What's new

WHV Press Release: Tenet (4k UHD) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Just got an email that saysBD/4K reviews of "Tenet" are embargoed until 1PM EST on Thursday 12/11.

So don't expect reviews before Thursday - unless some outlets ignore the embargo!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Just got an email that saysBD/4K reviews of "Tenet" are embargoed until 1PM EST on Thursday 12/11.

What is the point of embargoing a Blu-ray review? I've never heard of this before. The studios tend to embargo reviews of theatrical releases so that the reviews hit around the time they are doing their final marketing push. Oi they think the movie bad, the embargo Is to hold off on the bad reviews as long as possible. But Tenet is a known quantity, now at least to the people who were okay with seeing it in a theater in the midst of a pandemic. The film itself has already been reviewed by critics and seen by some audiences. I don't understand how embargoing reviews for the disc benefits WB at all.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What is the point of embargoing a Blu-ray review? I've never heard of this before. The studios tend to embargo reviews of theatrical releases so that the reviews hit around the time they are doing their final marketing push. Oi they think the movie bad, the embargo Is to hold off on the bad reviews as long as possible. But Tenet is a known quantity, now at least to the people who were okay with seeing it in a theater in the midst of a pandemic. The film itself has already been reviewed by critics and seen by some audiences. I don't understand how embargoing reviews for the disc benefits WB at all.
I'd guess the idea is to get people talking about the disc when it's close to its release so that boosts sales.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'd guess the idea is to get people talking about the disc when it's close to its release so that boosts sales.

I guess that makes sense. But I doubt they would get that many more sales with disc reviews coming out Friday that they wouldn't get with reviews hitting earlier in the week. If a review really makes someone want to buy the disc, they can just go to Amazon or any other online retailer and buy it right away regardless of how close the street date is.

Last edited:

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Disc embargoes go back to the beginning of DVD. The one I remember from my reviewing days was an embargo on the first American Beauty DVD. We had to schedule the review to go live just after the embargo lifted. I’m sure there were more than I’m blanking on.

Also, I remember being so excited to get my Star Trek 2009 theatrical review live when it first came out I was editing the piece right down to the deadline. Almost every theatrical movie I reviewed had a live date...I had to have a calendar to keep track of all of them.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Disc embargoes go back to the beginning of DVD. The one I remember from my reviewing days was an embargo on the first American Beauty DVD. We had to schedule the review to go live just after the embargo lifted. I’m sure there were more than I’m blanking on.

Yeah, embargoes used to be common. One studio - Warner? - had a blanket "no reviews earlier than 14 days pre-street" rule.

Studios don't tend to send 3+ weeks early anymore, so embargoes make less sense.

I admit I don't get why WB won't allow reviews of "Tenet" 8 days early, but it's their title and their choice!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Yeah, disc embargoes have been around forever. I used to deal with them all the time including having to report a particular website that would constantly break the embargo.

I think all the major BD websites are good now about honoring those embargoes.

However, disc reviews are all over Facebook as apparently, consumers have been able to get their copy early.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Having seen the bulk of Nolan's work and being generally unimpressed with almost all of it I'll wait until the disc hits bargain basement pricing before bothering with a purchase and even then will give it some thought first. I like the genre - just not the director or his writing. Considering he did both with this one puts it on the very back of my back burner.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I'll wait until the disc hits bargain basement pricing before bothering with a purchase and even then will give it some thought first.

If you don't like Nolan, why purchase at all? If all you want to do is see it once, you could just do a digital rental for $4 or $5 or whatever when it comes out. There's your bargain pricing right there with no wait.

I like the genre - just not the director or his writing. Considering he did both with this one puts it on the very back of my back burner.

Of course he did both. As far as I know, the only feature he has ever directed where he did not also contribute to the screenplay was Insomnia, and that was released 18 years ago.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I ended up ordering it this evening from Best Buy. I had a $20 Gift Card so it only cost me $11.

My main reason for going with the 4k disc was the IMAX ratio.

I love Nolan's films so even a bad one is better than most anything else that has been out.

The only thing that pisses me off about his films is that he doesn't like Atmos mixes.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
It will be a great advantage having subtitles. The sound mix when I saw it both in 70 mm and Imax was the most inaudible one Nolan has so far produced.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
It will be a great advantage having subtitles. The sound mix when I saw it both in 70 mm and Imax was the most inaudible one Nolan has so far produced.

THAT is a complaint I have heard more than once on Facebook from people that saw the film theatrically.

The complaint was that at times, they could not understand the dialogue.

I always watch films with subtitles activated so that will be a big plus. Just secured my order with Best Buy. Looking forward to picking up and watching it next Tuesday.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I’m buying the disc but think I can wait until it is $20.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I love Nolan's films so even a bad one is better than most anything else that has been out.

While I think "Tenet" is lower tier Nolan, it's far from being a "bad movie", IMO.

It's just overly complicated for no real purpose - and humorless, too. Nolan has that reputation, but I think he's had decent moments of humor in other movies.

Not here - not much, at least. This one takes itself more seriously than most of his others!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

So don't expect reviews before Thursday - unless some outlets ignore the embargo!

Apparently COVID has impacted my ability to understand how calendars work.

The embargoes lift FRIDAY 12/11. Not sure how I came up with 12/11 as Thursday - maybe because days are now meaningless! :lol:

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Apparently COVID has impacted my ability to understand how calendars work.

The embargoes lift FRIDAY 12/11. Not sure how I came up with 12/11 as Thursday - maybe because days are now meaningless! :lol:

On further review... it's the email from WB that got it wrong, and I just didn't notice.

The email says reviews embargoed through Thursday 12/11 - but Thursday is 12/10.

I emailed the WB rep and he says it's Thursday 12/10!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks