing it, I definitely agreed with Blatty that it should always have been included. But this notion that Friedken puts out that all this additional fluff that he put back into the movie was at Blatty's insistence, doesn't make sense to me. Why would Blatty care that he extended the doctor's office visit scene? Personally, I found all those additional scenes to be unnecessary, slowed the pacing of the film, and took away from the intensity of the entire picture. It is a huge mistake and I'm shocked that Friedken feels that the longer film is the preferred version. But, perhaps this might explain why he hasn't directed anything of quality for decades, he seems to have lost his gift as a director and these comments only further cement that in my mind.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by TravisR

Speaking more generally than just about The Exorcist, some people actively look for a way to have a pessimistic take on everything. They could win the lottery but they'd find a way to turn that into a negative ("I'll probably get hit by a bus on the way to cash the ticket in"). I used to think that I was the most depressing and downbeat person on Earth and the internet has shown me that I'm an optimist compared to some folks.

OMG, isn't that the truth.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Just heard from a reliable souse that the Theatrical Cut is a dvd-r, mastered from a 16mm print recently discovered in a non-temperature controlled storage unit of the now-defunct Braniff Airlines. But they ARE replacing the logo with the newer one. :(

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by JohnMor

Just heard from a reliable souse that the Theatrical Cut is a dvd-r, mastered from a 16mm print recently discovered in a non-temperature controlled storage unit of the now-defunct Braniff Airlines. But they ARE replacing the logo with the newer one. :(

I knew it! I just knew it!

(insert smiley here)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
Originally Posted by owen35

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Blatty was always upset with Friedken over the omission of the scene with the two priests talking about faith and the battle of good versus evil. It is somewhat an important scene as it helps support Father Karras' conflict of his belief in his faith and his "profession." After seeing it, I definitely agreed with Blatty that it should always have been included. But this notion that Friedken puts out that all this additional fluff that he put back into the movie was at Blatty's insistence, doesn't make sense to me. Why would Blatty care that he extended the doctor's office visit scene? Personally, I found all those additional scenes to be unnecessary, slowed the pacing of the film, and took away from the intensity of the entire picture. It is a huge mistake and I'm shocked that Friedken feels that the longer film is the preferred version. But, perhaps this might explain why he hasn't directed anything of quality for decades, he seems to have lost his gift as a director and these comments only further cement that in my mind.

My only beef with the extended cut is those ridiculous CGI superimpositions on walls, and the super-ridiculous incredibly fake-looking blood-barf addition to the spiderwalk sequence.

As for Friedkin not directing anything of quality for decades, that's absolutely not true, because BUG is a sterling piece of work. Even Ashley Judd is good in it.

Just don't let him go back and touch any of his earlier work, e.g. THE FRENCH CONNECTION. Jeezus, I'm glad I picked up the special edition DVD two-pack with the sequel.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I guess I'm in the minority for not minding the color work on FRENCH CONNECTION. That particular thing worked for me on this particular film. Not that I'd ever get rid of the previous DVD with the original color! I can see watching and enjoying both in the future.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Charles, I thought the FC blu-ray remastering was fine too. So that's at least 3 of us, if you count Friedkin. And I did get rid of my dvd.

Jeffrey, I was saying the same thing about the superimpostions and spiderwalk earlier. The rest of the extended cut, I felt really worked well.

Steven_M Grimes

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I thought the staircase conversation between Karras and Merrin was the only worthwhile addition to the extended cut. If less of the first doctor's visit had been included I would have been okay with that as well, but it goes on far too long.

I found the superimpositions to be jaw-droppingly awful. If they had been handled with a modicum of taste I would have been more okay with them. The spider walk sequence does nothing for me, and I kind of intensely dislike the "beautiful friendship" ending. I think it works on paper, but the movie doesn't need it.

I must say, I'm looking forward to the Blu-Ray. It'll be great to have both versions.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
I think most of us are aware of the very public spat between Friedkin and Roizman over the former's treatment of The French Connection on Blu-ray Disc.

With Roizman working with him on the Blu-ray Disc of The Exorcist I know that many are hopeful for a presentation a little more faithful to the original.

The work was done for the release last year, so the disc has been sitting around waiting for a release for some time.

I was wondering if Bill (or anyone else) had received word on what they've done with the look. Have they French Connection-ed it, or stayed true to the original look?

Steve W

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks